• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 LR action weights & other light component ideas

Trent A

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Does anyone know the weights of any of the more common precision 22 LR actions? Have found it surprisingly difficult to find this information on really any of them I have looked for.

I'm wanting to build a super lightweight yet precise 22 LR. The actions on my list in order of what I'm favoring (subject to change based on their currently unknown weights) are Vudoo, Rim-X, CZ (452, 455, 457), Bergara, Tikka. Figured an Anschütz likely to blow the budget. Leaning to the first two, given drop in carbon fiber barrels seem more available for those, plus they are known for precision. Are there others I should consider? What would your top pick(s) be composed of?

Have any experience with carbon fiber barrels? I thought I was set on a Proof, but, that's really all I'm familiar with. Should I be considering a CF of another manufacturer?

Suggestions for stocks? My shortlist is based on weight alone with the Peak 44 Blacktooth being what I'm leaning toward given it's the lightest stock on the market currently (per their website anyway). Also considering the Altitude CF stock. What would you use?

Depending on my choices I could essentially end up being better off just getting a Vudoo CF Sinister, but would like to try to get it lighter than that, with them quoting approximately 8 lbs.

This will be used for plinking, hunting, shooting off bags. Doesn't have to meet any kind of parameters as I don't compete other than with myself. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Figured I would post as I found info in case others have the same questions.

RimX action: 28 oz

Vudoo action: "about 2 lbs" per Vudoo's email response
    Vudoo DBM: "about 5 oz" per Vudoo's email response

Proof pre-fit CF barrels for RimX (Contour: Sendero):
    16.5" = 2 lb 8 oz
    18" = 2 lb 11 oz
    20" = 2 lb 14 oz

Proof pre-fit CF barrels for CZ455/457 (Contour: Bull):
    16.1" = 1 lb 6 oz
    18.5" = 1 lb 9 oz
    20" = 1 lb 11 oz

Proof pre-fit CF barrels for Tikka T1x (Contour: Bull)
    16.1" = 1 lb 9 oz
    18.5" = 1 lb 12 oz
    20" = 1 lb 14 oz

Emailed Proof to see if I can get the weights of the barrels for Vudoo (03/08/2023). Vudoo did say Proof was the lightest of the 3 selections (Proof, Bartalin, Helix 6) but the Helix 6 was the most accurate. I didn't think to ask for specifics on the weights of each when emailing Vudoo and didn't want to overstay my welcome with too many questions (already sent them 2 emails with lots of questions).

Emailed CZ USA to see if I can get a weight on the 455 or 457 actions.

Last edited:
    Email reply from Helix 6 about their CF barrels:

"The weights are approximate because we are not exactly sure how much Vudoo cuts off of the shank. We should be within an ounce though.

16” – 2lbs 1oz
    18” – 2lbs 4oz
    20” – 2lbs 7oz"

Have not had a reply from Proof or CZ yet.

I shoot a 20" Helix on my second Vudoo 3-60 off the bench out to 500 yards and it is far more accurate than I am.

Although I have considered building as light as possible I am now physically unable to do long walks in the woods. I have ended up building (through trial and error) a Vudoo Apparition with an APAC chassis, 60MOA rail, and a Vortex Razor Gen III. I did say that I shoot at 500 yards and my rifle reflects that.

Knowing what I know now, the Carbon Sinister with a 16" barrel, 20MOA scope base, and a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 SFP scope would be my personal choice. I like zero stops, MRAD, and close in parallax adjustment but there may be (are?) other scopes that will work just fine.

Reactions: Trent A
    I shoot a 20" Helix on my second Vudoo 3-60 off the bench out to 500 yards and it is far more accurate than I am.

Although I have considered building as light as possible I am now physically unable to do long walks in the woods. I have ended up building (through trial and error) a Vudoo Apparition with an APAC chassis, 60MOA rail, and a Vortex Razor Gen III. I did say that I shoot at 500 yards and my rifle reflects that.

Knowing what I know now, the Carbon Sinister with a 16" barrel, 20MOA scope base, and a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 SFP scope would be my personal choice. I like zero stops, MRAD, and close in parallax adjustment but there may be (are?) other scopes that will work just fine.
    Thanks for that information and sharing your experiences with all this! I was sold on Proof before I started looking into Helix 6, and now I think I’m leaning that direction for the CF barrel.

I have a 20" Proof carbon on my Rim X till Friday, when it gets a face lift. Think heavy sendero?? It is over 1" diameter in front of the stock, no clue on weight.
    I considered mine accurate when I shot well, though some may consider it random acts of accuracy, lol, I like it. It also spits ammo out considerably faster than projected velocities.
    I usually walk away from barrels when I rebarrel, this one is coming home with me for 2 reasons, in case the fast tw isn't what I want, or if I buy another Rim X.
    Not plugging for Proof in any fashion, but 2 of the most accurate CF rifles I have been around used Proof carbons. Not enough for me to buy more though, as we trashed a Dasher carbon in 1200 rds, legendary idiocy right there.

I have a 20" Proof carbon on my Rim X till Friday, when it gets a face lift. Think heavy sendero?? It is over 1" diameter in front of the stock, no clue on weight.
    I considered mine accurate when I shot well, though some may consider it random acts of accuracy, lol, I like it. It also spits ammo out considerably faster than projected velocities.
    I usually walk away from barrels when I rebarrel, this one is coming home with me for 2 reasons, in case the fast tw isn't what I want, or if I buy another Rim X.
    Not plugging for Proof in any fashion, but 2 of the most accurate CF rifles I have been around used Proof carbons. Not enough for me to buy more though, as we trashed a Dasher carbon in 1200 rds, legendary idiocy right there.
    on the trashed Dasher CF, was it an issue with the barrel? Do CF barrels wear out faster due to the thinner metal lining? Or was it something else? I would imagine it’s a non issue with 22 LR anyway though. Was watching a clip put out by Vudoo and the guy said there was over 20,000 rounds through the one gun and no drop off of accuracy, if I recall correctly.

Looking over options for stocks, the lightest one I could find was that peak 44 one that I want to say was 22 oz (don’t quote me on that). I just remember looking at it and after figuring in the DBM it was only like 1 oz lighter than the MGT HNT26 and 2 oz lighter then the XLR Element Mg. Guess that leaves it pretty even for deciding if I want a stock or chassis.

on the trashed Dasher CF, was it an issue with the barrel? Do CF barrels wear out faster due to the thinner metal lining? Or was it something else? I would imagine it’s a non issue with 22 LR anyway though. Was watching a clip put out by Vudoo and the guy said there was over 20,000 rounds through the one gun and no drop off of accuracy, if I recall correctly.
    Simple rate of fire the cause, listen close and laugh with me, when the carbon wrap is Hot to touch, the steel is most likely way hotter, way hotter.
    My godson's rifle and he didn't have a dime in it, lmao

• Haha
    What does it typically cost for gunsmithing fees to have a action re barreled? I’ve never had it done before. Does $125 sounds about on par with most for threading a barrel?
    Threading and chambering breech end, + or - minus 400, threading the muzzle for a brake or can usually around 100. Few smiths charge considerably more than my estimates though.

Any idea on what it runs to put a prefit into an action? Thanks!
    I would think a benji or less should cover it. ???
    70 an hour minimum, doesn't take an hour to do this and check headspace, most prefits are close I assume.
    I bought all the parts for my Rim X through a local smith, I just paid for parts, free so to speak. I didn't get wholesale pricing on parts though, lol

There is only one gunsmith in my area that I can find and he has pretty poor reviews. Next closest is a little over 2 hours away. There is a machinist locally that apparently does great work on chambering barrels but I’m not sure what he does past that. Just got his number from my FFL who’s a super knowledgeable guy, and if he says the guy is good I truely trust his judgment after dealing with him the last 4 years.

If it had to be light weight and accurate, I’d buy the Christiansen Arms Ranger. If I had to hand-select my parts, I’d go Volquartsen Summit in alloy, perhaps one of the Kidd ultra light match barrels, and whatever in vogue lightweight stock I found available. The Summit, for those unaware, is a manual/toggle action that use’s Ruger 10/22 aftermarket barrels, triggers, and stocks. I would think a sub 3lb before glass should be doable, however a decent adjustable stock may bump that up a bit.

What is your target weight for the rifle? My Anschutz 1416 HB (factory wood stock) is under 7.5 lb with a light weight scope and Talley rings. A factory Tikka T1x is pretty light, I can't weigh mine, I added lead to the stock.

Mike