• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 lr ballistic data

Snuby642

Two Star General
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Scetchy data not from manufacturer site is all I can find on cci green tag.
    Found a bc listing of g1 0.105 ? Ripped one apart to get my 0.50 length for calculator.
    Cant find a thing for wolf match.
    Just for fun looked up lapua bc 0.172 ? Really 70% better than the green tag?

Personally, I wouldn't worry all that much about finding posted data. Use something close to get on target. Shoot and confirm in the field. In my experience
    Rimfire .22 varies enough that fired data is the only data that I trust.

I had .145 in my calculator and your rite got me very close for 16.6 to 50yd.
    That was in dead air, and i will get out to 84yd asap in the same range.
    Really helps set up a scope without wind.
    Problem comes from the wind with a bad bc.

I did get a bc of .105 for the green tag from jbm but considering it's good performance in my rig
    Find it hard to belive it has one of the lowest bc's i can find?

I guess what I will do is use the .105 to make a range card, shoot note corrections,
    Then see if some other bc will true my calculator?
    I'm not sure the bc will true the elevation much, not sure that has much effect ecept on windage?
    My sniper pro ballistic calculator has a truing function but I think it's mostly for elevation / velocity.
    It so far has been good on the spindrift between 16 to 50yd it predicted 1 iphy windage difference at 16 and thats what i got.
    The difference to my surprise is a difference of 1/2 inch at 100yd, of elevation only in the calculator, between the bc's.
    I want this as good as i can get before i play the wind.

I didn't understand that the bc could be used to true my calculator, different ball game now!
    I thougt bc was a hard call not to be messed with, forgot bc changes with velocity?
    No crono available I was stressing over velocity.
    I downloaded nicon spot on calculator, it has lots of 22 cal listed.
    Thier listing for the wolf ammo seems out of wack at 0.042 bc? Got to be a typo.
    Walley 2960 is rite. Going out now to reconcile my range card, then tweek the calculator for use at longer distance and wind calls.
    Thanks to all!

Personally, I wouldn't worry all that much about finding posted data. Use something close to get on target. Shoot and confirm in the field. In my experience
    Rimfire .22 varies enough that fired data is the only data that I trust.

+1863.9%

A rule of thumb is 7-8 MOA per 50 yards for Standard Velocity stuff. If you get cold, or it's slower ammo, that increases. If you are using supersonic ammo...well...stop doing that. :)

But let's say I needed a shot to hit pretty close at 250. I'd come up 32 Minutes and send it, watching my reticle to hope for some splash and be able to adjust for followup.

Do get used to the idea that you will have at least TWO range cards to get good hits if you are in an area with more than one season. Where I am, it varies almost 80 degrees over the year, so I have to know the difference if I need a first round hit. .22LR changes a lot in the cold, up-to-and-including changing ammo needs in the winter.

-Nate

Reactions: Basher
    Screenshot_20180103-035602.png

This is as close as I can get CCI Standard Velocity from 10 to 220 yards. Speeds were dead on with a Magnetospeed but the ES was up close to 20fps so a high or low shot every now and then is to be expected but first round hits on 3-4" targets is almost a guarantee if the wind will cooperate.

View attachment 6871347

This is as close as I can get CCI Standard Velocity from 10 to 220 yards. Speeds were dead on with a Magnetospeed but the ES was up close to 20fps so a high or low shot every now and then is to be expected but first round hits on 3-4" targets is almost a guarantee if the wind will cooperate.

What ballistics program are you using there?

Thanks.

I’ve never gotten a calculator to correctly adjust for the change in temp and the effect on elevation at 200y. I almost think that the ammo temp has a huge effect on elevation impact. Or the gun temp.

I need to get my Kestrel and Labrador out from early in the morning through lunch to get velocity and impact data. I frankly don’t think that ballistic calculators aren’t that useful for 22lr.

I’ve never gotten a calculator to correctly adjust for the change in temp and the effect on elevation at 200y. I almost think that the ammo temp has a huge effect on elevation impact. Or the gun temp.

I need to get my Kestrel and Labrador out from early in the morning through lunch to get velocity and impact data. I frankly don’t think that ballistic calculators aren’t that useful for 22lr.

Agreed... Ballistic Calcs are not really accurate with .22s. You see significant changes in impacts from weather.. .22s love hot humid conditions and really do not like the cold at all. The best way to get your DOPE is by shooting known ranges out to 200 to 300 yards in different conditions and develop knowledge about the changes in impact due to weather. Once you find the magic brand and lot that works best with your rig.

I recently talked to my gunsmith of 30+ years while picking up some work he did on an ar for me.
    Of all the toys he has at his disposal come to find out he is an adamant 22lr shooter.

In no uncertain terms he said it was a ammo temperature thing and that the standard velocity suffered the worst.

Lines up exactly with the fact that my ammo was cold soaked at about 20-25 degrees f when I sighted in the new scope.
    Next outing the ammo was at about 50+ dg f and had to change 2 to 3 clicks at 50 yards, got disgusted and went home.
    Was going insane looking for problems.

Was advised to keep ammo inside my shirt! Lol

I recently talked to my gunsmith of 30+ years while picking up some work he did on an ar for me.
    Of all the toys he has at his disposal come to find out he is an adamant 22lr shooter.

In no uncertain terms he said it was a ammo temperature thing and that the standard velocity suffered the worst.

Lines up exactly with the fact that my ammo was cold soaked at about 20-25 degrees f when I sighted in the new scope.
    Next outing the ammo was at about 50+ dg f and had to change 2 to 3 clicks at 50 yards, got disgusted and went home.
    Was going insane looking for problems.

Was advised to keep ammo inside my shirt! Lol

On cold competition days that are sunny... I will leave the mags laying on the dash of the truck to keep them nice and toasty! Neat little trick

On cold competition days that are sunny... I will leave the mags laying on the dash of the truck to keep them nice and toasty! Neat little trick

Lol, yea, I always keep my mags and the next box of ammo in interior pockets.

I would really like a .22lr ammo with good temperature stability that was also affordable. I have never tried the Lapua polar biathlon because of the cost. I bet it has pretty good temp stability though. Those biathlon guys shoot very well and Lapua seems to have a monopoly on their ammo. The ammo I tend to use the most (cci std and the aguila eley sport stuff I still have several bricks of) is garbage in the cold and cold is pretty loosely defined there. .22lr accuracy is a dark art in general but making it work well in the cold is straight up black magic and a code I'll admit to never having cracked.

We have used Biathlon in the cold instead of the Center X or Midas +. It has a different lube than the latter and does well out to 100 yards...

CCI SV is a great all around ammo for plinking and having fun, but nothing but Center X for the precision rimfire rigs. I try different lots and then secure a case of what shoots the best.

In some Annie 64's, at least in the ones in our group, the torque on the action screws can actually have an impact on repeatable impacts. Nothing shows deviation from mean more than a .22 rifle and ammo. It's all about eliminating the inconsistency and getting that bell curve as narrow as possible.

Scetchy data not from manufacturer site is all I can find on cci green tag.
    Found a bc listing of g1 0.105 ? Ripped one apart to get my 0.50 length for calculator.
    Cant find a thing for wolf match.
    Just for fun looked up lapua bc 0.172 ? Really 70% better than the green tag?
    Bryan Litz measured the Wolf Match Gold BC at 0.145, Lapua Center-X at 0.155 ... "Modern Advancements In Long Range Shooting", pages 197-199