• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

22 LR build for Element 2

ROCKer

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2005
Madison,MS
I've got an Element 2 on the way and I need to get a gun ready before it gets here. I know it's probably been discussed a lot here but need some direction for my build. Should I go down the 10/22 route? And if so, would you even start with a 10/22? I'm looking for a real accurate rifle that I can plink with and possibly shoot some critters.

how much are you looking to spend? I like kidd innovative design for the money. I bought a stock 10/22 and put a kidd barrel on it with a boyd's thumbhole. i got into that reasonably priced for a nice rig.

I do think you can get a better barrel than a kidd, but it will cost you. coWSMasher runs a Shilen on his and his is more accurate than mine. i shoot about moa with bulk ammo. and the best i've gotten is probably 5/8 moa with some real high end ammo. Volquartsen is another manufacturer. they make good stuff, but not good enough for what they charge imo.

I was thinking of getting a Kidd single stage trigger. Would you even get a 10/22 action or just order a custom action?

D, what's up? Tactical Solutions, a Ruger copy, all aluminum with sleeved barrel is a pretty good buy. The only thing I added was a Kidd trigger, single stage. Loads of fun and plenty accurate. Not Anschutz accurate, but pretty damn good.

Eddie

Whose barrel were you shooting?

I do think you can get a better barrel than a kidd, but it will cost you. coWSMasher runs a Shilen on his and his is more accurate than mine. i shoot about moa with bulk ammo. and the best i've gotten is probably 5/8 moa with some real high end ammo. Volquartsen is another manufacturer. they make good stuff, but not good enough for what they charge imo.
Which barrel are you using - Kidd match or ....?
Just curious as I am getting ready to build a 10/22 and was going to go Kidd Supergrade with a 20 in match barrel. Sounds like I might be changing to a Shilen.

If you are getting a suppressor why not take full advantage of it and use a bolt action? If you like the 10/22 look at the PWS T3 summit, it will use all the 10/22 parts minus the receiver. It uses a paddle bolt and is smooth as butter after a few mags through it. With the hogue stock they are very light and very accurate. Espically with the price you are going to pay for a full custom Kidd rifle, unless you really do want a bench style rifle.

I know mine with a sparrow and a 4-14x44 falcon on it are deadly to small critters ;) They never know what hit them, and neither do their little friends next to them.

Which barrel are you using - Kidd match or ....?
Just curious as I am getting ready to build a 10/22 and was going to go Kidd Supergrade with a 20 in match barrel. Sounds like I might be changing to a Shilen.

I'm using the KIDD match barrel. overall I am happy with it. I guess you have to ask yourself how accurate you want it to be. come to thin of it i think my buddy went with the higher grade shilen, but i think either one would have shot better. this is just one barrel too. far from a good sample to draw conclusions from.

D, what's up? Tactical Solutions, a Ruger copy, all aluminum with sleeved barrel is a pretty good buy. The only thing I added was a Kidd trigger, single stage. Loads of fun and plenty accurate. Not Anschutz accurate, but pretty damn good.

Eddie

what are your experience with the sleeved barrels? I would be expecting to give up a little accuracy for that

I think i should add that my .22 is just a Ruger receiver too. that could be responsible for the accuracy. not trying to take away from kidd. I like what they do. I'm also saying you can build a decent rifle without spending huge money. if money isn't much of an issue to you like it was to me though i'd be looking to get a different receiver. I'd probably go kidd receiver, bolt, bolt handle and trigger. shilen barrel and whatever stock feels good to you. just my .02 ask coWSMasher about his build. he knows what he's doing.

Take a look at the Tactical Innovations Charging Handle 10/22 receiver. It has the scope rail milled into it. Add that to the Blackhawk 22 stock which has a collapsible stock and pistol grip you could have a fairly compact package.

I have a Tactical Solutions SBX barrel, and the bore has completely rusted out. I would squirt a little wire pulling gel into my Silencerco SS Sparrow and pop a critter then unload and put back in the safe.

i have been very pleased with my whistle pig barrel. 16" threaded w/ protector, fluted and matte black. matted with my tacsol Elite 22 receiver and Clarke Customs trigger group, i think it was hard to beat for the price.

what are your experience with the sleeved barrels? I would be expecting to give up a little accuracy for that

I have a couple of match 22's (40x, Anschutz, Win 52D). They are more accurate. Groups are sub 1/2" at 50 yards easily, 1 an 1/4" at 100 yards with tactical solutions. Plenty accurate for critters and a heck of a lot more fun than single loading. Killed many coons, squirrels, and a yote last year while deer hunting and I don't think it disturbed the woods at all. Can is a Kodiak made by Liberty suppressors. Best thing about tactical solutions is the weight. It is very light. I have several factory Rugers as well. They are not even close in the accuracy dept. I am sure with mods they could be but I wanted something I didn't have to modify.

Eddie

Last edited:
It looks like I'm going to order the Kidd Trigger, Kidd action, either Kidd barrel or Shilen. I haven't decided on stock yet.

Sorry it took me a while to notice this.
I am running:
kidd single stage trigger. its the best trigger i have ever felt on a semi auto
kidd bolt and bolt handle i run their heavy spring on the bolt handle it seems to cycle well with all your bulk pack and high velocity stuff that way.
I have a shilen select match 20" barrel
a force productions receiver. (the only thing wrong with the ruger receiver is the metal is too soft so scope mounts don't hold well) a kidd receiver might be better than what I'm running if you do go kidd get the 20 moa lift.
other than that i have a cheap stock as a place holder till i get around to making one.
580144_288159444601394_447771697_n.jpg

best group I have ever shot you could have covered with a .270 at 50 yards
Its almost always sub moa out to 100 and I have had quite a few 100 yard groups in the 1/2" range. 5" groups at 300yds with cci velocitors, but normaly I run federal auto match they come in packs of 350 for $14 I have tried eley and all the other expensive stuff but mine likes auto match hope all that was helpful.

The reason i went force productions on my receiver is that they are the only people i know of who mill the rail right in to the receiver. I don't believe they sell them anymore though.

I'm close on the build now. What else do I need and help me fill the ? Marks in.

Kidd action
Kidd single stage trigger
Shilen match barrel length?
20 MOA lift
? Stock

I have left Force Productions a couple emails and a phone message on their "honeycomb" barrel and no response.
And they don't have an receivers available on their website. Will try again next week and see what happens