• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 LR Dope Card?

BLJ

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2020
Maybe looking to try a wrist coach to keep from checking my phone and writing down my dope for every stage. Looking to streamline a little if possible. At what yardage incriments do you breakdown your dope for your .22LR? It seems as though a lot of people go about 20 yards between with centerfire. I think this ould be to big of a gap between for .22LR. Using an MOA scope and shooting out to around 350 yards. Thanks.

You can figure that out for yourself using the phone app.
Decide how big your target is that you want to be hitting in MOA. Now look at the phone app and bracket that target MOA in the drop MOA.
In other words, if you choose a 2MOA target, and your app says the drop between x and y yards is more than 2 MOA, you need to choose a yardage in between. I usually go with (x+y)/2. My DOPE cards are not in even 10 or 20 yard increments because at farther and farther distance, the bullet is falling faster and faster as time goes on. This is true of all projectiles, at least on Earth.

Reactions: mrt949
Comprehensive UKD target dope for .22LR IMHO is impractical.

DOPE Intervals should be no more than 2yd if shooting long distance.

Just my $0.02

At 2 yard intervals I would probably run out of arm before I could write down all my dope. I was afraid of that being the case.
I was looking at 5 yard intervals today and I still wasn’t confident in mitigating misses based on bad dope. Worth a shot, I guess. Thanks.

As a general rule. I practice shooting for matches. During that time I'm getting accurate dope through an app and then confirmed on steel.

I then look at where my match location is and get the longest distances the location will support and note it.

I then will make stage notes with drop figures if I know the stages that are coming....like in NRL22 for example. You can take screenshots of the stages and use the edit feature in your phone to put in drop figures/notes on the images.
View attachment 7710457

I have my app, my notes, and lastly I write down my dope card out to my max range. I like 5yd increments. It takes a while to do. And you don't have to do it every week if the weather isn't changing much for you. Your practice sessions will immediately let you know if the wrote card is holding up or if you need to add/subtract a tenth or two here and there.

The full written card kept in the back of my wrist coach is a fail safe to my phone battery dying during the match.

My dope and/or notes written onto stage specific wrist coach cards (so like 3-6 cards) or the little white data cards on the rifle are my primary as they require no data....just battery. Many shooters carry extra little white board type cards and do stage specific cards that way.

And my app is the third layer so that if for whatever reason my dope is not remotely holding up. I can go drastic measure of doing what everyone else basically does and make stage notes just prior to shooting the stage.

Sounds like a lot. But really the big wrist coach card is the biggest task and its really easy. Just take your time. Just don't write like chicken scribble as sometimes I've loaned my card out to some to have data when they literally have nothing.

I put a specific stage on the front of a wrist coach card....then one stage on the back in bold sharpie. That way you dont need 15 cards in the wrist coach getting sweaty or lost. And pen ink sometimes is hard to read when your in a hurry....so a sharpie is good.

I usually have to write very little at matches. Usually just bonus stages or amend cards slightly. My time in between stages is spent loading mags and other duties. And you shouldn't have to resort to looking through your entire range card during a stage. That's too much information to parse while on the clock.

Reactions: Mina_ and Went4It
@DFOOSKING. Are 5 yard increments adequate for you out to 350? I understand that there is a lot of variables to that question. For reference I'm shooting SK Standard Plus from a 16.5" 457 anywhere between 1k-2k elevation. Temps from 45*- 85* and humidity up to 85%. Thanks.

I just dont like to have to extrapolate between yardages if I can help it. Just going every 10yds after about 100yds is a MOA per.

Your gonna have to run your own data to bench race when it's important for you to switch cards out. Your targets usually can eat a little error. So a tenth off in most (not all) cases isn't gonna break you. But ideally you want numbers that are spot on.

If I see more than 15°F variance from what I wrote....I would be inclined to do a quick check. Remember you should be shooting in between matches so you will see what your ammo is trending day to day so to speak. During the match you should be able to also see if your shots are trending high or low. So you will easily be able to add a tenth or two if the scenario requires it.

ballisticarc. i do it to the exact yardard for every target whether its 63 or 329. DA matters. targets can be not very forgiving but(sometimes theyre very forgiving on elevation due to the nature of rimfire targets. when a 4 yard difference on a 1"-1/4" KYL at 75y messes with everyone is when you realize how much a few yards can matter

I use Strelok Pro. I was just trying to have a quick refernce to alleviate looking at my phone for every stage. When I have access to the COF before the match, I write down my dope based off of the info on Strelok Pro. I shot my first UKD match this week and ranging, verifying from Strelok, and then making dope card was more time onsuming than I liked. Maybe I just need to figure out a good way to streamline that approach somehow.

They do UKD matches somewhere were laser's arent allowed? Where's that and how long did it take for the match to finish?

Make yourself UKD cheat sheet....

List of target dimensions on one axis. List of mil measurements on the other axis. Yardages where they intersect.

You can put a yardage cheat sheet on one side of a ghetto laminated card and your data on the other. Don't make it small either....easy to see and read.

A mildot master works too obviously but I don't like having to fuck with that slide rule card if I'm in a hurry.
20210928_133454.jpg

I may have mispoke. I didn't know distances until I got to the stage. No target sizes listed for stages either.
I think it's going to be some more shooting and trial and error. .22 seems to be to sensitive to have a general idea to adapt to my specific rifle and atmospherics. I thought it would be possibls to do a general information scenario like 6.5 or 308. More shooting isn't bad, though. Thanks again.

So its not UKD.....its KD targets.

They give you the yardages when you arrive...

I got it now.

You make stage specific cards based on the range card(s) you made for your wrist coach just like I said prior.

And yes, rimfire can be sensitive. But its not like dope is off more than a tenth or two typucally day to day at 100yds and in. A half mil at 200yds is pretty substantial but possible. Keep in mind your group sizes at those yardages as well.

As I told you prior....go to your app and bench race some conditions and see for yourself what is needed to shift your data substantially. A 10 degree temp change is not going to put you in the next county in error. You have a 40 degree temp difference its gonna matter. Thats just obvious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sig Marine
Yes, known distance at each stage. I’m getting what your saying and agreeing. I think I was talking us in circles. Appreciate the help.

Yes, known distance at each stage. I’m getting what your saying and agreeing. I think I was talking us in circles. Appreciate the help.
Do you use the multi-target feature in Strelok? If not check it out, perhaps that and putting the phone itself in a QB sleeve may be the shortcut you are looking for.

KD targets are the very reason for target cards

Target Card (Elite Models Only) Kestrel Elite units hold target data such as range, direction of fire, inclination angle and wind values for 10 separate targets. Target Card is a tool for inputting target data and then viewing solutions for all 10 targets quickly.