• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 LR dope to 300 yds - Wolf ME shooting data

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
This is an old post of mine from 2009 that I thought my have some interesting info in it....

NEW NOTE: added Feb. 6, 2019: This is the "old" Wolf Match Extra, made by SK, velocity was average 1058 fps @ 60 deg. F.

NOTE: Edited to add: My dope is actually in "Inches at 100 yards" instead of "MOA" as stated in this post, see explanation below!

Here's my dope in SMOA to 300 yards, every range was actually shot with a 5 round group, nothing calculated. Bipod w/ rear beanbag on bench. 60 deg F.

DSC03297.jpg

Anschutz 64MPR, Lupy 4.5-14x40 30mm tube LR, Wolf Match Extra ammo, shoots in the high .1's -low .2's at 50 yards.

Hitting a 6" square steel plate 3 out of 5 consistently @ 300 yards w/ 1-2 mph crosswind (held approx. 2 MOA into the wind)

Scope was almost out of adjustment at 300 yards, need a sloped base for more distance.

The velocity is averaging 1058 fps @ approx. 60 deg. F.

Brad

Last edited:
Re: 22 LR dope to 300 yds - Wolf ME shooting data

Good job, Hellbender,

what is the Vo on the Wolf ammo,

was thinking of piggybacking on your results on my upcoming first shoot with a "new for me made in 1963 Annie".

I am shooting RWS standard, very similar to Wolf ammo.

Best regards Chris

Chris,
I've never checked it, as I was getting actual shooting dope, but I will next time I am out (a few days). I will also get my scope height above boreline.

Is your Annie a 54 or 64 action? I am converting mine into a "sniper trainer" and am planning several mods.

Brad

Thay's excellent. And thanks for the info. I have a model 1416 Annie and a Rem. 504 that I will have to try that in if I can ever get to shoot those distances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chris,
I've never checked it, as I was getting actual shooting dope, but I will next time I am out (a few days). I will also get my scope height above boreline.

Is your Annie a 54 or 64 action? I am converting mine into a "sniper trainer" and am planning several mods.

Brad </div></div>

Hi Brad, that would be a 54 action based model, I have yet to try a model 64, as far as I have understood the 54 is the better model and hence it gets my vote.

I have plans for a layaway stock that I have since earlier, it will get the trainer routine done to it. pis are to come.

Best regards Chris

Chris,

Yes, the 54 is the heavier, better model, I had a 54.18 repeater years ago, it was a nice rifle, but that gun is about $2300 US here now and a several month wait to get one.... Hence my choice.

I hate waiting.

This model needs a few things.....

1. The mag catch is small and hard to release.
2. No sling attachment points
3. The 2 stage trigger is much too nice @ 8 oz break, I need to single stage it and get it up to 2 lbs to match my .308, will probably have to trade it out with someone.
4. Ejection is poor, and I will get that fixed.
5. Bedding the action, as it is inconsistent when you remove it and replace, POI changes and BBL is not centered in channel.
6. Stock mods to fit me and my shooting style

I'll try and take some pics as I do these mods and post.

Phil,

Let us know how your drops pan out. The more data we get the better we all become.

Brad

Brad,

Be sure to keep us updated. I have a similar rifle. There is a great thread going for 22LR trainers . Post some pics when you get a chance.

Nathan

You guys are killing me. My 64 MPR is supposed to be here next week. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I've been loooking for a used 64 MPR for 5-6 months and finally stumbled upon one last week. I just hope it was worth the extra money I spent on it verses the CZ I have that shoots very well.

Super dee, the trigger on the Annie are the benchmark for the rest of the shooting world,

Mr Tubbs states that they are the best there is, that is good enough for me.

My old and now sold 54 had a super sweet trigger, the two stage with an exact take up was so good for my shooting form.

Best regards Chris

I picked up my new MPR yesterday. The trigger is outstanding. I may have to increase the pull weight to more closely match my other rifles. The first groups at 100 yards were right at 1" in somewhat windy conditions with Wolf Match. Ergonomics are very good so far.

Updated with pics today:

DSCN0217.jpg

DSCN0218.jpg

DSCN0212.jpg

DSCN0213.jpg

DSCN0214.jpg

DSCN0215.jpg

Long-shot....

My results are very similar, I will get some pics up soon.

Are you coming to the match this sunday, I'm looking forward to the rimfire match as much as the CF!

Chris....

The velocity is averaging 1058 fps @ approx. 60 deg. F.

ALL....

My dope only changed about .375 MOA up at 100 yards going from -900 Density Altitude to +1750 DA today and I have been playing with some bedding stuff. So not extremely sensitive to weather variations.

On my mods to the rifle, I am gonna start a separate thread for each individual mod, lets keep shooting results in this thread.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad,

thanks for the info,

the german seller has sent the rifle to me and it should be inbound any day next week,

at times I like to live in Europe, at others it´s just a pain.

Best regards Chris

Here's some pics of groups, 200 yards will really humble you, ANYTHING (like a bumble bee flying around) makes a 2"-4" difference. Squares on targets actually measure .930" not 1". All groups shot off Bipod w/ rear beanbag.

50 yards......
DSC03305.jpg

100 yards.....
DSC03306.jpg

200 yards......
DSC03307.jpg

A target with 2 each 50 yard (at bottom), 100 yards (at top) NOTE 3 dead nuts under .01 on the right 100 yard
laugh.gif
, 10 shot group @ 200 yards in center (scattered all over, wind kicked up)
DSC03304.jpg

Here's the ones that really blew my mind, NOTE, these are 10 shot groups, which, for me, are 3 times harder than 5 shot groups. I just bought 20,000 rounds (4 cases) of this stuff for $1.59 a box plus shipping!!!

DSC03303.jpg

Brad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had similar results to yours but about 1moa less drop beyond 100yds with Wolf MT.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=924528&page=1 </div></div>

Good thread buffybuster, it's humbling to shoot past about 175 yards as EVERYTHING makes a huge difference. Interesting on the difference in drop, what is your velocity?

Thanks, Brad

Psst Brad,

you just had to let that cat out of the box,

I have shot some of my best targets with that ammo, to bad it´s not available in Sweden with any kind of regularity.

Some really nice shooting there.

Best regards Chris

It is HV, so probably around 1200-1250 fps, but I didn't check it.

I will sometime. I mainly bought it to blast in my AR-22.

Brad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are killing me. My 64 MPR is supposed to be here next week. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I've been loooking for a used 64 MPR for 5-6 months and finally stumbled upon one last week. I just hope it was worth the extra money I spent on it verses the CZ I have that shoots very well. </div></div>

You won't be disappointed , the 64 MPR's are worth every penny!

Pretty soon you will be wanting to take it out to 400!!
Neat to hear the clang

I'd say that's great shooting for HV Ammo. Somewhere around 100yds is where they go through the subsonic transition where things can get a little iffy.

Post some rifle pics if you get the chance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had similar results to yours but about 1moa less drop beyond 100yds with Wolf MT.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=924528&page=1 </div></div>

Good thread buffybuster, it's humbling to shoot past about 175 yards as EVERYTHING makes a huge difference. Interesting on the difference in drop, what is your velocity?

Thanks, Brad </div></div>

On that particular lot of Wolf MT it was 1082fps average velocity (1063min, 1091max) from a 21" barrel.

You know I was shooting the wolf out of my marlin 880sq. while I had similiar drop figures I am not sure what happened between 100-200 yards.
at 100 yards I was shooting 5 shot groups just under 1 MOA. I put on my elevation settings for 200 and Poweii. I went from sub Moa to 8 inch groups(if ou can call them groups) the shots were so scatered that I could not even make dependale adjustments.

Any ideas as to WTF happened

How much wind was there? It there was even a couple mph wind that will blow those bullets around.

Also, when you dialed the scope back to your 100yd setting, did it come back exactly to where it was?

If you're scope is close to bottoming out in travel with your 200yd setting, it may not track consistently. I try to stay away from the bottom 5moa of the scope adjustments for that reason.

Welcome to LR 22lr shooting.

DAFAR,

Look at the last target in my group of four above, All these groups were shot within 20 minutes of each other, just long enough to shoot, walk down and move the target. Tha wind was almost directly in my face at approx. 2mph.... 50 yard-good, 100 yard-good, 200 yard over 6"!! The other 200 yard target (from the day before) above that had a very, very slight, just barely feel it, 90 deg crosswind, much better groups.

Brad

The wind was pretty calm, but it was from the 3 o clock. As far as the scope I did not check to see if it tracked back to 100, I will have to check

Got to check my scope on this gun the other day, (it's a Leupold 4.5X14 x40, M4 30mm tube LRT) shot a group @ 50 yards, dialed 44 "MOA" shot another group and the group moved EXACTLY 22 INCHES up, so my dope is actually in "Inches at 100 yards" instead of "MOA".

SO....if you copied my dope above, change it accordingly!

I am gonna edit the post above also, so someone doesn't mess up!

Brad

Good find. You should have been 23 inches for true moa. Checking YOUR scope is the only way to know what it really tracks. Form what I've heard Leupy's VX's are pretty much SMOA-shooter's minute of angle.
I think the MK4's are true moa however. But again I could be wrong (honestly haven't checked my 16X, but I will someday).

I was checking my reticule for being perpendicular with the gun and measured...surprise!! 44 "MOA" is 22 inches @50 yards! 2 each 3 shot groups....
DSC03312.jpg

This scope is marked "MK 4" but I think it is really a rebadged VX III....
http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products...0mm-lrt-target/

I still think it is a "Best Buy", adjustment is perfectly repeatable up and down, always returns to zero.

I also have a "real" MK4, a 6.5x20, on my 308 and it is true MOA.

Brad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got to check my scope on this gun the other day, (it's a Leupold 4.5X14 x40, M4 30mm tube LRT) shot a group @ 50 yards, dialed 44 "MOA" shot another group and the group moved EXACTLY 22 INCHES up, so my dope is actually in "Inches at 100 yards" instead of "MOA".

SO....if you copied my dope above, change it accordingly!

I am gonna edit the post above also, so someone doesn't mess up!

Brad </div></div>

I think this is why my dope is about 1moa less than yours at 200yds and about 1/4moa less at 100yds. Don't think it makes much difference as long as it's consistent. We just can swap dope, that's all.

Good Shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I think this is why my dope is about 1moa less than yours at 200yds and about 1/4moa less at 100yds. Don't think it makes much difference as long as it's consistent. We just can swap dope, that's all.

Good Shooting

</div></div>

BB--I haven't figured it, but I'd say you are right, if you get the time, try and check your scope adjustments and measure it. It really matters not, as long as you know and someone else doesn't try and extrapolate data to MOA.

HB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rosco P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP, Which Leupy is that on your Ans,,, </div></div>

See link with pic four posts up.

HB

What type of rifle are you using? I have a CZ 453 Varmit 20" heavy barrel and wonder if these calculations will be close in my rifle. I know I need to shoot it but before I do I wanted to know if anyone uses a CZ 453 Varmit and how does it shoot?

Pretty sure the LR/T's art just all black VXIII's, and the VX's are smoa.

SMOA can be converted to true MOA by multiplying SMOA X .955 and true MOA can be converted to SMOA by multiplying MOA X 1.047 (I do it all the time for my USOs in IPHY.

VTR-your CZ should shoot well, all the ones I've had/shot do. Hellbender's dope should be close enough to get you on paper and you can adjust from there to record your own data.

Nice pix, Hellbender. I've never shot at 50-yard targets and didn't realize how much difference in group size there is between 50 and 100 yards. I'm looking forward to shooting my Joplin-Manners 22LR "trainer" to see how accurate it is. I plan to use Wolf Match like almost everyone else, after reforming the bullets with a Neal Waltz die.