• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 LR optics NRL22 PRS

Which one scope for NRL22, PRS?

• Arken SH4 gen 2 6-24

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Arken EP5 5-25

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Athlon Midas Tac 5-25

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Athlon Ares BTR 4,5-30

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Vortex Venom 5-25

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Vortex PST2 5-25 (used)

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

madpat

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2017
Hi,

I’m looking for scooe for CZ457 .22 LR I choose few sights but I don’t know which one buy. I’d like to get it with best glass
I’d like to have 34mm tube.

My options:
Arken SH4 gen 2 6-24,
Arken EP5 5-25,
Athlon Midas Tac 5-25,
Athlon Ares BTR 4,5-30,
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25,
Vortex Venom 5-25,
Vortex PST2 5-25 (used).
Other?

What do you think?

Last edited:
Why are you limiting the choice to those options? What's your price range?

I wouldn’t like to spend more than 750$

On my other rifles (.308) I using PST2 and Razor gen2 scope.

Or maybe other brand/model scopes?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob01
I voted Strike Eagle despite owning 2 Venoms on my PRS rifles.

If you can swing a Viper, do that.

More better glass is more better.

A zero stop is critical. A Christmas Tree reticle is important. Mil or MOA is personal preference

HTH

M

Reactions: Jgore
Elevation is very important. Don’t get a scope that won’t leave you with less than 20-22 mils after 50 yards zero.

Bushnell Match Pro ED 5-30x56 meets all of your criteria, that’s what on my CZ 457.

Yeah going out of the list that would be the one. I am waiting for them to come back in stock to pick one up.

Played with a few Athlon. Ares and Cronus. Very nice optics

Just picked up a EP5 based on some recommendations here but haven’t shot with it yet. On my B14R

I’ve owned several cheaper Vortex Viper PST and had to send them in for warranty. Eventually sold those so for me personally the cheaper vortex come in last

Athlon helios 6-24. Not on your list but better than anything on it. Around $5-600. I have one on a backup prs22 gun and I shoot ZCO. Alison Zane runs one in prs22 as well.

Given your criteria, and based on your list… Arken EP5. Lots of folks been swapping to them for NRL and rimfire, and seem to be really enjoying them. I have had mine sitting on a R700 5R Milspec .260 Rem target rifle since they dropped in late 2021, and it’s been a great scope. Phenomenal glass for the price. 👍🏼

I just put the Arken EP5 on my 22. It’s a great 22 scope. Good for the money. I would definitely rather have a ZCO but don’t want to spend the money.

Reactions: FuhQ
Athlon helios 6-24. Not on your list but better than anything on it. Around $5-600. I have one on a backup prs22 gun and I shoot ZCO. Alison Zane runs one in prs22 as well.

That’s interesting as she shoots for Vortex. Wonder why?

I though so too but a buddy shot with her at a match and said that's what she was shooting.

Guess Vortex doesn’t care about loyalty. Interesting.

ETA DISCLAIMER: Not a slam on Allison's loyalty. Don't want anyone to mistake that again.

thanks for reply, it’s hard to choose right scope I’d like to „pay once cry price” 😉

Now I think about EP5 and bushnell match pro ed scope.

I readed that EP5 has notusable magnification over 20x, Midas has a good glass all over.

@DeathBeforeDismount
I wonder why Alison is using this one scope?

Why do you think so? It has better glass than midas tac (ed glass), EP5?

@hafejd30
Could you compare Athlons to EP5 scopes? What with glass?

@hafejd30
Hard to compare as I’ve only mounted and looked through the EP5. Haven’t shot it yet. I will say my 4.5-29 Athlon Cronus had excellent glass. More on par with my NF atacr. My BIL has the Ares and it’s excellent as well with the Cronus being slightly better. But we’re comparing China vs Japan.

I will say the EP5 is built like a tank. Heavier than I remember my Cronus being. The turrets on the ep5 are huge but sound great

The glass does suffer on the EP5 on the top end. That I did notice. But good to that point. Reminded me of my Burris XTRII

I readed that EP5 has notusable magnification over 20x
This is not always true... Mine is perfect from 5-25x. My very first one was a lemon out of box, but it was from their very first production run. I emailed their CS, and they sent a label right over, so I sent it back, and the replacement has been perfect all the way up to 25x. 👍🏼

Only a few of them have some QC issues, those are just the ones people love to bitch about the most on the internet. And if you do happen to get one with a QC issue, their CS will send you a new one without question. They have excellent customer service.

I have both the Midas TAC and EP5; I'd say the Midas TAC glass slightly beats out the EP5 and a little lighter. The EP5 wins if you're looking at price vs performance. It's not bad at all but I could adjust for parallax much faster on the Midas. Athlon Midas TAC went back for warranty; had it on an AR308 and groups opened up after adjusting elevation. Swapped a Cronus and PA PLXC on there and groups went back to normal.

I originally had the Midas on my 457, but even that made the rifle feel top-heavy(457 Varmint); I want to run the rifle in NRL base division so ended up going with a cheaper/lighter scope. If it weren't for the weight, EP5 would've went on there. Match Pro ED puts me in open class so I didn't bother.

So that counts out the Strike Eagle if using the zero stop I guess?

It would limit it with the zero stop but you can use more moa in the base/mount and make it so the zero stop doesn't need to be used.

thanks for reply, it’s hard to choose right scope I’d like to „pay once cry price” 😉

Now I think about EP5 and bushnell match pro ed scope.

I readed that EP5 has notusable magnification over 20x, Midas has a good glass all over.

@DeathBeforeDismount
I wonder why Alison is using this one scope?

Why do you think so? It has better glass than midas tac (ed glass), EP5?

@hafejd30

Likely just what she's using at the moment. She has been primarily shooting centerfire. So I wouldn't put much stock in what's on the rimfire rifle.

20-25mil would basically rule out many 30mm scopes. I had a 50MOA base on mine and with a Bushnell Match Pro, it shot about 1-2" high @ 50 yards with the elevation bottomed out. Shooting out to 300yd(as far as the .22lr range went; shooting 5" plates), I only had to dial 14mil....max is 18mil according to the specs. I just switched to a 30moa mount so I can have a true 50yd, hopefully I can still dial out to 300yd but looks like I may be using holdovers.

Last edited:
Isn’t she still in high school? She’s a teenager, yet you’ve got grown men questioning her loyalty. 🤦🏻‍♂️

She seems to represent Vortex extremely well at matches.

Don't read too much into it. LOL I was saying that as she is wearing Vortex all over her shirts and they ask you to use their optics and I am sure she can call and say "hey I need an optic for my rimfire" and get one seeing as she does do so well in centerfire. Was questioning Vortex. Not her so lighten up Francis.

We all know that sponsorships in this industry aren't worth much. Free product at times.

Plenty shooters have all kinds of things on their jerseys, and will still want to run other products even if its just to change up stuff to enjoy this hobby.

I'd frown on Vortex much more if they had an issue with a shooter running other products from time to time.

Unless you're paying a shooter a salary, "loyalty" is just a bad joke.

Also, let's just be honest......

If you're winning matches and doing very well, you're going to get more rope than someone who isn't. You want that top name associated with your product even if they want to mess around with some other stuff.

Others might get less freedom.

That's just how the world works. The more valuable you are, the more freedom you get.

Reactions: 308pirate
20-25mil would basically rule out many 30mm scopes. I had a 50MOA base on mine and with a Bushnell Match Pro, it shot about 1-2" high @ 50 yards with the elevation bottomed out. Shooting out to 300yd(as far as the .22lr range went; shooting 5" plates), I only had to dial 14mil....max is 18mil according to the specs. I just switched to a 30moa mount so I can have a true 50yd, hopefully I can still dial out to 300yd but looks like I may be using holdovers.
It’s interesting, many people say to take 50moa base, I’d like to have „true zero”..

Not sure if it was mentioned...but here is my 2¢

Think how long you're going to shoot NRL22 matches which are mostly shot on square, flat 100 yard bays etc with targets in line. Maybe even with painted targets....

The scope you have now or considering now might be perfect for this..

Now imagine getting bored with NRL22 and trying out some field 22 matches where targets are all over the place, unpainted, in between foliage and further than 100 yards.

Will that scope be your limitation?

I'm not saying go out and get a NF, ZCo or TT..but explore options and where you're going from shooting NRL22 matches and what impact a "budget" scope will have on your performance.

It’s interesting, many people say to take 50moa base, I’d like to have „true zero”..
It depends on your scope. My Athlon Midas TAC was able to zero just fine. I think the Arken EPL4 would've been able to zero also due to it being 20MIL vs Bushnell MP's 18MIL.
I'm not saying go out and get a NF, ZCo or TT..but explore options and where you're going from shooting NRL22 matches and what impact a "budget" scope will have on your performance.
What division you pick plays a role. For rifle+scope, NRL Base is $1200, while PRS Production is $1500. Of course anything goes in Open if you go that route.

Reactions: Badjujuu
Absolutely, and thank you for bringing up the class/division limits.

I would like to see some sort of survey /statistics of how long people stay in base class before moving to open. Would be interesting to see .... I know I moved up too fast before building up fundamentals in base class thinking that I would just "buy" my points.. LMAO

So that counts out the Strike Eagle if using the zero stop I guess?
Any zero stop that takes 1/2 the travel is shit for 22LR. Use a combo of cant’ed rail, base, and Burris XTR rings to zero less than 1 turn of elevation off the bottom. Glass quality to see 350 yds is not the same as 1500 for centerfire.

I would like to see some sort of survey /statistics of how long people stay in base class before moving to open. Would be interesting to see .... I know I moved up too fast before building up fundamentals in base class thinking that I would just "buy" my points.. LMAO

Nothing says you have to shoot base and then move up. Buying gear and shooting open from the get go is fine. Just need to practice to get better just as you do if you had a base class set up.

Reactions: Emerson0311

It’s the same in every sport. Watching white belts gronk each other rather than learn the techniques properly is the same thing. It’s simple, but not easy.

Reactions: din
Hi,

I’m looking for scooe for CZ457 .22 LR I choose few sights but I don’t know which one buy. I’d like to get it with best glass
I’d like to have 34mm tube.

My options:
Arken SH4 gen 2 6-24,
Arken EP5 5-25,
Athlon Midas Tac 5-25,
Athlon Ares BTR 4,5-30,
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25,
Vortex Venom 5-25,
Vortex PST2 5-25 (used).
Other?

What do you think?

Which one have you pre-decided on, so we can recommend that and avoid arguments?

• Haha
Reactions: E. Bryant