• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 22 lr scope

Lmatt

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2017
Idaho
I need some advice. I was thinking about getting an ATACR 7-35 for my CZ455 PT. But I am also going to be ordering some cans and still need/want some other optics as well. So I started thinking about saving some money and getting a Cronus or maybe even a 5-25 PST II. I want mil/mil, parallax <26 yards, and would prefer FFP. Is there anything else I should be thinking about? Do the Ultra Shorts parallax down to 10 meters like the standard PM II? I mostly want to shoot 300 yards and above, but will doing some short range plinking with the kids.

Another option is the Kahles K318i 3.5-18x50 which focuses down to ~ 25 yards and is an "Ultra Short"
Let us know if we can assist you as we can get most of the scopes mentioned so far and have some in stock :)

I can’t speak to a comparison of the particular scopes you have listed, but I went thru the same process you are going thru for my CZ455. After reading tons of posts and reviews, I settled on the Cronus. I probably would have chosen the Ares or PSTII but being able to get the prior model used Cronus for the same price as the PST made my decision easier. I really like it a lot.
Great quality Japanese glass, with a good zoom range, that was high enough for bench and low enough or moving around. I also like the size and weight comparisons versus some of the others I was looking at. For the price, I couldn’t be happier.
It doesn’t go below 25yds, but I can’t see shooting anything closer than that, so it was ok for me.

Similar problem here. I'll be going for the reticle match to normal rifles. So pst gen 2 to match razor gen 2

Though the ares etr is tempting

How far do you plan on shooting with the scope? 25 yards is easy even with a scope that won't have a parallax adjustment to 25 yards by just dialing down power but you will need elevation if you plan on shooting out to farther ranges with a .22LR.

Look in this post and there is a Razor II for $1600 both 3-18x and 4.5-27x. I have used both on my .22 and both have no problem getting to 25 yards, even though the 4.5-27 only has down to 32 yards on the knob. Both have a lot of elevation which is important if shooting long.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-bush-weav-great-prices.6889400/#post-7079866

Reactions: Afkirby
I need some advice. I was thinking about getting an ATACR 7-35 for my CZ455 PT. But I am also going to be ordering some cans and still need/want some other optics as well. So I started thinking about saving some money and getting a Cronus or maybe even a 5-25 PST II. I want mil/mil, parallax <26 yards, and would prefer FFP. Is there anything else I should be thinking about? Do the Ultra Shorts parallax down to 10 meters like the standard PM II? I mostly want to shoot 300 yards and above, but will doing some short range plinking with the kids.

I think only the 5-25 PM2 and the FT 12.5-50's focus so close.

My 3-20x50 full size focuses down to 25Y or M??? So I'm guessing the Ultra shorts do too.

I have the Cronus BTR on my 1827F right now and will be trying it out this weekend in our NRL22 match, I hope I like it at least as much as the S&B 3-20, we'll see.

Last edited:
I’ve been shooting out to 300 and I don’t think I’m limited at all by my 4-16 ATACR. You’ll need plenty of elevation. A “Christmas tree” style reticle might be advantageous for quick target transitions.

I ran a Cronus BTR on my cz455 and loved it. I had to scrounge some cash otherwise it would still be on there. Plenty of clarity, good magnification range and adjustment.

I want a dedicated scope for it, but I want to buy something nice enough that I could throw it on something else.

Cheap(EDIT) Less costly option is a SWFA 3-15x, FFP, MIL/MIL, 36 Mils elevation, will focus parallax down to 6 meters, repeats and tracks well, 30mm tube, Side focus. I use 4 of these for local .22LR 25-200 yard matches. I've got an Athlon 4-27x on the vudoo, but I find I keep dialing the magnification back below 20x or less most of the time, usually around 16-18x so I really don't see the 15x max mag on the SWFA as a liability.

MSRP $700, goes on sale around holidays for 10-20% off. With that much elevation travel I can theoretically get to 450+ yds with a 20 MOA base (6.7 MILs for the base and half of 36 total scope elevation is 18 Mils, so 18 + 6.7 = 24.7 MILs usuable elevation adjustment). Furthest I've been with a .22 is 250 yds so far.

2 things I don't like about it, no factory zero stop and 5 MIL per rotation knobs. I have an aftermarket shim kit in there to solve the ZS problem (SH member sells them) but i have been burned at matches being on the wrong elevation rotation, which is why I have shim kits in all of them now.

Full disclosure, I am a bit of a SWFA fanboy. Great glass for their price point and I've never had a problem with any of the 11 I own. A couple of them have been dropped badly, but still track accurately.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope-3.html

All 3 have a SWFA 3-15x on them, 2 Kidds and a CZ455, 0 MOA bases.
6GHPsFB.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: OG10 and Afkirby
I really lije my Sightron SIII 10x50 mil dot. Gets a little dim at 50. I am different from the other guys on hete. I lije to use 24 - 50 magnification on my scope. When I am in the range at 25 meters the center dot lines up with the bullet hole. I like higher magnification because the center dot doesn't hide your hits. I think that depends on the scope also.

Man, you guys get serious about rimfire, don't you? Sending 22lr 300 yards or putting a 35x or even 25x optic on a rimfire never even occurred to me. I would have imagined it to look like you're lobbing in a mortar at that range lol. I'll have to try it. I can't imagine the tiny pills fare well with any wind at all.

I think the Cronus BTR would suit you well, but if there's other things on the shopping list , wait until July. We should be shipping the Ares ETR out then. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Cronus, but honestly glass quality is still on par! It does have a new turret system with very tactile and audible clicks as well.

Man, you guys get serious about rimfire, don't you? Sending 22lr 300 yards or putting a 35x or even 25x optic on a rimfire never even occurred to me. I would have imagined it to look like you're lobbing in a mortar at that range lol. I'll have to try it. I can't imagine the tiny pills fare well with any wind at all.

You think that's crazy, check out longrangeonly for the Big Sky ELR Rimfire Challenge, ELR RimFire Event. They are going out to 500 and 600 yards!

I think the Cronus BTR would suit you well, but if there's other things on the shopping list , wait until July. We should be shipping the Ares ETR out then. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Cronus, but honestly glass quality is still on par! It does have a new turret system with very tactile and audible clicks as well.

I missed a new Cronus BTR for just over $1,300. Not sure How close the Ares ETR is, but that wouldn't have been much of a jump in price. I've heard enough about the SWFA's that I should probably give one a try.

Cheap(EDIT) Less costly option is a SWFA 3-15x, FFP, MIL/MIL, 36 Mils elevation, will focus parallax down to 6 meters, repeats and tracks well, 30mm tube, Side focus. I use 4 of these for local .22LR 25-200 yard matches. I've got an Athlon 4-27x on the vudoo, but I find I keep dialing the magnification back below 20x or less most of the time, usually around 16-18x so I really don't see the 15x max mag on the SWFA as a liability.

MSRP $700, goes on sale around holidays for 10-20% off. With that much elevation travel I can theoretically get to 450+ yds with a 20 MOA base (6.7 MILs for the base and half of 36 total scope elevation is 18 Mils, so 18 + 6.7 = 24.7 MILs usuable elevation adjustment). Furthest I've been with a .22 is 250 yds so far.

2 things I don't like about it, no factory zero stop and 5 MIL per rotation knobs. I have an aftermarket shim kit in there to solve the ZS problem (SH member sells them) but i have been burned at matches being on the wrong elevation rotation, which is why I have shim kits in all of them now.

Full disclosure, I am a bit of a SWFA fanboy. Great glass for their price point and I've never had a problem with any of the 11 I own. A couple of them have been dropped badly, but still track accurately.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope-3.html

All 3 have a SWFA 3-15x on them, 2 Kidds and a CZ455, 0 MOA bases.
6GHPsFB.jpg
Same on my 455 and I'm happy.

I've got a Cronus BTR on my .25 PCP air rifle and another on one of my .22s. You can get down to 10Y with them clearly if you back the magnification down, but it doesn't have true all-magnification 10Y parallax capability like my S&B 5-25s. They will do 29X at 25Y though.

The Cronus BTR has ~32 mils of elevation travel which is more than enough for "ELR" work with the air rifle and rimfire with the appropriate base. One thing to note is I've noticed image quality degrades a bit when you get within about 5-6 mils of the upper or lower elevation travel limits of the scope. The image is still good in those areas, but not as sharp as when the elevation isn't dialed close to the limits. No vignetting or anything like the S&B 5-25 exhibits when near the elevation extremes.

I really like the Cronus BTR. Sure I'd like a locking or capped windage knob, 10Y parallax capability, and I wish the elevation detents were a little more pronounced, but for the price it's hard to beat IMO. Great reticle and glass, lots of elevation travel, versatile mag range, and solid tracking.

One of my .22s is currently sitting scopeless, and I'd get a Cronus BTR for it without a second thought but it needs a 50mm objective to clear the barrel. I'm kicking around a Vortex Razor 3.5-18 Gen 2, and if I want to splurge pick up another S&B 3-20 or the new Kahles K318i...

Regarding the SWFA 3-15, I've had a couple... solid scopes mechanically and silly close parallax range (6Y!) but the glass drove me crazy. It was like looking through a milky haze and it bothered me, reminded me of a <$100 Leapers in the glass department. Sold them. If they came out with an 3-15 HD version I'd try another one, I had several SWFA 5-20HDs at one point and liked them.

I missed a new Cronus BTR for just over $1,300. Not sure How close the Ares ETR is, but that wouldn't have been much of a jump in price. I've heard enough about the SWFA's that I should probably give one a try.

That's a shame! That would have been a heck of a deal. The Ares ETR is very close. The biggest difference when I looked at them side by side at long distance was the Cronus winning out in terms of image contrast and more vibrant colors. Clarity was neck and neck. The Cronus' eye box was more forgiving, but I don't find the Ares ETR to be finicky in that aspect.

I've got a Cronus BTR on my .25 PCP air rifle and another on one of my .22s. You can get down to 10Y with them clearly if you back the magnification down, but it doesn't have true all-magnification 10Y parallax capability like my S&B 5-25s. They will do 29X at 25Y though.

The Cronus BTR has ~32 mils of elevation travel which is more than enough for "ELR" work with the air rifle and rimfire with the appropriate base. One thing to note is I've noticed image quality degrades a bit when you get within about 5-6 mils of the upper or lower elevation travel limits of the scope. The image is still good in those areas, but not as sharp as when the elevation isn't dialed close to the limits. No vignetting or anything like the S&B 5-25 exhibits when near the elevation extremes.

I really like the Cronus BTR. Sure I'd like a locking or capped windage knob, 10Y parallax capability, and I wish the elevation detents were a little more pronounced, but for the price it's hard to beat IMO. Great reticle and glass, lots of elevation travel, versatile mag range, and solid tracking.

One of my .22s is currently sitting scopeless, and I'd get a Cronus BTR for it without a second thought but it needs a 50mm objective to clear the barrel. I'm kicking around a Vortex Razor 3.5-18 Gen 2, and if I want to splurge pick up another S&B 3-20 or the new Kahles K318i...

Regarding the SWFA 3-15, I've had a couple... solid scopes mechanically and silly close parallax range (6Y!) but the glass drove me crazy. It was like looking through a milky haze and it bothered me, reminded me of a <$100 Leapers in the glass department. Sold them. If they came out with an 3-15 HD version I'd try another one, I had several SWFA 5-20HDs at one point and liked them.

So are you saying I should be looking for a 5-20 if going SWFA?

So are you saying I should be looking for a 5-20 if going SWFA?

No, because it won't meet your parallax requirement. The first batch of 5-20HDs many years back had 35Y parallax, subsequent batches have 50Y parallax. Haven't owned any for a couple years but I had a couple scopes from the first shipment and a couple from the second and third shipments and they changed the minimum parallax after the first shipment.

Reactions: Lmatt
For a very good price ive been looking at the Athlon Midas Tac. Specs all seem right and price is excellent.