• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

coyote sniper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2012
ND
Does anybody know if cutting a 22lr barrel back to 16 inches will result in enough velocity loss to be subsonic with bulk pack ammo. Approx 1280 fps with standard length barrel.

thanks for any input!!

Re: 22 lr

Nope, they will still be supersonic in my experiences. I have a 16" barrel on my dedicated 22LR AR and Federal AutoMatch (1250fps) still has a crack after going through my Sparrow. There are a lot of options that dont though, like Wolf MT, CCI standards, CCI subs, REM subs, WIN subs, etc. The best I have found for the money are the Winchester subsonics, Bass Pro here has them for $30/brick. When shooting subs with the Sparrow the only sound you hear is the action working and the bullet hitting the target.

most standard velocity ammo still has a sonic crack out of my ruger 22/45. I have heard of companies cutting ruger pistol barrels down to 2 1/2-3" and threading so that standard velocity ammo is subsonic.

Keep in mind that ammo doesn't have to say subsonic to be subsonic. Most target or match grade ammo for .22lr is in the subsonic range.

Only sub ammo will be sub from a 16" barrel. My customers use sub ammo from barrels longer than 4". This is host dependent, but long story short, if you want quiet, go shorter than 4" or use sub ammo.

I think you would have to cut it down to 4-5" for it to be subsonic.

5 inches should keep everything subsonic, that is part of the reason almost everybody who has a .22 suppressor has a P22, 22/45, Buckmark, SIG, or a 1911-22 (clone). They keep everything subsonic sound good and its something to show off with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bulk ammo is supersonic out of my 22/45 </div></div>

+1. Mine too. 5.5" barrel.

Chronoed my 6" Ruger 10/22 the other day.

1175 with Fed Champion High velocity
998 with CCI STD V
980 with SK+ (very accurate)
900 with SK match. <discontinued or renamed ammo.

Just use CCI SV or SK+ SK is more accurate, but both of these are subsonic and acccurate. CCI had 32FPS SD and SK+ 8-10FPS SD.

In rifle length barrels SK+ and CCI SV are 1045 and 1070FPS respectively.

On a sub zero winter day 1070FPS may be supersonic or transonic, but most of the time that's quiet ammo.