• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 Match...Georgia style........................

wksinatl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2001
Atlanta, Ga
Last month me and my shootin' pard shot this Match. We have been kind of jealous of the Matches some of the California guys have been going to. I'd love to have a Match around here like shooter65 and his crew shoots in CA. I would leave the Rooskie rifles at home for that style Match and shoot my Sako FinnFire.

We found this one about 1.5 hrs from the house. Great guys and LOTS of fun. There are several classes that keeps everyone on a level playing field. http://www.cherokeegunclub.org/HTML53.phtml

The Match consist of the following:
10 chickens at 82yds
10 pigs at 122yds
10 turkeys at 157yds
10 rams at 206yds
in case of a tie you shoot the 1/5 targets at 206yds

The Wolf MT has just enough energy at 206yds to "push" the rams over. A bad hit will hit the target but might not push it over the edge.

I shot my Ural (front and rear rest) in the BRS class and the CM-2 (bipod and rear rest) in the Unlimited class. Somehow, I missed 3 of the rams but hit 4 of the mini tie breakers. The rams are not hard to hit at 206yds, The minis are. I think I got complacent and did not concentrate because the targets were so big but really held hard on the smaller targets and hit them. I trust the gun, I trust the ammo. I think it 's a matter of I CHOKED! Not concentrating cost me first place by missing the BIG targets while hitting the smaller ones. I know, i know.....BOO-Freakin'-HOO...........

My bud shot his Sako FinnFire Range and did great. He shot SK ammo that day.

These are 3/8 scale targets for the normal shoot. The tie breaker targets are 1/5 scale. We made these targets to practice on.

Anyone near here might want to give it a try! This was our first Match there and plan to shoot it every month.

Keith

3/8 scale (for reference the ram is 10" tall and 12" at the widest point.
uploadtargetsforMatch.jpg

1/5 scale (these are now welded up swinger that are all set 206yds) You can see how small they are compared to my Benchamde.

uploadminitargetSmall.jpg

Re: .22 Match...Georgia style........................

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like fun. </div></div>

Yea, it's big fun but you guys got the hot setup. I think the positional shooting would be more challenging plus you don't get caught up in the "who can throw the most money at it" for gear like this leans toward. My goal is to take a 300 dollar rifle up there and do well against some of the Annies costing 6-8 times more.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cattle buyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Look like fantastic fun, when do you guys shoot, location? SW GA here </div></div>

Oh, it is.

The Match is the 3rd Saturday of each month in Gainsville. It's a pretty good haul for you.

The link has lots of good info.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks fun, are you shooting the targets that are scaled with your benchmade at the same distances listed at the top? </div></div>

no. ALL of those small targets (w/ the Benchmade) are shot at 206yds and are referred to as the "tie breakers".

You shoot the regular targets. Perfect score is a 40. You miss one target you score is a 39, etc. Regardless of what you score you go ahead and shoot the mini targets in case there is a tie at the end of the day. You end up with a score like "37-2" which would mean you knocked over 37 animals on the regular shoot and knocked over 2 of the tie breakers.

There has many 40's scored. I was told there has NEVER been a perfect score of 40-6............yet!

Keith