• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 Nosler & 224 Valkyrie barrel question

Ruining your democracy
Minuteman
May 25, 2022
Shithole
Do any of you run an AR in .224 Valkyrie or 22 Nosler with a 26” barrel? Do you get a gain of 50 fps or more in velocity over a 24” barrel? I have a vendor that offers both calibers in 24 and 26” and I am trying to decide on which one to get.

Thank you for your time

Even 24" is pretty long on an AR, never mind if you run it suppressed. Given the two options, I think I would opt for the 24" bbl.

You should be getting complete burn well before 24", it's a small charge of powder.
I doubt you'll get much of an increase.

Reactions: 232593
Even 24" is pretty long on an AR, never mind if you run it suppressed. Given the two options, I think I would opt for the 24" bbl.
Thank you

I don’t plan on running suppressed for now. Which of the two calibers do you like best or has the best chance of achieving bullet fragmentation at 650 yards?

Thank you

I don’t plan on running suppressed for now. Which of the two calibers do you like best or has the best chance of achieving bullet fragmentation at 650 yards?
Why would you want your bullet to fragment?
Since .22 nosler is already on the way out, I'd go with the Valk. It is better suited to the heavier bullets in an AR mag and doesn't chew up the brass.

Thank you

I only have a Valk (bolt action), so can only say that I like it. A lot.

As far as fragmentation, 77gr TMK work wonders on PD's, and fragment well past 650. Tagged two this past summer out past 725 yds; fragmentation was still there.

When you say fragmented, like flying chunks of meat ,and less work the hawks?

I like my Valkyrie in AR-15. It still chews up brass a little. Kind of like the Grendel.

I have a 24" Bartlein on my Valk. With a 5" can, it's stupidly too long. Even without a can, it's borderline too long. Myself, I wouldn't consider the 26". I wish mine was shorter. If I had it to do again, I'd go the minimum length that would allow you to use a +2" gas system.

I was asking @MarinePMI. I figured that was what you meant.

53 v-max chunks them up pretty well out to 600. I guess I shouldn't be surprised if the TMK does past that, the 53 might to for that matter. I have shot them with the 77smk at 700+ but the 77s aren't very impressive up close either.

I shoot a 28" 223 with an 8" can. I wish I would have waited to get a 30" but he had blanks long enough for 28" on hand.

Would an AR-15 gain less for a longer barrel since the gas system is bleeding off some pressure. The muzzle would be way past the port on a 26" with rifle gas.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I was asking @MarinePMI. I figured that was what you meant.

53 v-max chunks them up pretty well out to 600. I guess I shouldn't be surprised if the TMK does past that, the 53 might to for that matter. I have shot them with the 77smk at 700+ but the 77s aren't very impressive up close either.

I shoot a 28" 223 with an 8" can. I wish I would have waited to get a 30" but he had blanks long enough for 28" on hand.
Yeah, not as dramatic as, say 100 yds (which obviously is...mind numbingly explosive), but the ones I nailed past 700 still came apart, just not as explosively.

The 55 Seirra HPBT have the B.C of a brick, but up close at 223 or even better 22-250 velocities 🥳:ROFLMAO:

Would an AR-15 gain less for a longer barrel since the gas system is bleeding off some pressure. The muzzle would be way past the port on a 26" with rifle gas.
For starters, chrono an AR then chrono it with the gas block misaligned to close it off. The difference is negligible. Gas systems don't suck velocity the way common lore says they do.
Secondly, longer gas systems than rifle length are the way to go with long barrels.

I only have a Valk (bolt action), so can only say that I like it. A lot.

As far as fragmentation, 77gr TMK work wonders on PD's, and fragment well past 650. Tagged two this past summer out past 725 yds; fragmentation was still there.
Did you ever try the 90 grain bullets? If so how did they work?

I have tried the Sierra 90 grain match king and it was just so-so around 1.25 moa . I hunt with federal 90 grain fusion's and they will group between .75-1.00 out of a 20 inch barrel . In the last 3 years I have fired 5 shot's and dropped 5 deer where they stood .

Either barrel is really a lot for an AR as far as length. What I would never have again is a 22 Nosler. That thing will be as dead as a dodo bird. Had one for a minute and took a bath on it but was still a happy day.

I have not, since this rifle was built primarily for shooting PD's. That being said, I should probably try them, since this bolt gun has a LHGT barrel, so it'd probably send those long 90gr bullets down range fairly well (less bullet deformation, which can be a problem for solid twist barrels that fast). IIRC, mine is a 7.25-6.5" twist (Bartlein).

Looks like I am leaning towards the Valkyrie. I think Compass Lake makes uppers for them.

Will the ALCO 77 & 90 grain bullets work in a .224 Valkyrie AR ok? Anyone use them?

I have tried the Sierra 90 grain match king and it was just so-so around 1.25 moa . I hunt with federal 90 grain fusion's and they will group between .75-1.00 out of a 20 inch barrel . In the last 3 years I have fired 5 shot's and dropped 5 deer where they stood .
Nice

What range were the deer?

I have not, since this rifle was built primarily for shooting PD's. That being said, I should probably try them, since this bolt gun has a LHGT barrel, so it'd probably send those long 90gr bullets down range fairly well (less bullet deformation, which can be a problem for solid twist barrels that fast). IIRC, mine is a 7.25-6.5" twist (Bartlein).
Can an AR platform have a gain twist barrel? Just curious, I don’t own one or have any experience with one. Really like Bartlein barrels though,have one in a 338-378 & a .408.

Can an AR platform have a gain twist barrel? Just curious, I don’t own one or have any experience with one. Really like Bartlein barrels though,have one in a 338-378 & a .408.
I don't see why not, you'd just have to have it threaded and chambered for an AR extension.

Then you should be looking into Craddock Precision for a Bartlein Valkyrie barrel.
I did not see a gain twist barrel but they have 22 Creedmoor. Didn’t know you could get that in an AR.

Last edited:
I did not see a gain twist barrel but they have 22 Creedmoor. Didn’t know you could get that in an AR.

If you look at Signature barrels under a 16" .223 you would see a gain twist that looks like it ends at 7.7. Why don't you try calling and asking? I see you've shot off on yet another tangent though.

I agree with the recommendation of 224V over the 22N.
I have four 22N uppers from 20 to 28". With care the brass holds up for a few reloads before I start losing pockets.
22 NOSGAR does better with the stronger/heavier brass.
I load long, single feed for 600yd paper (E-Targets). I accumulated a lot of factory ammo on clearance and both Nosler and Dogtown brass.
The 6mm HAGAR brass has to be resized to 22 N and presently can only be sourced from Creedmoorsports in 500 case boxes (I still have 2 unopened boxes).
It's too late to get into 22N if you plan on buying factory ammo at current prices.
I doubt Nosler will make another run of brass for this red headed step child. Go with the 224V.

I'll stick with the Nosler with the supplies I have built up. My next 28" barrel might ship before the end of the year :)
Pic of his and hers slow fire prone ARs
His-and-Hers-ARs.jpg

Shooting 85.5 Bergers @ 3000fps

Last edited:
I have four 22N uppers from 20 to 28". With care the brass holds up for a few reloads before I start losing pockets.
I load long, single feed for 600yd paper (E-Targets). I accumulated a lot of factory ammo on clearance and both Nosler and Dogtown brass.
The 6mm HAGAR brass has to be resized to 22 N and presently can only be sourced from Creedmoorsports in 500 case boxes (I still have 2 unopened boxes).
It's too late to get into 22N if you plan on buying factory ammo at current prices.
I doubt Nosler will make another run of brass for this red headed step child. Go with the 224V.

I'll stick with the Nosler with the supplies I have built up. My next 28" barrel might ship before the end of the year :)
View attachment 7992179
Nice rifles

28” barrel on your 22Ns?

What kind of barrel life do you think you will have with the gain twist and that chambering?
I'm not running it overly hard, but it is a PD gun, so I'm thinking 5000 easily, with likely much more (7000+). Bolt guns get hot, but not that hot, even in the PD towns (especially when reaching out there).

@232593
X-Caliber 28", bull, 0.980, 0.936, 0.925, 7R, .219/.224, Recessed Target crown (20% off sale).
Mine doesn't have a gas port, wife has gas :)
A little over 2000 rounds, replacement for Spring/Summer on order.

View attachment 7992179
Which rifle is yours and which one is your wife’s? Do both of those ARs have 28” barrels?

Yes. Got mine without a gas port, shooting no-gas straight pull.
Wife's, one on the left in the picture, gas gas shut down low and ejector spring cut.
We're shooting 22 NOSGAR in hers, I'm shooting 22 Nosler/Dogtown brass in mine.
Both use a BCA right side charging upper receiver which happens to be on sale now @ BCA for $100 plus shipping.

Did you ever end up trying those 90 grain bullets? If so how did they work and what brand?

I have some 35g 22 cal bullets I grabbed to try out.....about 15 years ago. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
LOL! Yeah, the amount of crap I have collected when the "good idea fairy" smacked me over the head, is mind boggling. Still have a Rem 700 5.7FN bolt (WTF was I thinking?). :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: supercorndogs
No, I haven't. Life got busy, and time got short...
Tried them today during barrel break in with my 22CM AR10. The factory ammo worked well. 2970 and they grouped between .5-.75 inches. Only about 15 rounds through the barrel now.

I chambered and ejected a round and the projectile was fine

Reactions: MarinePMI