• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 Nosler review on Coyotes with factory ammo

Cwyscarver

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2023
NC
So I’ve had my Wilson Combat in 22 Nosler with 20”. barrel for just over a year now. Previously was using a LaRue 5.56 with 20” barrel for Coyote which I had mixed results with. Loved the gun just craved more knock down power. Keep in mind this is based solely on factory ammo offerings. So since 2019 I’ve averaged about 8-15 coyotes per season. With the 5.56 it was always a 50/50 chance for runners even it hit precisely. All 175 yards and under. Some would go straight down using Nosler 55g ballistic tips or Hornady Vmax while others ran up to 100 yards. Based on this I wanted to try the 22 Nosler for the extra speed and energy. So let me just say that for all the naysayers the 22 Nosler is absolutely hotter than the 5.56 on coyote. Actually there’s no comparison. I’m at 11 Yotes this season and all but 1 has dropped in its tracks literally. It looks like a Mack truck hitting them. Again using the same 55g. Ballistic tip bullet. Now is it hard on brass? Maybe but I’m not reloading I’m just hammering coyotes and loving it. I stay so busy with work I have no time to handload and honestly not sure why I would need to anyways. The gun shoots sub 1” using a Pulsar XP50 Thermal scope and it does it every time everyday. It’s very very consistent. I’m not saying this caliber is for everyone but if you want more power than the 5.56, still low recoil, something super accurate and definitely delivers a mean payload then the 22 Nosler is worth looking at.

Attachments

• IMG_6917.jpeg
    IMG_6917.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6810.jpeg
    IMG_6810.jpeg
    685.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6808.jpeg
    IMG_6808.jpeg
    895.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6790.jpeg
    IMG_6790.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6780.jpeg
    IMG_6780.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6826.jpeg
    IMG_6826.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6930.png
    IMG_6930.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
You will notice the one coyote with the bulging eye. Thats a forward shoulder hit that rode up the neck causing that. Now that’s some serious impact energy.

I know there's a lot of hate for the round but It's a great coyote round for me to. I reload and use 52 gr ELD-M. I'm shooting a 24 inch White Oak and it's lights out for them.

I actually almost didn’t buy it because of a lot of things I read but then others absolutely loved it. For me the selling point is it’s about the fastest thing in a 22 caliber 55g bullet. I like the speed of it and wanted to stay within the Ar15 platform and not interested in handloads. So for me it’s the best choice and I absolutely love the extra knock down power it provides.

How fast do you run those 55 grain bullets? What the furthest you’ve killed a coyote with one?

I just went back and averaged the last 25 rounds through my chrono which was from 6 different trips to the range. My average is 3412fps. But thats out of a 20” barrel plus a can. I would think with a 24” barrel 3500 should be about right. Most all my shots have been from 75-200ish yards. So not crazy far but yesterday I shot at one at 346 yards. It’s a shot from a tower stand across a pond to a bait pile on the dam. Honestly not sure if I hit it or not but this afternoon I’m headed to look. Was by far my longest shot. I did go back to look at the frame to frame replay and looks like when the gun when off I was about right on the shot. I needed to hold about 3-4” for that distance as I’m sighted 1” high at 100 yards. Here’s the frame where the gun fired. The scope is on 16X at 346 yards. It’s a Pulsar XP50 Thermion 2

Update: I went to look and found nothing. After reviewing the footage and ballistic info for that load I feel I shot low as I really needed about 12” above the POI I wanted. So hopefully will get another opportunity soon now just need another road kill deer. 😂

Attachments

• IMG_6928.png
    IMG_6928.png
    187.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Reactions: 232593