• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 or .17 hmr

IDbound

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
Central Kansas
First let me start by saying that I am "right minded" so my options are limited. I have a 6.5CM Tikka that I love and want a rimfire trainer. I got tired of waiting for the T1X .22 to arrive and picked up a modified LH CZ 452 that is a very nice shooter. While it is not a Tikka, I can train/learn a great deal from shooting it. I can pick up a T1X in .17hmr but only have limited ammo available. (500-1,000 rounds) for now. Could use it on PD's instead of using a 223 but should probably forgo shooting at coyotes inside 125 yards?? So was just curious of how many others out there had both a .22 and .17, and if having both is overkill if money and vault space are limited. (If I don't buy the .17 now I will just keep waiting for the LH T1X's to arrive maybe this spring.)

i have a 17hmr and will be getting a 22 when i can muster the courage to listen to the mrs yell at me as to why i need another gun.
i loved the idea of faster rounds but if one farts you miss what you're aiming at. 22 might be a little better with farts yet definitely cheaper in cost over the 17hmr rounds. couple of years ago i noticed a tree had come down thinking it was the wind. on closer inspection i pull out 223, 308 and 17hmr rounds. needless to say no one was happy having to move the tree that wasn't scheduled to come down.

tree.jpg

my opinion the .17 for hunting the .22 for long range training on a budget. You can learn a ton shooting a .22 to 100 yards especially if very yardage regularly and if you can access 200 yards you can basically train to shoot to 1000 with a real rifle

The 17 HMR is great for small critters like squirrels, rabbits and cats. It's a bit iffy for anything bigger than a fox.

Reactions: Redfisher60
Though the distance wasn’t more than 30 yards, 17hmr body shot turned the lights out on a bobcat- like hitting it with a sledge. I was shocked. Bullet did not exit. A 50 round box of Lapua centerX 22lr will run about $12. A 50 round box of 17hmr runs about $17 locally. The former is “match quality.” The latter is not. 22lr suppresses well as standard velocity is sub sonic. 17hmr is super sonic and will retain the sonic crack when suppressed.

17hmr is weird- too expensive for a high volume pinker. Not precise enough for “match use,” and not allowed at rimfire matches anyway. More terminal performance than a 22lr, but not enough to step it up much beyond small varmint hunting. Almost as expensive as 223rem, without the performance or reloadable brass.

I have both but the 22 gets MUCH more use...

Reactions: Aussiedan
Though the distance wasn’t more than 30 yards, 17hmr body shot turned the lights out on a bobcat- like hitting it with a sledge. I was shocked. Bullet did not exit. A 50 round box of Lapua centerX 22lr will run about $12. A 50 round box of 17hmr runs about $17 locally. The former is “match quality.” The latter is not. 22lr suppresses well as standard velocity is sub sonic. 17hmr is super sonic and will retain the sonic crack when suppressed.

17hmr is weird- too expensive for a high volume pinker. Not precise enough for “match use,” and not allowed at rimfire matches anyway. More terminal performance than a 22lr, but not enough to step it up much beyond small varmint hunting. Almost as expensive as 223rem, without the performance or reloadable brass.

I have both but the 22 gets MUCH more use...

I think you pretty much summed up what I was starting to think after I read some of the other responses. My wife thanks you and I will keep patiently waiting for the .22 T1X's to arrive.

For those dogging the 17hmr...

22lr Lapua CenterX
40 gr
MV 1080 fps
With a 50 yard zero, this bullet drops 2.1 mil at 100 yards and moves 1.3 mil in a 10 mph wind

17 hmr Hornady 17gr vmax
17 gr
MV 2550
With a 50 yard zero, this bullet drops 0.1 mil at 100 yards and moves 0.9 mil in a 10 mph wind.

The 22lr catches up to the 17hmr in wind at 300 yards, both moving 3.6 mil in a 10 mph wind. But, while the 17hmr drops 3.4 mil, the 22lr drops 14.6 mil.

It is a light bullet, but it is screaming fast. If there were true match quality ammunition available, the 17hmr would absolutely skull-fuck the 22lr. But, alas, you play the rimfire lottery on rigged machines with the 17.

Ive had a couple 17HMRs. Good for small stuff and water bottles. Flat and fast. But forget it for anything bigger than a rabbit or skunk.

If you want to shoot any steel matches they usually only allow 22lr as 22 mag and 17 will chew up the typical 22 steel targets in short order.

If it's a hunting rifle then 17hmr is far superior, an easy 120yard cartridge on small game.
22lr on the other hand is far better for a cheap plinking/training rifle.

I have a 17hmr CZ 452 that sees very little use but is my preferred choice for longer range small game.
My 22s (T1x, CZ 452 amd Remington 597) get used if I want to hunt with subsonic and a suppressor or for training for NRL/PRS style events.

For learning long range wind reading, positional shooting etc, 22lr is definitely the better way to go.

I have two friends that were real keen on 17 for a while, one has sold his now.

It's a bit too in between, doesn't shoot as flat or have anything like the knock-down of a 223, more expensive than 22lr. Even in Australia you can by 22 ammo good enough to practice or hunt with for less than or around 10c a round at pretty much any gun shop. Nothing close with 17, again the step to 223 isn't much, can buy it anywhere and reload or sell brass if you want to recover costs.