• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 precision trainer help

Jgrovem110

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Hey guys planning on building a 22 trainer I’m looking at a CZ 457 varmint pro and varmint precision trainer. I really like the look of the precision trainer but not sure if it’s worth the price over the varmint pro? Looking for input between the 2 to see if it’s worth getting the VPT or just the PV thanks.

Honestly if you’re looking at the Trainer version, I’d go to the chassis first. My personal feeling on it, but I’ll never shoot another scoped rifle without a cheek riser if I can help it. Getting a consistent cheek weld is too important to my shot process to consider a precision rig without.

You can aftermarket one on there, but that’s another $300 maybe for a swanky one, or $50 for a Kydex, or you can just strap one on but those always look sloppy to me.

The CZ 457 is a great platform for the money though, you’ll be very happy with the accuracy.

Reactions: Jgrovem110
I love the feel of the CZ in the Manners stock and the new one has a cheek riser, though I have not seen that one in person, but I would say yes it’s worth the extra money. As long as you like the CZ feel and leave it in that stock and just add a arca rail you should be good. The problem starts when someone buys a CZ because of budget then starts changing chassis, triggers and what not that is CZ specific then decide they want a Vudoo, RimX, or some other 700 based variant.
A Bergara would be a better choice in the last scenario as your chassis and triggers follow.
My friend’s CZ At-One shoots as good as my Vudoo with lot tested ammo.
Other things to consider is if it’s a trainer are full size mags important to you?
Are you shooting NRL or NRLX matches with the 22?
Will you shoot any 22 benchrest matches?
I believe that all CZ 457 action that has a $1600 MSRP is eligible for factory class and Bergara @ $1100 is not.
One last thing the CZ in the Manners get a match chamber in I think a 16.2” heavy barrel instead of the 16.5”.

Hey thanks I plan on leaving it in a s
I love the feel of the CZ in the Manners stock and the new one has a cheek riser, though I have not seen that one in person, but I would say yes it’s worth the extra money. As long as you like the CZ feel and leave it in that stock and just add a arca rail you should be good. The problem starts when someone buys a CZ because of budget then starts changing chassis, triggers and what not that is CZ specific then decide they want a Vudoo, RimX, or some other 700 based variant.
A Bergara would be a better choice in the last scenario as your chassis and triggers follow.
My friend’s CZ At-One shoots as good as my Vudoo with lot tested ammo.
Other things to consider is if it’s a trainer are full size mags important to you?
Are you shooting NRL or NRLX matches with the 22?
Will you shoot any 22 benchrest matches?
I believe that all CZ 457 action that has a $1600 MSRP is eligible for factory class and Bergara @ $1100 is not.
One last thing the CZ in the Manners get a match chamber in I think a 16.2” heavy barrel instead of the 16.5”.
i plan on leaving it in a stock configuration, as far as training goes the mags and and stuff don’t really matter to me I’m just in it for the inexpensive marksmanship practice. I would consider the PSR style matches.

Also is there a difference between the 2 rifles besides the stock ? I couldn’t find anything on CZs website stating there’s a difference in barrels/triggers/action etc.

Have you handled, shot any of them? My recommendation would be to shoot the different models if you can.

Also is there a difference between the 2 rifles besides the stock ? I couldn’t find anything on CZs website stating there’s a difference in barrels/triggers/action etc.

This is the one I was referring to, I handled one a few weeks ago in LGS but it was last years model without the adjustable cheek. I almost bought it, I think it was $1199.

As far as CZ 457 action and barrel, you shouldn't be disappointed.
Whichever stock you go with comes with a lot of personal preference and maybe budget constraints.
The two models you mentioned if I am correct are really just separated by the Boyd's black laminate and the Manners CF stocks. With neither having a cheek rest it's hard to justify the coin for that Manners.
The Manners VPT - MTR, on the other hand does have a cheek rest and flattened forearm ready for an arca rail (if competition is also on your radar) but also the tippy top price.
I started down the rimfire rabbit-hole with the pro varmint, if you are cross training you will want a cheek rest to keep things as similar as possible. I eventually put mine in a chassis- which puts you up to the MTR price point (MTR did not exist for me at that time).
As always, it depends on how serious you feel about the rimfire thing. The spectrum being plinking to full-out competition and where you land in between.
But, of course, everything you spend for the CZ is forever with this rifle as that is the argument for the Rem 700 footprint variety.
The rimfire rabbit-hole.

Very cool how do you like it?
Said almost bought it, if it had the adjustable cheek for that price I would have. I might still end up with one just because I like it and give it to my wife to shoot because it makes factory class in ARA. That day in the LGS also handled a Christensen Ranger and a Bergara BMR. Out of those bases on feel I would take CZ hands down.

As far as CZ 457 action and barrel, you shouldn't be disappointed.
Whichever stock you go with comes with a lot of personal preference and maybe budget constraints.
The two models you mentioned if I am correct are really just separated by the Boyd's black laminate and the Manners CF stocks. With neither having a cheek rest it's hard to justify the coin for that Manners.
The Manners VPT - MTR, on the other hand does have a cheek rest and flattened forearm ready for an arca rail (if competition is also on your radar) but also the tippy top price.
I started down the rimfire rabbit-hole with the pro varmint, if you are cross training you will want a cheek rest to keep things as similar as possible. I eventually put mine in a chassis- which puts you up to the MTR price point (MTR did not exist for me at that time).
As always, it depends on how serious you feel about the rimfire thing. The spectrum being plinking to full-out competition and where you land in between.
But, of course, everything you spend for the CZ is forever with this rifle as that is the argument for the Rem 700 footprint variety.
The rimfire rabbit-hole.
Thanks for the info, very helpful I may try to find a deal on a MTF the cheek riser sounds like a nice feature

Anyone have any input for a good scope to put on a 22 trainer? I was thinking like a trigicon credo or meopta optika 6?

Yeah I think the SE EBR-7C is actually one of your best options. The other top choice would the Arken EP5.