• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk 22 Production Question

DRush71

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2020
Ohio
Looking to get a rifle for production division to shoot prs 22. Leaning toward CZ 457 MTR and was wondering if cutting a out a comb from the stock and putting in an adjustable comb kit would cause issues with shooting production division. I read through the rules and nothing really points it out. I know you can add on top of the stock but wasn't sure if cutting into it would make a difference.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
You are correct the rules do not say anything about being not allowed to do that. It would seem to go against the intent of the class (other organizations do not let you permanently alter the stock and remain in production/base). I think it would be worth while to reach out to you local match director or regional match director and ask before doing anything.

Thought it had to come from the factory that way, what would stop people swapping stocks to get a better fit.

2.3.2 Rifle: For the purpose of the Production Division, a rifle is defined as a publicly available rifle per the original manufacturer’s configuration of a complete firearm which will be comprised of at least but not limited to the following: stock with bottom metal or chassis, a complete action, a barrel, and a trigger mechanism.

Last edited:
I started shooting .22 matches with a Bergara BMR. Realized fairly quickly that it was really really light to be competitive in Base class. I took 9 shot and epoxy and filled the chambers in the stock. Once done I added an ARCA rail to the fore end. Neither of those modifications negated the rifle from being used in base class. You just can't go swapping stocks....

I'm assuming the rules are similar between PRS22 and centerfire PRS. If so, you can absolutely do that. Some may complain, but it's perfectly within the rules at least in centerfire. Example, you can have a manners modified to include a Sikes clutch and it won't disqualify the rifle. As long as the stock isn't swapped for another, make whatever modifications you like.

No looking for a fight but the rules say adjusting for proper cheek weld and bedding allowed. Nothing about adding weight. Which is what makes shooting base class hard. You should ask them.
But there's nothing stopping you from adding a pile of internal or external weights if you have a base gun in a chassis. What's the difference?

If you intend to shoot production, shoot it the way it came from the factory
Would that mean adding a rail for a bipod would be out?

From what I've gathered adding an ARCA rail would be acceptable in production.

My preference would be not to allow it. If you want to add all the extras just move to open.

i shot a CZ 457 my first year and it didn’t hold me back at all the way it came from the factory. I moved to open to get the gun feeling like my centerfire rifles.

No, I have asked both PRS and NRL and the general rule is, if you have to drill, cut or modify something that doesn't bolt on with existing holes or mlock ect, its an illegal modification.

You can add an arca rail if there is already attachment points. You cannot drill a hole or expoxy a rail on and remain in base/production. I talked to travis about this and he confirmed.

This is why its important to pick a gun that will allow you to stay in that class and add stuff without being outside of the rules.

So I can tell you that there have been many people who shoot production with a cheek riser. One was shot at nrl22 nationals in production but it does suck that it's a subjective ruling and it will depend if the MD or whoever wants to see it that way. Screwing in a riser is no different than installing an adjustable one for most MDs. Milling the bottom of your stock flat is 100% against the rules but adding an arca is legal. I don't think anyone has ruled on filling the inner cavity under the barrel but since you could do it in a non permanent manner I doubt they could rule against it.