• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 Recommendations

Laser1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2009
The Great State of Texas
A buddy of mine is looking for a used .22 rifle for his daughter that will shoot .22 short, long and long rifle rounds interchangably. It needs to be a bolt action with a tube feed. Any ideas what brand and model he should look into?

Re: .22 Recommendations

Some of the old Marlins would fit the bill. But I wonder why he would care if it only shot .22 LR? Who would buy shorts or longs today? Unless he has them on hand, just go with the .22 LR and forget about it. More accurate, less expensive and I doubt the kid is going to be shooting cats out the back door anyway.
RTH

A friend whose father had passed away gave him 6K rounds of mixed .22. Thats the reason for needing something that will shoot shorts, longs and long rifle. Probably should have clarified that in my initial post.

Tell him to get a used Marlin Model 39A. It'll handle all of those .22 chamberings, tube magazine, and one hell of a nice little rifle. He should be able to find a few at local gun shows.

The Old Henry rifles lever action can shoot 22LR and 22 Shorts, maybe longs also. I've never owned one but it's a good looking lever action.

The remington 572 fieldmaster is tube fed and can handle shorts, longs and long rifle, but it's a pump action not a bolt action. I have an old rem 552 speedmaster which is almost the same rifle, but in a semiauto.

Everyone seems to be giving you bogus answers that don't fit the criteria.

Get a Marlin XT-22TR. It's the tube fed version of Marlins new .22 bolt action with the ProFire trigger.

MFCXT-22TR-70821-lg.jpg

Some older Marlins work as well, like the 981T model, for a bit cheaper.

zoom_981T.jpg