• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .22 suppressor question

cp3head

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2010
Pennsylvania
After searching on here I have read many opinions on .22 suppressors. I am looking at the following two: Silencero Spectre 2 and the Rugged Occulus. The intended purpose will be for pistol, bolt and semi auto rifles. For those using both, what are the pros and cons of each? I am mostly interested in discernible differences, or is this a Ford vs Chevy debate? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as this is my first entry into the world of suppressors.

Reactions: DFOOSKING
I can't vouch for those two, but I have two Liberty cans plus and integral and all three have very discernable differences for a .22 can. IMO/E, there's a lot more difference between .22 cans than there is the larger ones. The Liberty Regulator is the most quiet can I've ever used and it's super simple too (they admitted to hitting on it by accident too just fucking around). Almost too simple to work. The Essence cost twice as much, weighs 1oz. or so less but has more noticeable FRP and is a bit louder; cost is probably due to Ti core, more machining steps, more complicated build. The Regulator is quiet enough that I mostly use it on a PPK/S simply because the action is quieter and that's what's making all the noise with this can. 1cc of water and it's basically silent, just the clacking of the action.

The integral Pinnacle 2 is by far the most quiet with basically no FRP (also a Liberty --I just like them for .22 stuff, most of my other stuff is TBAC, Sico, Elite, etc.). It also went into a Kidd action and Titan stock so it's also the best 10/22 I've ever used. Snapping fingers quiet.

Most .22 cans use similar baffle stacks from what I've seen. The Liberty cans are monocore. This is nice because the core is what is threaded and in a takedown can, wear and tear can end up causing the baffles to go back in out of line (some have a sleeved core because of this, to prevent it, I think the Sico has that, not sure). That's the major difference between Liberty cans and others in general. I'm not a big fan of their larger cans, I have a Mystic X and it's fine really, but I swear by their .22 stuff.

You definitely want it takedown, and I'd avoid aluminum too. Other than that, they're all pretty good (the reputable mfg.'s) and the only differences will be noticeable when side by side. If I didn't have the Regulator and the Essence, I wouldn't know the difference.

The Sico can has been around forever and lots of people swear by it. TBAC also makes a takedown .22 can and only heard good about it. There's a silencer forum, I forget the name offhand but you can find it easy enough, and that's their gig, comparing cans and what not.

I've got a couple spectre 2's. I am happy with them. My gemtech is quieter, and I like the 3 lug QD for pistols. When I bought, the tbac 22 takedown wasn't available, and I wouldn't buy a non user serviceable rimfire can.

just put a 22 can in jail (dead air mask) but the biggest thing friends said to consider when looking at 22 cans is how easy they are to disassemble and clean. shooting most 22lr ammo is dirty and the biggest hassle is cleaning the crud that accumulates in the can.

can't help with knowledge of those two but I had looked at the Spectre 2 because of the 22 hornet compatibility... it's a solid can with good reviews and has been around for a while.

I have a dead air mask. Looked at them all and likes this one best. Very very happy with it.

I have the Thunder Beast 22 Take Down and can't say enough good things about it. Baffle stack is machined so it only goes back together one way so there is no way for misalignment. I don't have any experience with other 22 cans but the Take Down is extremely quiet. In my research before buying, I found most agreed that the Mask and Take Down where pretty much top of the class.

I have a pile of 22 cans. My Thunderbeast TakeDown and SiCo Sparrow get the most use.

The TakeDown is really quiet with minimal FRP and the small OD means you can still use the sights on your pistol.

My Sparrow gets most of its use on my M-16 RR on full auto. Being a monocore with a sleeve, its really easy to clean. Kinda heavy and loud for a pistol can though.

Thank you for the responses. For those rocking more than one .22 can, is it a functionality thing or an addiction thing?

I have the Oculus and love it. It is a heavier can being stainless baffles but take down and clean up is so easy. I have no discern-able FRP with it, at least to my ears anyways. I run it on my S&W Victory, P22, M&P 15-22, and CZ 455 V with no problems just miles of smiles.

For those rocking more than one .22 can, is it a functionality thing or an addiction thing?

Both. I have 3 TBAC rimfire cans. A L1 on a 17hmr, L1 on a bolt 22 and S1 on a bolt 22. I run them on multiple Rugger pistols as well. I have an AAC Element 2 in nfa jail. Plan to pick up another S1 if I can find one in stock, and a TD at some point. Suppressed rimfire is awesome. My kids prefer it as well.

I have the Thunder Beast 22 Take Down and can't say enough good things about it. Baffle stack is machined so it only goes back together one way so there is no way for misalignment. I don't have any experience with other 22 cans but the Take Down is extremely quiet. In my research before buying, I found most agreed that the Mask and Take Down where pretty much top of the class.

Another one for that TBAC 22 takedown. Damn fine can......

I've got a Liberty Essence and a SiCo Sparrow. The Sparrow has some FRP on a pistol host, but other than that they sound the same. I don't notice any FRP on 16in+ rifles. The benefit of the Sparrow is the sleeved core -- it's basically impossible to get stuck, so I rarely clean it. I baby the Liberty and take it apart after every session. I'd like to get a non-monocore stainless one that I could wet tumble to clean -- worried that SS pins would damage the threads on the Sparrow monocore.

re: your other question - I don't ever shoot 22's without cans anymore. Everyone loves CCI SV 22LR with a can. It's a really approachable way to teach people to shoot as well.

Reactions: Snuby642