• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 trace through scope?

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Hey guys, I recently was shooting with a buddy at targets from 200-300 yards with a savage 22lr. I had the spotter scope up and could see trace, i have seen trace on a 308 round but never a 22! I was wondering if anyone practices at these distances and can see their own trace? Is it just a matter of adjusting the focus in the scope? Thanks

Re: 22 trace through scope?

Shooting subsonic 22lr under the right conditions I've seen the bullet with the rifle scope a lot. From 50 to 150 yd usually.

Shooting with your back to the sun makes it easier to observe the bullet.
I remember the first time I saw a subsonic 22 inbound on a ground hog.
I was completely shocked to see a gray blur flying towards the groundhog through the scope, then a puff of dust where it intersected with its ribs.

I observe the bullet arcing into the POI through the scope at 50yd nearly all the time, but I don't think it's trace, I think I'm seeing the actual bullet.

My 10/22 is rather heavy. The scope image appears completely stationary when firing, and the bullet looks like a fly hopping up and down in front of the center bull.

Greg

I've never seen the trace from my .22, but I also see the bullet a good deal of the time. I really try to see it every time to ensure I'm not blinking.

I see the bullet alot when I shoot 100yds. Its kinda funny to watch this tiny black dot rise up and then fall into the paper.

Kinda looks like a fly.

I thought trace was the visible evidence of the air being disturbed by supersonic flight... I don't believe a .22 will show you trace by that definition, especially when using match or subsonic ammo.

BUT... you can see the bullet in flight.

I've seen the bullet through my scope quite a few times. Like someone else mentioned, it happens most with the sun at your back.

Was shooting CCI Std Vel at 100yd with a Sav MkII and could call a hit or miss before the bullet impacted the target by watching the trajectory of the bullet. First time I observed this phenomenon coincidentally..

I've seen trace while shooting with my bro. He'd shoot and I'd look through the scope on my rifle to spot his hits, and I could see a little shock wave type deal. Was kinda neat.

I dont know how many of you have tried but I have seen .22 trace. They were not subsonic rounds tho.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen 22lr trace but I watch the bullet in flight quite often when the light is right or when shooting on a light target background. Last squirrel season I was able to follow one into my quarry from ~70 yards due to a fresh snow back ground. Good glass helps. super or sub sonic, it doesnt seem to make a difference.

I can see the bullet a lot of the time, but I don't ever remember seeing a trace. I seems to help with the sunlight coming frome behind. Watching the bullet fly into the target is kinda' fun.

With "perfect" conditions you can see the bullet trace almost all the time.
High humidity, sun at your back in a shady shooting position. It sure is fun to see that little round arc onto target
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kaaden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It sure is fun to see that little round arc onto target
grin.gif
</div></div>

It is until you watch that one bullet pretend it's a bowling ball and hook an inch or two away from a beautiful 4 shot group.

I've seen the bullet in flight a few times. The first time I saw it I thought I was hallucinating. I was shooting some copper washed bullets out of my 10/22 real close to sunset with the sun at my back. I kept seeing little gold colored blobs that looked like fast moving bugs. Then I realized what I was seeing.

I have seen the trace several times. Most the time its real faint. One time though me and a friend (will76) were shooting about 150yards with the 22, and we got caught in the rain. Kept shooting. During and after the rain, it was amazingly obivious. I believe that was the first time I had ever seen it in person. I dont remeber seeing it throught the SS scope. But it was as clear as could be through my Pentax spotter. It was amazing to see it go out then what seemed like dropped straight down on the the metal targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoublesShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kaaden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It sure is fun to see that little round arc onto target
grin.gif
</div></div>

It is until you watch that one bullet pretend it's a bowling ball and hook an inch or two away from a beautiful 4 shot group.
</div></div>
^^^ Winner... freakin' greatness.

I agree with many of the above. I have seen the bullet, but it is not trace, it is the actual bullet. I have noticed that if I focus on the top of the FOV when I shoot as opposed to on the center of the reticle, I can usually pick it up really well. Of course, I can see where the bullet lands anyway, so that is not horribly useful. Fun to watch, though.

sun behind you , and a humid day with the adjustable objective just a wee bit out of focus at 100 or 200 yards will allow you to see it.

sometimes you'll even - for a split second - catch the shadow of the bullet just before it connects.

Last night was perfect for this. Sun at my back, shooting subsonics, I saw every round sail into the target. It helped I was at 24x. I think it's more fun when I can see the rounds go in.