• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 trainer ?'s

triceratops3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Northern VA
Hi everyone,

I've been looking at .22 bolt actions for awhile now with the intention of making it into a trainer for my bigger rifles.

I have been looking at savage and cz rifles. My question is what does everyone think about a heavy barrel on a .22? I think I would want a heavy barrel just so it would feel more like my other rifles but don't think it would be necessary, especially if I want to do a little bit of squirrel and rabbit hunting with it.

But the only lefthanded rimfire from cz and savage with a heavy barrel is the savage btvlss. the cz452 or savage mkII both have regular barrels, which to me would look dumb in a manners stock with the bull barrel inlet.

Which brings me to my next point is that from my understanding from the savage t4 group buy thread manners only makes right handed stocks for the savage e receivers. So my only choice would be a light barreled cz if i was set on a manners. if not then I would need to find a different stock. (I emailed manners to inquire about a lefty t4 so well see)

Do you guys run heavy or light barrels and if i don't go with the manners what other options do i have for a stock?

Re: .22 trainer ?'s

Thanks for the input. I don't think the HB will be too much for hunting and I don't actually plan on hunting a ton. I think the HB will probably help for bench work or it may not even make a difference.

I was looking at the boyds tacticool stock to use for the time being because its much cheaper than a manners and available right now. but if manners won't make a left handed savage stock then im sorta stuck with the cz since getting matching stocks is my ultimate goal. and since i like heavy barrels i would probably need to get one installed which I don't know if it would be worth it.

I find that HB on .22's is more for looks. I mainly use my .22 for calling the wind. While it's nice to have a trainer exactly like your big guns it is not needed. Unless your doing it for your form then I would suggest you look at a .223 as you will have better luck filling your wants/needs.

There are some post of people putting 10-22 barrels on a Savage but from what I recall it's some work. I found it to be too much for my tastes and if I really wanted a HB I would just buy another rifle but I'm right handed.

hb's are a good thing. though not as much barrel whip with a rimfire compared to a centerfire, there still are harmonics and dead spots which the HB helps with soothing which leads to accuracy / consistancy.

other than hunting and humping a heavy assed rifle around, a HB is the way to go at the target range, especially at 100/200 yards where rimfires become interesting.

SAVAGE MKII heavy vs. sporter barrel

though i have seen the sporter barreled F model shoot better groups with a shortened barrel. whether the shorter barrel stiffened up the rig or not or whether the harmonics were dampened with the shorter barrel, i have no clue as i'm not an engineer, but with the shorter barrel, the F sporter barreled rifle started to apporach the heavy barrel with printing on paper.

I'm sorta leaning towards the Savage BTVLSS which has the heavy barrel but I just don't know if it will be the E receiver or not.

Is there a way to find out if it will be or not, if I cannot physically go look at in a local store?