• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 Trainer

cleric

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
Dallas, tx
Hello all,

Looking for some feedback.
I got a nice light 308 with 16in barrel and a 300WM hunting rifle and am looking for something for high round count. This will be my primary rifle i shoot at the range and ideally would take some classes with.

I was thinking of just getting a 22 due to low round cost, high BC bullets, and high barrel life

224V-
Pacific Tool blueprinted action in 224 bolt face- 580
Mcgown Remage Barrel- 400
Lug- 30-40?
Tools/gauges- 300-500
No AICS mags for 224, good commercial ammo available
con- no other calibers use bolt face

223ai-
Remington Action- 300
Mcgown remage barrel- 400
Lug-30-40
Tools/gauges 300-500
Pro- Great performance, high brass availability
Con- Fire form brass, custom dies

Stock 223
400-500
Pro- Low cost, decent performance
Con- lowest performance, slow spin barrels limit bullet selection

224 Mini-Fix
2K? next year
Wait for the mini fix to get out and try to pick up a used one

Just buy a semi custom 1500-1800

All of these prices are without a stock/chassis as well. Prolly just get some basic like a Bravo or Magpul Pro

Thoughts?

You could do a bighorn origin action since you change out the bolt faces, takes savage barrels and is a 700 footprint. It’s a little bit more money upfront but it gets you into a whole other league and allows you to do a switch barrel setup if you want.

Origin-850
Keystone barrel-460
KRG bravo-350
Trigger tech primary-185

Keystone does barrel actions for 1185, so no tools needed. Just pick a trigger, stock and let the good times roll l.

Last edited:
Reactions: bgavin
Do you reload? If so look at 22 Nosler, .223 bolt face and receiver. It'll keep up with 224V, but only works for hand loaders as there's only a couple factory rounds and they're expensive.

Reactions: TACC
You could do a bighorn origin action since you change out the bolt faces, takes savage barrels and is a 700 footprint. It’s a little bit more money upfront but it gets you into a whole other league and allows you to do a switch barrel setup if you want.

Origin-850
Keystone barrel-460
KRG bravo-350
Trigger tech primary-185

Keystone does barrel actions for 1185, so no tools needed. Just pick a trigger, stock and let the good times roll l.

Thanks I will check that out
Do you reload? If so look at 22 Nosler, .223 bolt face and receiver. It'll keep up with 224V, but only works for hand loaders as there's only a couple factory rounds and they're expensive.

I do reload, but availability of quality production ammo would be nice.
He could also do a 22 creedmoor or 22BR
I thought about that but download them to save barrel life. I have heard some 22 creeds burn barrels really fast

Part of me has also thought of building a nice 24in gasser rifle, but bolts are usually better imo

Thanks I will check that out

I do reload, but availability of quality production ammo would be nice.

I thought about that but download them to save barrel life. I have heard some 22 creeds burn barrels really fast

I always forget how much the 22creed torches barrels in the pursuit of speed. I’ve heard good things 22BR’s super soft recoil, absolutely a laser and pretty cheap to load.

I would probably just get a Tikka CTR in223 and drop it in your stock of choice. You can get some pretty decent velocities out of a 223 in a bolt gun and load longer tho get some of the higher BC bullets in there. If you want to just shoot factory ammo there are plenty of reasonably prices options out there.

Reactions: drew_235
I would probably just get a Tikka CTR in223 and drop it in your stock of choice. You can get some pretty decent velocities out of a 223 in a bolt gun and load longer tho get some of the higher BC bullets in there. If you want to just shoot factory ammo there are plenty of reasonably prices options out there.

I don't know if the CTR is widely available in .223 in the states, so most opt for the Tikka t3x Varmint in .223 instead.

I love my 22 Nosler, I haven't run the heavy bullets through it yet, but the 62 grain VARMAGEDDON rounds are lights out in my upper, .5 moa all day long.