• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 WMR?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    So from some of us that shoot 22LR ELR we know that the 22LR is really limited by its ammo. Even the Lapua Center X or Midas I use can have muzzle velocities that are 50fps from shot to shot. While this isn't very evident at 100, at 270 like I was shooting the other day, sometimes you can make 4/5 hits on a 4 inch cube like I did and then the next 3 rounds all fly 6+ inches over the target. This is all from the ammo, and can easily be seen if you put a cardboard box behind the target; it looks like you are shooting a ladder test where they are all perfectly vertically strung.

So what I am questioning is, most people use the 22LR to plink or shoot for accuracy at 50 and 100. I know I am taking it out of its comfort zone at 250+ yet have a lot of success. However, being limited by the ammo, would 22 WMR be better for what I am doing?

From my little bit of research the 22 WMR has higher velocity (22LR Lapua is 1060 vs Super X is 1910), roughly the same cost as Lapua Center X/Midas as well as has an actual metal jacket.

Am I missing out, or is again, the spreads in FPS on the ammo the limiting factor?

Reactions: MikeInUtah
    You'd be better off finding a .22 ammo with better es/sd or upgrading to a .22 rifle with better bbl and ignition. I shoot ammo that's $2.50 a box with a 30 ES and a 9 SD.

But yeah, vertical is the main issue. Also, I find the strings of hits to be catching the same condition.

.22mag isn't the answer though.

Last edited:
    You'd be better off finding a .22 ammo with better es/sd or upgrading to a .22 rifle with better bbl and ignition. I shoot ammo that's $2.50 a box with a 30 ES and a 9 SD.

But yeah, vertical is the main issue. Also, I find the strings of hits to be catching the same condition.

.22mag isn't the answer though.

That's why I asked.

The ammo is by far the limiting factor here. I have a CZ455, Lilja barrell and shoot Lapua Midas and CenterX. What annoys the shit out of me is like what I posted above, 4/5 hits on a 4 inch target at 270 and then the next few rounds fly 6-8 inches over it. When I put a cardboard box behind the targets, they look like a ladder test in that its not misses from bad wind calls, its the difference in velocities.

What are you shooting thats 2.50 a box?

I've played with 22wmr at distance a bit and the transonic transition plays hell on it along with the mediocre velocity consistency.

I have much better results slinging subsonic 22LR out to 300+ yds. I thought it sounded like a genius idea until I tried it....

That being said, My current 22wmr holds moa or better to 150yds. and is my go to groundhog,rabbit,coon and coyote slayer in the small fields

That's why I asked.

The ammo is by far the limiting factor here. I have a CZ455, Lilja barrell and shoot Lapua Midas and CenterX. What annoys the shit out of me is like what I posted above, 4/5 hits on a 4 inch target at 270 and then the next few rounds fly 6-8 inches over it. When I put a cardboard box behind the targets, they look like a ladder test in that its not misses from bad wind calls, its the difference in velocities.

What are you shooting thats 2.50 a box?

Sometimes it’s the rifle that makes the ammo look inconsistent. Could be the rifle has an ignition issue which is common on a 455. Do you get vertical at 50 yards at all? How does it print at 50?

I've played with 22wmr at distance a bit and the transonic transition plays hell on it along with the mediocre velocity consistency.

I have much better results slinging subsonic 22LR out to 300+ yds. I thought it sounded like a genius idea until I tried it....

That being said, My current 22wmr holds moa or better to 150yds. and is my go to groundhog,rabbit,coon and coyote slayer in the small fields

^^^^^^^^^
    Exactly what I have found. I too have a 22 WMR that holds MOA to 150 yards. Oddly enough its a Winchester mod 61 pump. Had to shoot a bunch of them to get that accuracy level though.

^^^^^^^^^
    Exactly what I have found. I too have a 22 WMR that holds MOA to 150 yards. Oddly enough its a Winchester mod 61 pump. Had to shoot a bunch of them to get that accuracy level though.

I went through the typical rimfire dance to find the flavor mine preferred as well....I think i went through 10 or 11 different offerings before I found "the one"

The Shooting Gods start playing ping pong with my WMR around 175yds. It smokes my 22lr on my 160yd plates, but it goes downhill quick from there.

I've seen it happen while shooting east in the evening. Crazy shit to watch the ass end of the bullets appear and then get smacked sideways by a light breeze.

No contest on The Furry Unwanted inside 175, though. The 22WMR kills the shit out of small varmints.

^^^^^^ I've been thinking the same thing. Use the extra power the throw a heavier slug at subsonic velocity. It's unlikely the faster twist would have a negative effect on standard loads, too.

I'm not sure what the actual ballistic gains would be, but a 60 grain segmented hollow point would be potent varmint medicine. Of course match loads would be an option, too.

If you want to be really successful at Long Range .22LR, you need REALLY good barrels, and REALLY good ammo that said barrels like.

This may seem obvious, but it has been my experience that most guys refuse to take a FULL measure on one of those two factors--or both--and still expect an Olympic-level performance.

Reactions: ZG47A
    If you want to see something absolutely silly, try shooting those 22 mag Hornady 30vmax past 175Y. The .1BC makes things nutz in the wind and it gets frustrating!!!

My 22lr is 3 times more accurate with Lapua biathlon so I gave up on 22 mag for elr for rimfire shooting. It was a good try, lol.

What's cool is the little centerfire cartridges like Hornet or Fireball based 17's and 20's. I just got into a trade for two 5mmFBI's which are 20-221 fireball AI. A light load sends 32's at 3740 fps. BC of .210 and no challenge at 200Y but past that the wind starts to matter a lot. It was hilarious at 675Y, way past what this tiny centerfire should be shot. I was using 2.25 mils to connect on a 10" plate in normal winds vs .5 mil for my 6x47L. I'm so happy with this little cartridge!!! it's super accurate and ES is low, so no problems with vertical. These attributes had captured my attention when researching...long barrel life, only 17 grains of powder, cheap bullets, low noise, very low recoil, shoot a lot of rounds and barrel doesn't get so hot, high fps, easy self spotting.
    With 40 grainers it's similar to ballistics of 22-250/55's without the recoil and barrel heat, etc.

Reactions: davidb187