• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 Y.O. lawfully armed student defends girlfriend, but dies after shooting robber thrice

Milf Dots

Milf Hunter Extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019

‘He is my hero’: Florida student died protecting heartbroken girlfriend in robbery near Cheaha State Park​

• Updated: Aug. 16, 2022, 5:45 p.m.|
  • Published: Aug. 16, 2022, 4:25 p.m.
Adam Simjee and Mikayla Paulus

Adam Simjee, 22, and Mikayla Paulus, 20, were hiking in Cheaha State Park Sunday, Aug. 14, 2022, when they were robbed at gunpoint and Simjee was fatally shot. (Contributed)
facebook

twitter

shares
By
Mikayla Paulus and Adam Simjee decided to take a spontaneous trip to Alabama’s Cheaha State Park before returning to college in Florida this week.

Traveling was something the couple of 4 ½ years loved to do together, and a day spent in nature seemed like the perfect way to end the summer.

Instead, it ended in a horrific nightmare when Simjee was fatally shot during a robbery attempt on a National Forest Service Road. Investigators say the robbery and subsequent killing were carried by a woman was with a group of other people “living off the grid” in a camp in the national forest.

“I lost the love of my life,’’ Paulus said in an interview with AL.com. “This will be with me forever.”

Authorities late Tuesday said Yasmine Hider, age unavailable, and Krystal Pinkins, 36, are charged with murder, two counts of kidnapping and two counts of robbery.

Pinkins is being held in the Clay County Jail. Hider remains in custody at UAB Hospital in Birmingham after she was wounded in an exchange of gunfire with Simjee.

Simjee, 22, was about to begin the finance program at the University of Central Florida, and Paulus, 20, was beginning work on her master’s degree in counseling, also at UCF.

“We were starting school on Monday, so we wanted to do one last road trip,’’ Paulus said.

“I guess our moms felt something because they didn’t want us to go and told us to be safe. I told my mom we would be safe because Adam had his gun.”

The couple arrived at Cheaha State Park in Clay County, taking in the waterfalls and Boulder Rock.

Adam Simjee, 22, and Mikayla Paulus, 20, were hiking in Cheaha State Park Sunday, Aug. 14, 2022, when they were robbed at gunpoint and Simjee was fatally shot. (Contributed)

It was mid-morning when they were flagged down by two women who said they were having car trouble, and the couple stopped to help. That is the way they were raised, and what they had been taught to do.

“I called my dad (to ask for car repair advice), watched some YouTube videos and tried to fix car,’’ Paulus said. “When we realized it couldn’t be fixed, I asked if she needed anything else.”

“She (Hider) pulled a gun, said put your hands up, walk into the woods and drop your phone and keys,’’ Paulus recounted.

Simjee, she said, was a “proud supporter of the Second Amendment” and had tucked his gun in his waistband when they stopped to help the women.

“He had his gun in his waistband the whole time because he said it was suspicious and this is how people get robbed,’’ Paulus said.

“My whole body went numb, but I knew I would at least be OK,’’ she said. “I was terrified, but I knew at any point Adam was going to pull his gun out.”

“He always made sure that I knew that I was protected and taken care of,’’ she said.

Hider asked them for their banking information and cell phone passwords.

“When she (the suspect) dropped her guard for a second, and lowered her gun for a second, he pulled out his gun and told her to get on the ground,’’ Paulus said. “She started messing with her gun and it was jamming but they shot at each other.”

“She was shot three times and he was shot once. Her femur was shattered so she couldn’t get away,’’ she said.

The second female suspect - Pinkins - ran off into the woods once the gunfire erupted.

Paulus called 911 and remained on the phone with dispatchers for about 30 minutes. “I had to do chest compressions the last five minutes,’’ she said.

Simjee was unresponsive and never spoke again after he was shot.

“He went down, and he was struggling,’’ she Paulus said.

Sheriff Jim Studdard on Tuesday while they were searching for the second suspect - Pinkins - they were led to a large group of tents that had been sent up in the forest. He described it as a base camp, which was located about a half mile from the crime scene.

As authorities were approaching the base camp, they observed Pinkins standing near the tents. As officers were ordering Pinkins to the ground, a 5-year-old child ran from the woods holding a loaded shotgun.

Law enforcement officers told the child to put down the weapon however the child continued to his mother’s location before putting the gun on the ground. Pinkins is also charged with endangering the welfare of a child, and the child is now in the custody of DHR.

Paulus returned to Florida Monday to be with her family.

She said her relationship with Simjee was like a fairytale and she had been expecting an engagement ring from him any day.

“He kept it a secret,’’ she said, “but we were definitely going to get married and have kids and be together.”

This is what she posted on Facebook:

“Yesterday my world ended. I had to watch as my reason for being, my soulmate, my life partner, the future father of my child, died in the middle of a state park in Alabama. No words can begin to describe the shock and pain I’m in. We had our entire lives ahead of us.

Adam is the best person I’ve ever met on the face of this entire planet. He was the most pure soul and he died protecting me.

It comforts me to say he passed in one of his favorite places, the forest in the mountains.”

She said losing Simjee was her biggest fear.

“I always asked him what he expected me to do if he died,’’ she wrote. “His answer was to take care of our children, (at the time it was three cats) so that’s what I’ll do.”

Paulus said Simjee was creative, smart and selfless. “He would do anything for anybody,’’ she said.

He died protecting her, as he always said he would do.

“If he didn’t have his gun, I don’t know if I would have made it,’’ she said. “So, he really is my hero and that’s exactly something he would do.”

She said the pain is something she’s never experienced nor expected.

“There’s no way this is my real life right now. It’s absolutely horrible,’’ Paulus said. “I can’t imagine it being much worse.”

Asked about the two women who committed the crime, Paulus said, “They were starving and desperate and that’s what people do when they’re desperate.”

Paulus said she feels like she will forever be change.

“I definitely learned that you can’t help anybody anymore. You never know what people’s true intentions are,’’ she said. “You can’t help people anymore without worrying about your safety.”

A GoFundMe has been launched to help Simjee’s family. Donations can be made here.

“Adam, such an intelligent, hard-working, humble, loving human being,’’ the GoFundMe reads. “Adam died protecting Mikayla and will forever be remembered as a hero.”

Just in case anyone else was wondering what these "off the grid" folks look like.

They weren't "off the grid", they were homeless. Just opportunism here. A good opportunity to scare the sheep. Beware those "off the grid" people, they are teaching their kindergarteners to kill you with shotguns.

I challenge anyone to find an article anywhere written after Bill Clinton pretended to be the president that isn't a thinly veiled attack on some group of people who are opposed to the political ideals of the source. If they printed this and said "useless homeless drug addicts murdered an innocent man", it might make it more difficult to be a useless homeless drug addict, but those "off the grid folks".....bring on the heat.... hell, they probably aren't even vaccinated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220816-234218_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220816-234218_Chrome.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 1,733
  • Screenshot_20220816-233707_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220816-233707_Chrome.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 588
The chick that wrote this article is the source of a change.org page where people are pressuring her to resign for her repeated lack of journalistic integrity.

I realize that I've gone off on a tangent here, but I have a real issue with her associating these murdering homeless trash with people who live off the grid. Typical liberal trash.

1660712165807.png

There are a few lessons here. Read again the part where he was talking instead of shooting. At that point there should have been no discussion of getting on the ground or waiting for her when she was messing with her weapon. Tragic.

There are a few lessons here. Read again the part where he was talking instead of shooting. At that point there should have been no discussion of getting on the ground or waiting for her when she was messing with her weapon. Tragic.
That was his mistake. Instead of ordering them to drop the gun, he should have shot them as soon as he had the drop on em and he'd be alive today. I'm sure he didn't want to kill a couple of women but that cost him his life. The way this story is written has many here very angry. "Off the grid" my ass

My guess is even though he was completely justified in the use of deadly force he hesitated and tried to end it peacefully to avoid having his and his girlfriends lives destroyed by a woke prosecutor looking to make an example of him as well as the media going after him like they did Rittenhouse.

Judging by her broken femur my guess is he tried to incapacitate her rather than kill her but unfortunately for him the one shot she got off was fatal. How long till people start claiming “well if he hadn’t pulled out his gun and just let her rob them she wouldn’t have shot him”?

My guess is even though he was completely justified in the use of deadly force he hesitated and tried to end it peacefully to avoid having his and his girlfriends lives destroyed by a woke prosecutor looking to make an example of him as well as the media going after him like they did Rittenhouse.

Judging by her broken femur my guess is he tried to incapacitate her rather than kill her but unfortunately for him the one shot she got off was fatal. How long till people start claiming “well if he hadn’t pulled out his gun and just let her rob them she wouldn’t have shot him”?
Honestly, that crap isn't a concern down here. If someone tries to rob you at gun point, it is expected for them to be shot down here. (City of bham is a different story all together but everywhere else he'd have been fine and would never be charged). Still, good people don't want to kill others, and especially ad a man, you don't want to shoot a couple women. Lesson learned.

My guess is even though he was completely justified in the use of deadly force he hesitated and tried to end it peacefully to avoid having his and his girlfriends lives destroyed by a woke prosecutor looking to make an example of him as well as the media going after him like they did Rittenhouse
I'd rather be alive to deal with a prosecutor later than dead out of fear of what might happen. The prosecutor can be prosecuted too.

people start claiming “well if he hadn’t pulled out his gun and just let her rob them she wouldn’t have shot him”?
Do you pay attention to what idiots say? I don't.

The whole woman broke down by the road needing help.
Classic bait trap for some young male that doesn't know any better.

I guess they found out the hard way that people aren't good by nature and those "not living by societies rules" often aren't the glamours things people promote.

Proper justice would be to do what the guys in SA just did, round up the volunteers and take out that whole camp, just to be safe.

I guess they found out the hard way that people aren't good by nature and those "not living by societies rules" often aren't the glamours things people promote.

Proper justice would be to do what the guys in SA just did, round up the volunteers and take out that whole camp, just to be safe.
It's a fairly well known stunt pulled on people as they go through Tuskegee national Forrest too. When I was at Auburn, I remember the chick that cut my hair being one of the people they robbed down there just like that.

She and her husband or boyfriend stopped to help a broken down female and as soon as they were out of the car a couple dudes came out of the woods and held them up. Dude shot the car motor and when he went to get her purse out of the car, they bolted into the woods. The robbers were telling them to go lay down face down in the woods so, they likely would have been murdered had they not run. This was back in 2004 or so

It's a fairly well known stunt pulled on people as they go through Tuskegee national Forrest too. When I was at Auburn, I remember the chick that cut my hair being one of the people they robbed down there just like that.

She and her husband or boyfriend stopped to help a broken down female and as soon as they were out of the car a couple dudes came out of the woods and held them up. Dude shot the car motor and when he went to get her purse out of the car, they bolted into the woods. The robbers were telling them to go lay down face down in the woods so, they likely would have been murdered had they not run. This was back in 2004 or so

Folks don't think deliverance is a documentary, but it is...

So fucked up, can't even enjoy a state park anymore

I have hiked that park many times, usually only had a knife on me

I didn't realize that you could carry in AL state parks

8. Prohibited Devices (220-5-.08) (1) It shall be unlawful for any person other than a duly authorized law enforcement officer to possess or carry into any State Park any form of firearm without written permission of the manager in charge of the State Park visited; provided, however, nothing in this regulation prohibits the possession of handguns by lawfully licensed persons for personal protection, provided, the handguns are not used for any unlawful purpose. No person shall possess, discharge, or set off on or within a State park any firecrackers, torpedoes, rockets, cap pistols, or other fireworks.

it does look like the homeless camp needs to be removed

(3) It shall be unlawful to erect or occupy any site with unsightly or inappropriate camping equipment.
(4) Pitching tents or parking trailers or other camping equipment in areas not designated for such purposes shall be unlawful.

Carry everywhere.

There are plenty of predators in the woods to justify it. 2 legged and 4.

Can't ever be too prepared.

Yes, I agree, I have been a bit sporadic with carrying, but changing that

Carry everywhere.

There are plenty of predators in the woods to justify it. 2 legged and 4.

Can't ever be too prepared.

Carry is part of it, but as has been shown, the good folks having a natural hesitation to want to kill someone and trying to do other things first can get you killed.

Lots of folks aren't mentally prepared to have to just pull and start shooting instantly.

This is just super sad. Carry everywhere and if there is reason for the gun to come out, there is reason enough to start slappin the bang switch. Also sad that you can’t stop to help people but that was his first mistake. If some babe is broke down I’d probably pull over and offer to help but if I saw these two hippos I’d just cruise on by and call the cops to come help em. Maybe they’d catch on.

I'd rather be alive to deal with a prosecutor later than dead out of fear of what might happen. The prosecutor can be prosecuted too.

Do you pay attention to what idiots say? I don't.

This maybe be true but clearly he had the forethought to wait for an opening to draw but then had reservations about pulling the trigger until the last possible second which unfortunately cost him his life.

As for paying attention to idiots, I don’t but I’m sure there are plenty that do and this will be used by the talking heads as an example for people to not carry as it still gets you killed.

that's the problem, you just never know. there have certainly been instances where the bad guys got what they wanted and still killed the victims, whether to remove a witness or just pure evil.

It happened near our rural friends house in a county that has little crime and normally 0 homicides a year. Guy on the way to work in the dark morning stops to pick up a duffel bag in the middle of the road thinking a coworker lost it on the way to work. Couple druggies jump out to rob him and after they get all his money and his truck they shoot him and leave him dead in the road hoping for a second victim. Luckily for the second guy he called the cops instead of stopping and they were caught.

if there is reason for the gun to come out, there is reason enough to start slappin the bang switch

As a regular citizen, who has no duty to detain or arrest people, that is 100% true.

All the bullshit of drawing to ready and not training to shoot immediately after the draw that some idiots preach is OK for cops but irrelevant to us.

If I have a reason to draw, I have a reason to shoot, and it's gonna happen quick.

As for paying attention to idiots, I don’t but I’m sure there are plenty that do and this will be used by the talking heads as an example for people to not carry as it still gets you killed.

Who really cares? I mean seriously, who still gives a shit about what the press and antis want?

What was this SA story you refer to?

Sounds like a good read.

Reactions: D_TROS
No they can't. Prosecutors are absolutely immune. Which is why anyone who isn't a moron would be very careful to never get himself in a situation like that if it can be avoided.

That said, there's no real serious doubt about his shooting the lady if the facts are as the media has reported.

I'm not trying to sound like "that guy", but it would have been a cold day in hades before I would have stopped to help those two fine specimens on the side of the road in a VERY rural place. There'd be hair blowing in the wind as I passed. Poor guy tried to do the right thing and even apparently showed (misplaced) mercy even after he drew. Such a sad story.