• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

220 gr SMK's vs 210 gr SMK's

ranger1183

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2006
Whitefish, MT, USA
I've used both the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">basic</span></span> and <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">advanced</span></span> Sniper's Hide search engine <span style="font-weight: bold">plus</span> the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Sniper's Hide Google search engine</span></span> and the Google search engine itself and have come up empty. A little help?

I remember reading somewhere that the Army is converting the M24 from .308 to .300 Win Mag. In that article / posting it also discussed why the Army chose the 220 grain SMK's over the 210 grain SMK's because of "beyond 1000 yards" ballistics. Or was that a seperate article? Crap, I don't remember.

Either way, does anyone have a link to that article?

Re: 220 gr SMK's vs 210 gr SMK's

I don't have the article. But the choice was made because the 220 is more forgiving and will shoot better in a wider cross section of rifles. The 210 is closer to a VLD design, and might be a little more finicky.

Most of the testing was done for or by crane and the navy.

I dont know if this is the article you were looking for:

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2009infantrysmallarms/tuesdaysessioniii8524.pdf

Bingo! That's it! Thanks!
grin.gif

Good article and interesting subject, making me rethink my choice for a 'mid range' rifle project...

Most likely they found the sweet spot accuracy wise of the two bullets, and then directly compared the two. As stated in the article, the 220 was less sensitive than the 210.

With the higher velocity, the 220 achieves the 1500 yard max range, and shoots more accurately in the rifles in service.

VLD style bullets usually have a higher BC, but have a narrower sweet spot for accuracy.

If only one could actually obtain 220 smk's in today's market
frown.gif

I'm wondering if the 220's are more stable transonic than the 210's... similar to the 175's vs. the 168's?