• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

220 Swift feeding issue

Icallem

Football Ref
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2011
N. Central MO
Yesterday evening a neighbor brought over his newly built 220 Swift. It is a Stiller action in a H-S Stock with H-S DBM. I had some loaded ammo so he loaded the mag and went to feed it through and it would not go. Always catching on the base of the cart. with the one below it. Thinking it was the H-S DBM, I got my wife's Swift out, a Defiance with an AI mag, and as it turns out, it would not feed either. She has ~1200 rounds down it, but has never had anything in the mag. If you ran them like you were mad, they both would work, however he was not very happy with that. I don't care as I don't see her loading the mag anyway.

That said, is this common / is there something he can do to fix this? I told him shoot it as a single shot but he didn't care for that. So I told him to shoot it like he was mad (which he was).

Thanks for any ideas.

You'll probably find it's the semi rimmed design of the Swift case causing the problem, I can't really help you with your problem though, my Swift was a factory Sako

You'll probably find it's the semi rimmed design of the Swift case causing the problem, I can't really help you with your problem though, my Swift was a factory Sako

That is what it looked like to us and I'm ok with it, but this is his first 'built' rifle and he thinks it should be perfect. He has not shot it yet so I told him when it shoots tiny little holes he will forget about the feeding issue.

I've shot 220 Swifts my whole life and my dad has for another 15 years before that. We have got to where this is how we load all our guns just from muscle memory. This is per the Remington manual.

I would pay close attention to what Robert said above about the rear of the follower. Had the same problem with one, about 3 Swifts back (unfortunately it was not one of Roberts' builds, it was from another builder that did not prep the follower for that cartridge)

I have a 700 in 220 Swift with an HS DBM it functions great, I've never had any feeding issues. Before I ordered my DBM from HS Precision my gunsmith had told me, to make sure they knew it was going to be for a Swift. I've had it built for about 10 years with no problems.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I am sure I will talk with him over the weekend and will find out if it is fixed.