• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.220 Swift

esorensen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Broomfield, CO
I picked up an old Ruger from sscoyote. I've never loaded for it. I have on hand 55 VMAX's and Varget. Any pet loads with Varget out there? I have an inkling that best accuracy will be like most Hodgdon stuff, toward the higher end.

I also am entertaining the idea of some RL17 too. If the RL17 acts anything like it has for the .308 and 208's, there is a chance that the 55's may move along as quickly as some of the lighter fare. Unfortunately, no info exists, except for the .223 WSSM which is trying to emulate the swift, so, I'd be somewhat in the dark.

Any Ideas? Thanks in advance, Eric.

Re: .220 Swift

I have a Ruger No.1 in .220Swift. I bought some Varget when it first came out after reading a Rick Jamison article in Shooting Times about Varget and the .220. I didn’t have his success with it. My old load was 42gr H380, 55gr Nosler BT and a Fed 210M. It shot great and was a mover. It gave a new meaning to “Ground Hog” turning them in to burger instantly. Then accuracy went away. I used an Outers Foulout (before all the new copper solvents) and pull a ton of copper from the barrel and it was back. Then the moly craze hit and I tried some moly coated 55gr Sierra Blitz Kings. When I was searching for a new load my Dad hit a store going out of business sale and got ten pounds of H414 cheap. With a mid level load of H414, I shot the smallest groups of my life. It’s not the burner loads like the H380 but it is right up there. Best of all the fouling is not an issue. With the No.1 I load it very long. I’ll look tonight for the load data. Sadly my groundhog fields are now subdivisions.

Walt

I don't use varget for mine, but FWIW, I use 37gr IMR 4895 pushing 50gr varmint grenades and nosler ballistic tips. CCI LR primers and winchester brass. Sub-MOA at 100 yards with the ballistic tips and I never really tried targets with the grenades, but they make short, bloody, messy, beautiful work of gophers and prarie dogs. Hope this helps.

I will do a load work up with Varget and RL17 powders. I may also use IMR 8208 XBR as well. I have plenty of these powders, and they are listed for the .233 WSSM. Some careful extrapolation and I'll be in business. Thanks, Eric

IMR 4064 is my go-to powder for my .220 Swifts.

IIRC, Hodgdon H-380 was named after a particular load Bruce Hodgdon liked...38 grains under a 55 grain bullet in a .22-250 (although referred to as the .22 Wildcat).

I spoke with an ATK rep today and got a starting point for the RL17. I'll post results and pics when I get the chance to hit the range.

For 55 VMax in the 223 WSSM, RL-15, RL-17, and W760 work best. In a 223 WSSM with a 27" Kreiger barrel, I could shoot 55s at 4050 MV, but 3935 MV was most accurate. But be careful in comparing, the 223 WSSM has more powder capacity and has a SAAMI spec of 65,000 PSI max. Also that short fat case simply burns powder differently.
BTW, the 223 WSSM isn't emulating the Swift - it is the fastest production 22 caliber - period.

Quick update. I'm not used to working with a "factory" rifle. I also need to pay better attention to my inventory. I had to use some 55 gr. FMJ's I had laying around. Varget has a book max of 36 gr, which is where I found the best accuracy. Velocity was only about 3450 or so, with a barely sub MOA group. I'll post some pics later. NO pressure signs whatsoever at 36 gr either. Probably not the best powder for the combination, but it's what I got.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick update. I'm not used to working with a "factory" rifle. I also need to pay better attention to my inventory. I had to use some 55 gr. FMJ's I had laying around. Varget has a book max of 36 gr, which is where I found the best accuracy. Velocity was only about 3450 or so, with a barely sub MOA group. I'll post some pics later. NO pressure signs whatsoever at 36 gr either. Probably not the best powder for the combination, but it's what I got. </div></div>

If it is a standard Ruger .220 Swift, I assume that it is going to have a 1 in 14" twist rate, and you should see your groups shrink dramatically (all things considered) going with a 40-52 grain bullet. I know both of the Swifts that I have that are 1 in 14" are absolutely amazing at 100 yards with 40 and 50 grain V-Maxs and 52 grain Bergers.

It is against my heavier bullets are better beliefs, but I am thinking that some of those itty-bitty bullets are in it's future. By the way, the 68 Hornady BTHP was barely unstable. The 69 Sierra was just a bit more unstable, and the 65 JLK low drag was sideways at 100. I had to try and see. I bet some of the 60- 65 gr. bullets of other manufacture would do fine. I'm even thinking on a hot summer day here, the 68 Hornady would do fine. I think the DA's here the day I shot, were around 4700'. They go up to around 10K' in the summer.

I also think that bulk 55 FMJ bullets are NOT match bullets, and I cannot assume that they will ever print as well as properly made 55's such as VMAX or BLITZKING. I will also go up in powder charge another grain. This rifle had ZERO pressure signs at the book max of 36.

I have been using the 40gr V-max and they shoot tight sub 1/2" at 4250 fps! And the critters come apart like you would not believe. Mine is a Ruger 77 MKII VT.

I went and shot the swift and the 40's today. Respectable is an understatement. It's always nice to go to the range and shoot less ammo than you brought, because it's shooting so well, and any more lead downrange would just be a waste. I have found that Varget almost always shoots best toward the upper end of published max loads. This case is no different. Either with the 55's, or the 40's. I cheated and just loaded up 40.0 gr Varget and 210M's topped off with a 40 VMAX. It took 3 rounds to zero at 100, then I shot steel at 300 and 425. Sub MOA. Sorry no range pics, but the chrono strip is worth noting. The "Handloader" mag in the background has the same 40 & 40 load in it, and the author was getting a bit more speed, and his 100 yard groups measured .53". Eric.
100_6135.jpg