• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 1000yrd load using 77grn Noslers???

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Ok...yeah I hear you laughing. But I was planning on shooting in a 1K match on Sat. The only problem is I sold my DTA SRS and now only have one rifle right now that COULD maybe make it to a grand....that being a 1:7 twist, 26" barreled .223.

I have some 77grn Nosler BTHP bullets and lots of RL-15,TAC,etc. I am thinking if I can get to max or a bit over on my powder charge...and if the wind is not to bad....that I might be able to drive em out to 1000yrds...now the parking could become a issue...but if nothing else...it should be "fun".

Just not sure my scope has enough elevation travel in it. Scope is a NF Bench Rest 12-42X. It only has a total of 40 MOA and I am using a 20 MOA base...going to be close.

Let me know what you think or if anyone has shot a .223 out to 1K before.

Take care,Stan

PS...and your welcome for the good laugh!

Re: .223 1000yrd load using 77grn Noslers???

On the "Best of the West" website they have a long article about using .223 for 1,000 yards. I think the author used 70 grain Berger VLDs and was able to hit the target pretty easy but then he said the guys with him were shooting handloaded 75 grain Hornady BTHP-Match and could hit twice as accurate as him. It would probably be like a .22 LR in power by then...

It doesn't take much effort to punch a hole in paper...certainly not the most ideal cartridge to be shooting at 1k, but its do-able.

I am planning on picking up about 250 of the little 77gr Noslers to give it a go, but my 20" HBAR only has a 1:9. The M4 and A2 are running 1:7 but are ill suited to precision at long range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok...yeah I hear you laughing. But I was planning on shooting in a 1K match on Sat. The only problem is I sold my DTA SRS and now only have one rifle right now that COULD maybe make it to a grand....that being a 1:7 twist, 26" barreled .223.

I have some 77grn Nosler BTHP bullets and lots of RL-15,TAC,etc. I am thinking if I can get to max or a bit over on my powder charge...and if the wind is not to bad....that I might be able to drive em out to 1000yrds...now the parking could become a issue...but if nothing else...it should be "fun".

Just not sure my scope has enough elevation travel in it. Scope is a NF Bench Rest 12-42X. It only has a total of 40 MOA and I am using a 20 MOA base...going to be close.

Let me know what you think or if anyone has shot a .223 out to 1K before.

Take care,Stan

PS...and your welcome for the good laugh! </div></div>

I've shot plenty of .223 to 1000 yards in F-class; they work fine if you know how to do it.

First off the 77gr SMK, Nosler and the 75 Hornady HPBT will not get there supersonically. If you can find 75 or 80 A-Max, 80gr SMK and 75 or 80gr Bergers, you can do it in your 26 inch tube with no problems.

I use 80gr JLKs myself and about 24-25 MOA of elevation from my 300 yard zero depending on the weather; colder, more MOAs, warmer, less MOA.

It would be good to measure the length of your leade but since the match is Saturday, you may not have the time. You best bet would be a 75 Hornady A-Max on top of a maximum load of TAC or RL-15 for that weight bullet; seat the bullet at 2.400 or above; don't push the ogive below the case mouth. You can sometimes find the A-max in local gunstores.

Good luck.

You sold your SRS?!

As far as the 77 nosler CC, I haven't got them to stay supersonic to 1k. I've used the 75 Amax in my 12fv with 25gr of Varget and its been supersonic to 1k out here at 4k ft ASL. I seat it to 2.490. Good luck.

Yep...sold it to another Hide member...going in other directions. I have tried to find some 75gr Amax's here locally....no go...so I guess I will be skipping the 1K shoot.

On a plus note...my new McGowen 1:7 twist .243 barrel should be here in a couple of weeks for my new long range project.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GCMxVeGeTa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the "Best of the West" website they have a long article about using .223 for 1,000 yards. </div></div>

Do you have a link?

What kind of velocities are you guys getting to make the 75 & 80 AMAX make it?

I never tried the 80gr A-Max. I drive my 80gr JLKs at 2850 and have them solidly supersonic at 1000k. When I drove the 75gr A-Max, I was at 2950 and when the temperature got below 40 here in the Houston area, they would go subsonic right before 1000 yards; in the summertime, they were ok, not great but ok.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is an article somewhere on 6mmbr where a guy is shooting a 90 gr VLD I believe to 1 mile with documentation. I'll try to find it.

found it

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/shooting-223-mile-1.php </div></div>

Don't know how I missed that article. Thank you sir.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of velocities are you guys getting to make the 75 & 80 AMAX make it?</div></div>

My current 1000 yard Service Rifle load is 24.5 grains of RE-15 under a 80 grain Berger, stuffed in massaged Winchester brass primed with WSR's. At 100 yard practice, typically, I'm getting 20 round groups where about 75 percent of my rounds are less than 3/4 minute with most of the balance scratching the 10 ring or better, shooting on the MR-31. The wild 8's and 9's, are usually on-call, and suggest a less than perfectly consistent position and/or hold.

Chronographing reveals that my load is good for SD's under 8 and ES under 20 fps. My average muzzle velocity is about 2740 fps, which is good-to-go for 1000.

Initially, I seated my bullets about .010 in; but now, I'm seating 'em about .010 off. The result is the very low SD and ES.

For 1000 yards, I need a bullet path about 35 inches high above line of sight at 100 yards. From my 100 yard zero, adjusting sights about 65 1/4 minute clicks on rear, and 4 revs on the front post will get me on paper at 1000 in a no wind condition.

My last match I shot a 185 and something, which was pretty bad considering the ideal wind, prevailing at about 4 mph full value.

Analyzing the match, it appears, my aperture was just a little bit too small for me to understand consistently the relationship between my front sight and target, perhaps due to low light conditions.

At any rate, shooting the .223 Service Rifle at 1000 yards is, for me, about the most fun possible with a gun. It's so much more demanding of perfection than HP competition in other divisions, or at lesser distance, demanding no less than perfect perspective of aim and position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GCMxVeGeTa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the "Best of the West" website they have a long article about using .223 for 1,000 yards. </div></div>

Do you have a link? </div></div>

I can't seem to find the BOTW .223 at 1,000 yards now...LOL, it was the link above to the long range hunting "Shooting A 223 To A Mile Accurately".

Not to hijack the thread, but is anyone shooting the 90gr bergers? If so, what powder are you using?

I had a super long-throated gun recently built just for the 90grs. Barrel is a 31" Bartlein. COAL is at 2.640". I was running N550 for my slightly shorter throated gun using the 80gr bergers at 2.50". Was very, very fast (too fast in fact
wink.gif
). Tried N550 in the new gun, and the powder seemed a little slow. All the manuals are way to slow, IMO. I know for a fact that Varget is too slow. I was thinking about N560 or maybe RE22. Thoughts?