• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223/223AI Tikka, not feeding single rounds.

beetroot

Old Salt
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
I've got a 223 Tikka that I am wanting to rebarrel to either 223 or 223AI.

I like the Tikka, the only issue I have is I can't load single rounds and have them feed (they hit the breech face), using AICS, CTR and T3 mags.
I did manage to 3d print a new follower than allowed single loading years ago but it reduced magazine capacity.

I'm guessing this is a common issue with 223 in a short/medium action.

Are there any actions that will do this reliable (controlled round feed?) or is there anything that can be done to improve feeding? Such as a feed ramp or chamfer when I get the new barrel fitted?

Common with the Tikka. I just made a single load "follower" for my .223 with factory mags. A piece of Kydex, lighter, gloves and a dummy round to form it. It slides in, stays in place and no removal of the factory follower. In absence of that, try popping a round on a stripper clip, start in the chamber and pull off the clip. This was sometimes used by High Power shooters on the single load at 600 with the AR's. If it works, you can have 5 or so on the clip and slide the next up down with your fingers, pretty easy task. If worried about the steel clip, the plastic ones on certain training rounds are good. I used to get mine when the Canadians were down for the winter in NC.

Reactions: Charlie112
I have other bolt action rifles that won't single feed if I just drop the cartridge on top of the follower. I just figured that the design is counting on the cartridge coming from the magazine and has an upward path started.

I have other bolt action rifles that won't single feed if I just drop the cartridge on top of the follower. I just figured that the design is counting on the cartridge coming from the magazine and has an upward path started.
Yeah seems like a common issue for 223, without some sort of fed ramp/barrel chamfer.

You will likely need something like this to single feed, especially 223/AI: https://www.mkmachining.com/product/aics-sa-single-shot-sled/

Mountain Tactical also makes this one for the T3 mags: https://www.mountaintactical.com/shop/tikka-t3t3x-single-shot-follower
I use the rifle for competition (PRS style) so hoping to find a solution that’ll allow me to drop a round in the chamber on top of a empty mag.

I may have a play around and see if I could 3d print a follower that’l maintain the full capacity but lift the cartridge a little higher.

I use the rifle for competition (PRS style) so hoping to find a solution that’ll allow me to drop a round in the chamber on top of a empty mag.

I may have a play around and see if I could 3d print a follower that’l maintain the full capacity but lift the cartridge a little higher.

Gotcha. I have the same issue with my Tikka .223. You can get them to go by starting them in the chamber, but it’s definitely not fast or efficient on a stage.

I also started modifying extensions to work with .223 mags which give me 12+ round capacity, so not an overly concerning issue outside of actual mag failure.

My Prometheus .223AI has not exhibited the same issues with single feeding, key difference being adjustable height mag latch on that chassis. Might be worth looking into depending on your current setup.

Reactions: MarinePMI
My Howa mini in AI single feeds with about 90% reliability. I wish I would have put a heavier chamfer on it when I chambered it.

Reactions: beetroot
I wouldn't have thought pushing the rounds down was a good idea, being single feed.

Can't help with 204 sorry, unless I found some 204 brass to play with.
Yeah, today I called Beretta again and had an uninspiring convo.

The lady I spoke to…I couldn’t figure out if she was just following my lead and parroting my questions back at me (only with answers that she thought I wanted) or if she initially didn’t know the answers and figured it out as we talked.

ANYWAY, she said you can load it by pressing straight down like an AR mag and said that yes, about at round seven the 204 will start sticking up. She said to try to bend the lips but had no idea how to accomplish this with those stiff plastic inner lips in there as well.

I’ve asked far and wide at this point, and if the answers don’t come in the next couple days I might try to open her up and bend the spring.

I’m just not sure how to approach this thing.

2AB050E1-4FEE-42BD-A3F6-705016737848.jpeg
C803275E-2FEF-4D9C-AE2D-B4B9EA7B7D0D.jpeg
857FD55A-8DF4-4816-AFA2-9D7CFF4279C2.jpeg

At round 6

04E65CC5-B30B-411E-ADA9-8BEB760AD3A6.jpeg

At round 8

8A14B8E2-79AF-4810-81C7-17AA444B1B44.jpeg

At round 10

I'd say the front of the feed lips are bent out due to pressing straight down, the plastic is pretty thin so I'm guessing tweaking the steel lips would fix it.

I'm pretty sure I had to tweak one of mags, could've been a 308 one though.

I'd say the front of the feed lips are bent out due to pressing straight down, the plastic is pretty thin so I'm guessing tweaking the steel lips would fix it.
Yeah, that isn’t it. Not only is the plastic up there in a thick and stiff triangle shape, the mag loaded 204 funny even before I ever tried the straight-down technique. It is a new mag, btw.

Even after loading it straight down maybe 30 times, the 223 rounds load perfectly and flat at 10rds while the 204 still do the same thing as noted above.

I’m starting to feel that 204 is just meant to load to 7, or maybe 8 or 9 with a spring bend. Once I get a stock cut for CTR I’ll experiment with bending the spring.

And I’m going to call Beretta again about the straight down loading. Maybe the lady I talked to is smoking crack.

If this helps for single loading. Five on the clip, sliding the next one down, etc. Once in the chamber, pull the clip straight out.

• Haha
Reactions: spife7980
I've got the "Bob Sled" AICS 223 single shot magazine for my Tikka 223 (in a MDT chassis). It will single load just fine if I move the bolt forward slowly.