• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223/5.56 brass and FL sizing

Bigzams

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2010
San Marcos Texas
I had a bag of range brass that was given to me that had a mix of .223 and 5.56 brass various makes. I processed the brass and used a .223 Redding FL die to deprime and full size so my question is is that 5.56 brass now safe to shoot out of my Rem 700 SPS? I loaded it with 24 to 25 grains of Varget. I was told never to shoot 5.56 ammo out of my SPS but since it has been processed and loaded to .223 specs will it work?
Thank you for you time.
-Rene

It's fine. You've put the components in it so hopefully you've loaded to the .223 specs.

As always, start low and slowly work your way up, watching for pressure signs.

Mil brass is thicker and can take sometimes less grains. Within reason basically load them up the same.

Mil 556 brass is not always thicker. 308 and 30-06 typically is, but often 556 has a higher case capacity.
That being said, as juma put it, a reasonable load will be safe, if you are unsure separate by headstamp, start low and workup.

Do you have a way to remove the primer crimp?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Chamfer tool works well to remove the crimp.

Brass varies from maker to maker and even lot to lot. Mil brass is not always thicker, but can be.

If you know the leade of your 223 marked chamber, you can safely fire 5.56 marked ammo once you verify the (ammo's) measurement against the rifles leade measurement.