• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223/5.56 hunting bullets

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
So I recently shot a pig with my AR. Been told my whole life 223 is to small for deer. Well I was super impressed with the performance of the Hornady 75gr interlock. Medium sized sow dropped in her tracks and tons of blood. Problem is the 75gr interlock is only available as loaded ammo. I want to load my own.
I want the heavier bullet and I want a bullet that is going to expand but not blow up like a varmint bullet.
I found a few....
Speer makes a 75gr gold dot. Looks similar to the interlock
Swift makes the Scirocco in a 62 and 75gr
Nosler makes the Partition in 60gr and the AccuBond in 70gr.
None are available right now anyway....

Does anybody know a way to get the Hornady Interlocks? Has anybody shot these other bullets?
My gun is 1/7 twist and shot the 75gr interlocks and 77gr sierra matchkings very well. I'd like to stay heavy for the accuracy and penetration.
Thanks

Gamekings are tried and true, wish they were slightly heavier, or maybe they will turn the heavier tipped matchkings into gamechangers.
I've heard that the copper bullets are pretty good. I might give them a try. $37 for a box of 50 seems a little expensive, but they are hunting bullets, I'd be very lucky if i got to shoot a whole box in a year.
Thanks. Keep em coming.

Nosler 77 grain Custom Competition. the most underrated, if there is such a thing...hunting bullet on the market. Totally devastating

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
I shot a pig with a custom comp and I’ll never do it again. Don’t shoot critters with match bullets. They aren’t devastating at all and they sure as shit aren’t a hunting bullet.

77 CC is not a normal match bullet. Just because it says match on the box, doesn't mean it doesn't have great pentration, expansion and some fragmentation. 77 CC is top tier. Now if you used lighter CC, that is different, totally. The jackets on the 77CC are thinner. Not to be confused by 77SMK which is not good for hunting

I shot a pig with a custom comp and I’ll never do it again. Don’t shoot critters with match bullets. They aren’t devastating at all and they sure as shit aren’t a hunting bullet.
Last pig I poked with a 77smk didn’t appreciate it.
E2FF6F98-66DC-4E4D-B1C6-1BA67B70663F.jpeg

LOL good one, I have tried so many rounds. I find 77 CC to be among best. 75 Hornady OK too, and anything barnes, including 50 grain TSX, or Hornady GMX

not very surprising bullets can kill it seems that with most of them you just need good shot placement to do the job though I am also pretty sure you would not want to try to attack a grizzly with a 22lr by choice , god bless you if you do . send pics lol

Reactions: Gwak2006
you serious?

mr moose is glad you set us straight.

10A98FFA-0955-41F6-9B1F-314F966EB490.jpeg

Reactions: 260284
So I recently shot a pig with my AR. Been told my whole life 223 is to small for deer. Well I was super impressed with the performance of the Hornady 75gr interlock. Medium sized sow dropped in her tracks and tons of blood. Problem is the 75gr interlock is only available as loaded ammo. I want to load my own.
I want the heavier bullet and I want a bullet that is going to expand but not blow up like a varmint bullet.
I found a few....
Speer makes a 75gr gold dot. Looks similar to the interlock
Swift makes the Scirocco in a 62 and 75gr
Nosler makes the Partition in 60gr and the AccuBond in 70gr.
None are available right now anyway....

Does anybody know a way to get the Hornady Interlocks? Has anybody shot these other bullets?
My gun is 1/7 twist and shot the 75gr interlocks and 77gr sierra matchkings very well. I'd like to stay heavy for the accuracy and penetration.
Thanks

70 Gr Barnes TSX
Echo
Don’t shoot critters with match bullets. They aren’t devastating at all and they sure as shit aren’t a hunting bullet.

Curious about the 75gr Gold Dot as a hunting bullet.
I have a good load worked up with them using 8208.
Accuracy is stellar.
Haven't tried them on critters yet though.
Any experience out there?

Reactions: Alaska
Curious about the 75gr Gold Dot as a hunting bullet.
I have a good load worked up with them using 8208.
Accuracy is stellar.
Haven't tried them on critters yet though.
Any experience out there?

BC is way lower then stated on the box.

for 2.26" restraints it's 77gr tmk easily.
somewhere around 23.5gr of 8208 should be golden.

Reactions: savagemann
BC is way lower then stated on the box.

for 2.26" restraints it's 77gr tmk easily.
somewhere around 23.5gr of 8208 should be golden.
Right on.
My usual 75-77gr 8208 loads have been 23.4gr for several years running now.
Pretty much plug and play for any bullet in that weight class, but I still do a small workup when trying new bullets.

Reactions: DIBBS
The 55 grain TSX at high velocity is a great hunting bullet for thicker skinned game. Speer Gold Dot bullets are as well.

Last edited:
Speer Gold Dots are pretty badass if you can find any.
I stacked the 75gr gold dots pretty deep right at the beginning of covid. I figured they would disappear, so I added another 2k to my existing stash.
Also beefed up my stash of 124gr 9mm GD. Recently been on the hunt for 140gr GD for my 6.5cm.