• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 / 5.56 - Progressive 5 Stage Setup

mluning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2007
Houston Texas USA
I would like to know from you guys that are running your progressives to reload for .223 / 5.56, what dies do you prefer using, methods, pointers, etc.

I am interested in getting a 5 stage set up and I'm unsure on what dies work best.

As all my experience has come from a Rock Chucker Supreme press and RCBS Competition dies.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Re: .223 / 5.56 - Progressive 5 Stage Setup

Cobra,

I assume you are referring to the 650?

Dies are not included with the press, so do you use Dillon dies?

I use a RCBS Pro 2000 with RCBS dies and use a X die for sizing. Lee factory crimp die for final station. 25.0 grains TAC and 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip.

I have an RCBS 2 die set in a Hornady LnL and run it as a 4 stage on the 5 port press.

I leave the #5 port open as a quick QC check before the press ejects the case, that way if I do something stupid like don't prime or forget to stick a bullet on top it doesn't drop a powder filled case off into the bin.

For crimped ammo (like pistols) I run the crimp die in stage 5

I run a Dillon 650 and use Hornady dies for 223. The Hornady dies have a tear-drop shaped expander ball that helps guide the case smoothly up into the die. The RCBS and Redding dies have a flat edge on the bottom of the expander ball, and sometimes cases will hang up on the expander ball and crush the edge of the case, ruining it. Plus, the Hornday seating die can be adjusted quickly with your fingers, where the RCBS die needs a screw driver and wrench.
I didn't have Dillon 223 dies, so I have never run these for 223. I use Dillon dies for 40 and 10mm, and they work well.

I've never ruined a case using the RCBS sizing dies in a Pro 2000 due to the case mouth hitting the bottom of the sizing button. Maybe the case isn't feeding straight on the 650. I also don't need to adjust my seating die after initial setup, unless I change bullets. I like things to stay put and don't prefer finger adjustment.

I have two RCBS Rock Chucker single-stage presses, and each are currently topped with Piggyback II conversions (5 stations). I also have two Dillon 550Bs (4 stations). I load .223 on the PBII with Redding dies and have no issues.