• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 / 5.56mm barrel lengths

BasraBoy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
What barrel length is anyone using on their AR uppers to get out to 600yds (using 77gr ammo) accurately and consistently?

Would a 16" do the job or does it need to be longer?

Thanks for your help.

Re: .223 / 5.56mm barrel lengths

16 will do it. Anything more is only really helpful for dealing with wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">16 will do it. Anything more is only really helpful for dealing with wind. </div></div>
+1 - If it's a decent barrel and you can do your part, 16" is fine for up to 600yrds

Depends on all the roles the rifle will be used for. The short barrel rage is great for CQB, but I'm not clearing houses anymore and as a civi now I chose to go with the 20" to try to get the most out of it... Have seen 16 & 18" barrels perform great out to 600 though... Good luck with the build!

Thanks Bill

It's not for CQB....just paper punching as an alternative to my bolt guns out to 600yds.

I've got the lower off my .22LR AR clone as a basis. Just trying to work out which way to go.

Here in the UK we can't have any "self-loaders" over .22LR so we have to have modified lowers (straight pull bolt) or use the rear charging handle to cycle rounds.

To clarify: SGC make a lot of the AR/M16 clones here:

http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/?page=items&cat_id=1

I don't want to end up with something that is the same to shoot as the bolt guns but just a different colour and shape - if that makes sense?

its barmy isn't it, i cross the north sea and am considered a maniac unless i have a straight pull AR but here in the continent as part of the same European Union i can have a semi auto AR.. makes sence to some one i guess.

Mines got a 12" Mike Rock barrel in it, ive an A-Tec modular supressor on the end of it and have set it up so the suppressor is semi-permanently fixed, tightened up it stretches the barrel via the larue handguard between the front of the handguard and the rear attachment/locking ring. damn thing is fun to shoot and is very accurate, i get sub MOA ( about 1/4) with Sako range and S&B factory ammo at 100m using my 1.5-6 S&B DMR. Best groups so far where with Hornady TAP, but that was with a 4-16x42 PMII on top.
Only thing I dont like is the amount of gas that comes back and gets in your nose and eyes, its not so bad without the suppressor mind, but i was fiddling with some SA80 gas parts the other day and am about to convert it to a piston driven rifle.

I haven't chrono'd the ammo to see what fps i'm getting, but it makes a hell of a handy foxing rifle.

regards Pete

Hello Pete

As you say...it must make sense to someone. I was in France with my son at the end of May and checked out shooting rules there.....seems like there you can have Self-Loaders AND semi-auto hand guns too as long as you get signed off by your club as shootong them every six weeks.

The only blip was that you needed to get permission from the gendarmerie if you wanted to use what they classify as "military calibres" (that would cover both my 308's, my 8mmx57, and my .303 as well as any .223/5.56, .45, 9mm etc etc.).

So much for EU equality!

I'd like to avoid a straigh pull bolt if possible! What is your opinion on using the charging handle to cycle? I've heard they are not up to it.

Was looking at the PRI Gas Buster.....

Cheers

Andy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its barmy isn't it, i cross the north sea and am considered a maniac unless i have a straight pull AR but here in the continent as part of the same European Union i can have a semi auto AR.. makes sence to some one i guess.

Mines got a 12" Mike Rock barrel in it, ive an A-Tec modular supressor on the end of it and have set it up so the suppressor is semi-permanently fixed, tightened up it stretches the barrel via the larue handguard between the front of the handguard and the rear attachment/locking ring. damn thing is fun to shoot and is very accurate, i get sub MOA ( about 1/4) with Sako range and S&B factory ammo at 100m using my 1.5-6 S&B DMR. Best groups so far where with Hornady TAP, but that was with a 4-16x42 PMII on top.
Only thing I dont like is the amount of gas that comes back and gets in your nose and eyes, its not so bad without the suppressor mind, but i was fiddling with some SA80 gas parts the other day and am about to convert it to a piston driven rifle.

I haven't chrono'd the ammo to see what fps i'm getting, but it makes a hell of a handy foxing rifle.

regards Pete </div></div>

Lets see a pic of it..........

Andy, ive a Browning BDM, a S&B Airlite TI and an AR15 semi auto,,
you'd get locked up for that in GB.

They are damn touchy about suppressors over here mind.

James, have a butchers in my gallery 2, there is a pic of it in there sans moddy but wearing a 3-12x50PMII. If you vere get your self over for a visit you can have a go with it,.

Pete

You're a lucky man Pete!

All sounds like yet another good reason to head to either Germany or France to me!

What about using the charging handle instead of a straight pull bolt on an AR - any problems that you could see?

Your gallery is like a giant sweet shop.......you want most of what you see, but you know you cant have them all!!!
18_RP15_3.jpg

This it? Would make a fun gun for lamping foxes..........

Hey James, go find your own thread I'm trying to get some info for a build here not run a drop-in centre....
laugh.gif

...but I know what you mean about Pete's gallery!

With 77 grain bullets go with at least a 20. Yes a shorter barrel will do it but what is the difference between doing it and doing it well?
I have this one barrel 1.5 inchs is all it will do at 600 any tips?
15s1mkp.jpg