• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223/ 5.56mm crimp

dj70

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2008
Ligonier, PA
How much if any do you crimp for ar-15's? I'm using Military brass w/ 62 gr fmjbt. I have both M855 and M193 factory ammo and I can't tell even with a magnifying glass if they have a crimp or not.

Re: .223/ 5.56mm crimp

I run .003 NT and still do a very light crimp with a Lee FCD, I think its good insurance.

Thanks guys!
Sounds like either way will work. I guess with a very light crimp you shouldn't have any pressure problems even with 25.5 gr of W748. But on the other hand like Humble stated, why bother with a low recoil rifle like the Ar-15.

Tha AR I used to have did very well with a light crimp. But cannalure bullets were mainly what I shot. While I don't think a crimp is always needed, sometimes you can gain a bit by forcing an artificially tight "neck tension". My favorite load with the 55s was IMR 4198. It seemed to like a little crimp to get things going.

Making noise or not. I was shooting 1 1/2" groups (the particular group I'm think of was 30 rounds) with iron sights at 100 yards.