• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 50 grain v max best powder to use

taracer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2008
Jackson MO USA
I have a bunch of 223 50 gr v max bullets and can't get much of a group with the powder i've been using. I have used IMR 4895 and 3031 and the best group I have gotten is about 5/8 of an inch. Not that I am dissapionted but I have gotten better than 1/2 inch groups with 50grhp federal value pack bullets out of the same rifle so I know it can do better. Thanks Gary

Re: 223 50 grain v max best powder to use

I am a Benchmark fan as well . 3250 fps and it shoots lights out in my rifle .

benchmark and h335 will get you were you want to be............... Lee

Varget is good but there are a couple more goods ones.
50 v-max are my favorite bullet.
The 2 types of powder I do up for them are:

<span style="font-weight: bold">25.0</span> grains, <span style="font-weight: bold">H335</span>, @ 3250 fps Vel.
<span style="font-weight: bold">23.5</span> grains, <span style="font-weight: bold">Vihtv. N-133 </span>@ 3300 fps Vel.

both loads chronyed out a, 24" with 9-twist and the groups are tight.

H322 or Benchmark

Varget is too slow for the little bullets in 223, can't get enough in the case. No doubt that it will shoot small groups with Varget but you can get same small group and a bunch more velocity with faster burn rate powders.

10X, N-130, N-133, 2015BR, H322, and Benchmark are all valid choices for 50 V-max out of a 223.

Thanks alot guys I guess I sould have put in the original post that the rifle is a 1-12 twist so I think I am on track with the light weight bullets. I realy wanted a 55 gr v-max but they were sold out when I went to get them last time. I will give the benchmark or the H335 a try witch ever one the local store has in stock. Thanks Gary

I use 27.0 grains of W748, winchester case and standard small rifle primer. 3,029 fps from a 24-inch, 1:8 twist stainless steel barrel at 84 degrees F. One ragged hole at 100 yards, not much bigger at 200.

I run RL10x with moly 50gr V-max's in a 1-12" factory 700 VS barrel. It produced some ragged hole groups at 100yds and very low ES. Shot well at 400yds also. 3,450 fps from a 24" tube, no pressure signs.

Another vote for Varget.

H-335 works great with the 50gr V-Max.

I had been using 26gr of Varget with 55gr Hornandy V-Max bullets, getting 3100 fps, and the case was too full. It was causing the bullet seater die to leave a ring on the bullet. I just switched to Benchmark after reading this thread. Big improvement. I am now using 26gr of Benchmark and getting 3200 fps. The case is definitely not as full and the seater die is no longer marking the bullet. Thanks for the powder info, it certainly helped a beginner reloader.

I load 21.8 gr. 4198 IMR or H - whatever is available.
I always full length size, and load to book length as we shoot this load in at least 6 different rifles. (family bulk load)
It shoots outstanding in 3 of the rifles, and more than accepable in the rest.

I found that the IMR & Winchester primers gave the highest velocity, and the IMR and Fed primers gave the lowest SD.
We load enough of these that sometimes we just use what powder and primers we can get, even the worst combination makes minute of prairie dog! The 50 grain v-max is a great pill for .223!

I have been thinking of trying the H335, I think ya'll have just convinced me.

seeing as this thread is 16 years old would anyone like to update any of the data. I just got into reloading and have always shot Fiocchi 50gr vmax. They have always shot well so I want to stick with them. Pending weather my velocity ranges from 3130 to 3250 off my magneto speed with factory ammo. I would love to hear any updated data that is available.

seeing as this thread is 16 years old would anyone like to update any of the data. I just got into reloading and have always shot Fiocchi 50gr vmax. They have always shot well so I want to stick with them. Pending weather my velocity ranges from 3130 to 3250 off my magneto speed with factory ammo. I would love to hear any updated data that is available.
An oldie but a goodie. Both my favorite loads are listed from 2008. 26gr of Benchmark and 27gr of 748. Some things never go out of style.

I always liked the 55 and 60gr. vmax better and I've gotten better accuracy with both but I'm sure it's barrel dependent. Pretty much stick to H335 for everything in the lighter 223 category.

dont shoot the 50s but do shoot the 53s with Benchmark. My favorite powder for those little vmaxs