• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 55gr VMAX twist rate

NorthWesterner

Staff Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2017
Sedro Woolley, WA
Looking for some insight from people shooting THIS bullet in a bolt gun. What twist are you running? I would like to run 75gr bthp as well. I think 8 twist Wpidl be ideal for flexibility.

9 tw stabilizes just fine with 75 bthp. 77 hpbt sierra works great too. 8tw is probably ideal if your building, but if you already have the gun no need to change. i have used varget and xbr8208.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skunk
I’ve ran the 50, 55, and 60gr VMAX bullets in 9 and 8 twist barrels. The 55gr liked both but seemed to group a bit better with the 9 twist. The 9 stabilized everything I put in it up to 77SMKs.

Anyone try a 7 twist with the light bullets too. Such as the 50gr vmax?

Never attempted it in a 7twist. The 50gr group size opened up in an 8 twist. This was a 5.56 chamber with a bit longer throat so it was dang near free bore before it hit the lands. I ultimately settled on 60gr VMAX since it seemed to be the least jump sensitive of all of them.