• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 55grain bullet suggestions

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    when I first started reloading I started with my WOA .223 barrel. (AR) Tried Hornady 73 eldm. Sierra matchking 69gr, and 55 grain Hornady soft points using H335 powder and ramshot tac.

Had Lapua and Winchester virgin brass. Used the good brass for the sierra and eldm. And the Winchester for the soft points.

It really wasent even close. The 55 grain soft points in Winchester brass, groups were better than the other two 9 times out of 10.
    I now have 8 lbs of h335 and want to try a bullet in the 55 grain weight class that is more consistent, I.E weight, ogive, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks fellas

Well first off. I would say start over.

Lapua brass
    75 eld
    Varget

H335 is blasting ammo powder. I load it for my range ammo for the ARs. For a precision load I would look at tac or varget and heavies.
    I Know I asked the question, and don't mean to argue, but I see northland shooter supply posting groups all the time from thier barrels, and more often than not, for the 223 they are using h335. I can shoot sub MOA groups from 21.6gr-25gr in this barrel with that powder. I've shot 3 of the smallest groups of my life with H335. I will try to hunt down some varget and give it a roll though.

Reactions: bfoosh006
    Side note. This is being taken out to 300 yards max. I just shoot for groups from bench and prone at 1-300, and use it as a varmint rig. Longest shot I take is about 250 yards.

From what I can decipher from the dude who made powder tests at the firingline forums, the good and bad powders have quite limited top accuracy. (His gun, 5 shots, 0.7moa)
    7 of 21 groups hit the 0.7 with different charges.
    0.9moa being the average and powders like VV140, RL15, AA2460 and Varget achieved this or better.

But the low limit for accuracy was 1.4moa. The rest of powders pretty much had a chance of making that 0.7moa but averaged closer to 1.0 and 1.1moa.

That said, you gotta pair the bullet with the barrel and that might not work with any powder. Johnny's reloading bench videos have shown that there is definitely differences to what the barrel/bullet combination likes.
    But in general, I'd say there are some powders that are more likely to get things going well. So do as you see best.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    H335 and 55grn Hdy SP is a wicked combination. Shoots very well out of my AR and if I was never going to shoot past 200 yards, it’s all I’d ever load.
    335 is temp sensitive and a bit dirty, but no biggie (I rarely shoot above 90deg anyway). I’ve just dumped Hogdon’s max of 25.3 (it only chrono’s around 2900, 16” barrel w/can) and figured the Wylde throat would keep any potential excess pressure at bay. That particular bullet has a good reputation on deer and pigs (not tried it yet myself)and it’ll do baseball sized exit on a yote shot through both shoulders (done that).

My favorite for further out is the 53 vmax w/TAC. High BC for its weight and does stuff out of a 16” AR that’d get me called a liar.

I wound up with these bullets because like the OP, my AR barrel, despite being 1:8”, hates heavies. I’ll swap barrels someday, but I’m pretty happy with the current combination I’m using.

Last edited:
    From what I can decipher from the dude who made powder tests at the firingline forums, the good and bad powders have quite limited top accuracy. (His gun, 5 shots, 0.7moa)
    7 of 21 groups hit the 0.7 with different charges.
    0.9moa being the average and powders like VV140, RL15, AA2460 and Varget achieved this or better.

But the low limit for accuracy was 1.4moa. The rest of powders pretty much had a chance of making that 0.7moa but averaged closer to 1.0 and 1.1moa.

That said, you gotta pair the bullet with the barrel and that might not work with any powder. Johnny's reloading bench videos have shown that there is definitely differences to what the barrel/bullet combination likes.
    But in general, I'd say there are some powders that are more likely to get things going well. So do as you see best.
    I'm very happy with the H335. I was just seeing if there were some better 55 grain choices. Alot of other forums have people saying h335 is the most accurate in thier 223. I have wanted to try some benchmark, and varget, so I think it's time to go find some.

Ahh ok that makes sense for 300 yards max. I immediately went restarted and starting shooting the .223 at 800 plus lol. That’s what we do around here.

My load for H335 is 25.5 in whatever mixed brass, and Hornady 55 groaners. I have done zero load testing besides just a few grains here and there.

If I had a dedicated precision build I’m sure you could get good groups but I load .223 to blast away.

For short ranges you should be good. Doesn’t Berger have a 50 grain class bullet?

@Dildobaggins

There are lots of reasons that you may have experienced better accuracy from your 55s at 100 yards. I have found 52-55 grain projectiles on top of H335 to be very forgiving both in reloading and with my technique (easy pressure curves, gentle preflight recoil). I've used multiple projectiles on top of a standard powder drop, without adjusting my seating die, and had a good enough with my process and rifles to use for short-range training ammo at 100 yards (i.e. changes in my technique resulted in a POI shift).

I've found 52gr OTMs from Hornaday in the last year that were priced in the 12-14 cent per round category that has been very adequate for my training. But I've also shot 8-10 cent 55gr FMJ BTs at 100 with useful groups.

In contrast, the other projectiles you've described are significantly heavier (for caliber) and fundamentally change the pre-flight recoil impulse in your gun. They will show gaps in your technique more in a more pronounced way. This may be influencing your group size at 100, more than 'what your gun likes'.

In my experience, variations in the projectiles themselves don't show a profound POI shift at 100 yards. The cheap(er) stuff is adequate for my training at 100 yards. When you push them further, their lower BCs and manufacturing inconsistencies show up with an increase in dispersal. If your long-term goals are to shoot at distances greater than 3-400 yards, working with heavier match-grade projectiles will be worthwhile.

Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing. 10-shot group fired from a semi-automatic AR-15 at a distance of 100 yards. Extreme spread = 0.448".

556_krieger_55_blitzkings_10_shot_group_-2568995.jpg

I've got a 1:8, 18" WOA barrel that I was starting to get concerned with until I dropped to 55 and 62 gr bullets as well. I have an excellent load with the 62gr Hornady BTHP that was a Midway or Midsouth exclusive and N135. I went from 1.5 MOA with the 77gr and 68/69gr stuff to .5 MOA (5 shot groups) and restored my faith in that barrel.

Also have a pretty solid performer with the 55gr Hornady soft points and N133.

FWIW, I only tried TAC, Re-15, and CFE-223 with the heavies...and there might be where my problem was. It was during the components crunch, and I was leaving my Varget for my other rifles that shot it extremely well.

I'd like to get the gun as accurate as possible at 1-300 yards. Before I bought the powder, my Lyman manual had H335 as the most accurate powder for the 55gr along with a couple other manuals.

@iktomi I am still improving for sure, but not only is my bipod and bags way, way, better, but my shooting fundamentals are as well. Still definitely need to work on everything, but I never thought about it like that. You're probably right.

@Molon @mheimer_45 I'll give those a try. And some lower grain eldm.

Reactions: iktomi
    You might want to try the 53gr Vmax, IMO they’re one of the few Hornady bullets that are worth a shit and usually shoot little knots.

I run factory Federal Tactical 55gr BTHP Sierra Gameking in my SPR and it shoots little ragged holes and works great on game. The 55gr SP Federal LE load shot very good too, just not quite as tight. Not sure who’s bullets they use for that but likely a Sierra or Speer.

FWIW... Bulk Hornady 55gr SP and FMJ's have always performed above its price point for me. It appears you have gotten the same results.

I will also suggest some of the varmint / poly tipped bullets.

Maybe consider some Horn. 75gr as well.

53 vmax 50 vmax 55 vmax 60 Sierra tmk are all excellent bullets. Your H335 powder is fine but if you want cheaper alternatives go with Xterminator or Tac.

FWIW... Bulk Hornady 55gr SP and FMJ's have always performed above its price point for me. It appears you have gotten the same results.

I will also suggest some of the varmint / poly tipped bullets.

Maybe consider some Horn. 75gr as well.
    Yeah it was just odd to me. If I shot 10 groups of 3-5 shots over half were 1/2 or under, and I just can't replicate it with heavier projectiles. But I will try other powders. Not complaining I'm loving it. Just thought it was odd.

My JP barrel loves 55 gr bullets with H335. If I go to a bullet in the mid 70 gr range, I go to Varget and it shoots real good. What doesn’t work good for me is Varget and 55 gr bullets. The case is so full that it sloshes out all over the Dillon, getting in the shell plate grooves and stuff. Makes a big mess and jams stuff up.

I've been loading the 50v-max over benchmark i a 16" 8tw. I run a rdo but did use my pst just to see how it shot when I started. Basically it's a ragged hole at 100yds. This is my winter coyote gun. Very lethal little bullet. I load this n a 550 don't know the charge other than when I started it was below max by .5 to 1 grains in lake city brass. Took it out it shot well. Put the rdo on and have not touched anything but the cap on the powder hopper.

Any of you guys ever run BLC-(2)? I've found that is another really good powder. Shoots good in a variety of calibers for me.

As far as 55 grain bullets, I've shot a bunch of FMJ's from Everglades in blasting ammo. Shoots as good as I need it to.

Heer is a thread on the 52 hammer out of an ar. The damage and penetration shown is something I would want if hogs were local to me. Hammers run better if crimped. Most likely because they have much less engraving resistance if you choose to run them