• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 77smk and 8208xbr

Mauser48

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 17, 2018
Going to load some 77 smk in a 223 wylde chamber for my origin build. I had some cfe 223 on hand but went and picked up some 8208 for these. How does everyone like 8208 for the heavies? Comparable in performance to varget I'm assuming? Also, how much should I jump these bullets? I know they're designed for AR mag length. Should I just run them at 2.260 or will they benefit being closer to the lands?

I use smk77 in 20” service rifle
I’ve found the smk77 to be non jump sensitive over the the years
Go to load 23.2 gr 8208
I’ve also had nodes at 22.8 and 23.0

I run them 2.250 in wylde chamber service rifle

While 77SMKs are a good bullets they are designed for AR15, there are so many other bullets
that have much better BC that you can use. No reason to seat 77SMK at 2.260 in a bolt rifle, you
are removing case powder capacity by seating them deep. Start at .020 jump and go from there.

IMR 8208 I have it, I use it, it burns clean but pressure comes on quick and its not all that consistent.
Its a weird powder.

Reactions: Mauser48
I would really like to shoot the 80eld but I only have 100 of them and I cant find any in stock. It would be nice to take full advantage of 223 in a bolt gun. 77 smk was in stock and I know they're a proven performer so here I am with 1k of them.

77 SMK'S will jump a mile and still be accurate. The big round profile on the 77 may be closer to the lands than one might think.

An excellent powder for 77’s. I’ve been using it for my 77 load for about ten years now. Barrel after barrel, whatever rifle it goes into, it works. Haven’t changed a thing about the load since the beginning, other than having to drop the charge a tad when IMR must have messed with the recipe. That was in 2013ish and it’s been consistent ever since.

I just finished a load workup in a tikka with the 77 smk and varget. My seating depth test showed best results at 5 thousandths off the lands than another good spot at around 15 thousandths off.

23.5gr XBR has performed better for me under a 77 than 23.2gr, with velocities very close to BHA white box Mk262.

Anywhere from 23.5-24gr of XBR will shoot well. All my ARs shoot the 24gr XBR load exceptionally well. That's my go to load. Haven't really found a AR that doesn't like that load.

My rifle will chamber a round with the 77smk at 2.360! It's a wylde chamber, not sure what results others have had. The ogive measuring tool would be nice for the hollow points, I should pick one up.

My rifle will chamber a round with the 77smk at 2.360! It's a wylde chamber, not sure what results others have had. The ogive measuring tool would be nice for the hollow points, I should pick one up.
Definately get the comparator tool and once u find your charge weight I’d do a seating depth test. Like I said I personally saw the best performance at 15 off and 5 off. Also make sure that whatever your loading to will fit your magazines.

When I had a Ruger RPR in 223, that 20" CHF 1:7" barrel got the best accuracy for highest velocity with 8208 with 77SMKs ot 75BTHPs. After that, the 80SMK or ELDM with 4895.