• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Action Options

NavyshooterM40

CAPT USN (ret)
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2010
Texas
I have a KRG Whiskey -3 (gen 3 or 4) collecting dust. I want to build a .223 trainer for my Grandson and myself. What actions do you recommend for a .223 build using the KRG?

Thanks

I have a KRG Whiskey -3 (gen 3 or 4) collecting dust. I want to build a .223 trainer for my Grandson and myself. What actions do you recommend for a .223 build using the KRG?

Thanks
I have an origin in my W3 with a .223 and its fantastic. I also have a zues in a bravo but the origin is way more comfortable to run and a lot more enjoyable just running the action

Reactions: AZLONGRIDER

Thanks
These are excellent actions and are a great value for the price.
They show "in stock" with the 223 bolt.

./

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I currently have 223 with Impact and a Surgeon action. I have had a TL3 as well. I would choose the Impact of the 3 personally.

I built a .223 on an orgin with a proof prefit and loved it....buddy loved it more so i sold it to him 2 weeks ago

Currently building another one again and i just picked up another orgin after looking at the other options trying to go with another company for a prefit but not getting responses back to me so may just end up another 26in proof was trying to go for 20-22in this time

My main 223 squeeze nowadays is on an arc nucleus action with the 16lb firing pin spring. Its pretty friggin sweet.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Kelblys atlas tactical .223 is hard to beat for price/value. Or a Prometheus for a few bucks more.

I built a .223 on an orgin with a proof prefit and loved it....buddy loved it more so i sold it to him 2 weeks ago

Currently building another one again and i just picked up another orgin after looking at the other options trying to go with another company for a prefit but not getting responses back to me so may just end up another 26in proof was trying to go for 20-22in this time
What bullet weights are you shooting and barrel twist rate? Can you get to 1000yds with a 22 or 24 in barrel or is that the reason for 26in?

What bullet weights are you shooting and barrel twist rate? Can you get to 1000yds with a 22 or 24 in barrel or is that the reason for 26in?
I just shoot 75gr hornady match and not sure i unfortunately dont have much in the way of longer ranges most ive done is 225

You didn't state your grandsons age.

I went with a used Winchester Model 70 Stealth I, 26" barrel 1x9 twist for $500.00, its heavy at 15lbs plus a Vortex Scope. I handload Hornady 75gr. match bullets, also tried it with off the shelf FGMM 69gr. SMK. It hammers just fine for training, not modern but the price point works for learning scope manipulation and calling the wind.

The easy button. Origin and Proof prefit. In stock at Evolved Ballistics. Paul is great to work with. I'm just a happy customer. I didnt use a proof prefit. I already had Southern Precision Rifles working on a barrel. I purchased the action from Paul.

https://evolvedballistics.com/actions/zermatt-arms-origin-short-action/

https://evolvedballistics.com/barre...fit-223-rem-26-1-7-twist-competition-contour/

PRS Trainer Rifle 223 01.jpg

Reactions: NavyshooterM40
i shot a 7 twist 24" heavy palma in TAC class with 75 JLKs right at 3k fps. it went to 1k just fine. held up just fine against open cartridges

Last edited:
Good options listed.

My preference of the Origin or ARC offerings is the ability to swap bolt face size for a low price……

The mack bros is nice, and a new bolt required change bolt face size and then you are north of the Origin or CDG in $.

My Origins are quite accurate and 1 often wears a 26” .223 7 twist barrel.

Reactions: Ichi
My 223 has a 24" 1-7 twist M24 countour PVA Rock Creek barrel on it and I'm shooting 75 Hornady BTHPs and 77 Sierra MKs coming out the barrel around 2750 fps. My home range only goes to 880 yds and I'd say that the rifle does well out to around 700 but beyond that in the wind things get a little dicey. At 880, bullet impacts on steel are very difficult to see through my spotting scope. I've never tried to reach 1000 yds with my 223 but I'd say you're really stretching it to reach that range unless you load longer than mag length with 90 grain bullets, but then you'd have to single feed rounds.

Origin..down the road if you decide enough with 223..swap the bolt head and journey further.

My latest is a 22br Origin action nested in a W3, runs like a top...I also went ahead and grabbed a 223 bolt head.

Reactions: powdahound76
If you're on a budget the Aero Solus is coming out with a .223 option in 4-6 months. Also Brian Allen is making pre-fit barrels for them now.
anyone should be able to make prefits...assuming they can make an action to spec. the origin/tl3 has been around for years and years

anyone should be able to make prefits...assuming they can make an action to spec. the origin/tl3 has been around for years and years
thats cool, i was just giving him a different option instead of the same stuff. If it's going to be a true trainer it should be the exact same setup as your go to rig, but yeah origin is great.

Origin..down the road if you decide enough with 223..swap the bolt head and journey further.

My latest is a 22br Origin action nested in a W3, runs like a top...I also went ahead and grabbed a 223 bolt head.

Bingo! If he wants to go bigger than the .223 then a bolt head swap and barrel swap is all that's needed. Well mags too but it also leaves a place for the OP to play with a different caliber if he wanted to use the rifle also.

Reactions: powdahound76
My 223 has a 24" 1-7 twist M24 countour PVA Rock Creek barrel on it and I'm shooting 75 Hornady BTHPs and 77 Sierra MKs coming out the barrel around 2750 fps. My home range only goes to 880 yds and I'd say that the rifle does well out to around 700 but beyond that in the wind things get a little dicey. At 880, bullet impacts on steel are very difficult to see through my spotting scope. I've never tried to reach 1000 yds with my 223 but I'd say you're really stretching it to reach that range unless you load longer than mag length with 90 grain bullets, but then you'd have to single feed rounds.
My 28" drove a 75 a max right at 3000 with varget. I have not chronoed the same ammo though my 26" rock creek pva barrel yet. I always had trouble getting consistent hits on prairie dogs past 700 with the 77SMK. There are better bullets for 700+ than the 77smk that aren't an niche as the 90s.

Well my build is underway
Orgin from nss
22in mtu from keystone
Tt diamond used off here
Solis chassis (sale on aero was hard to pass up so this is a stand in until i located a manners i want)
Gona pick up an accurate mag last one i ran a poly mdt and just like the metal mags more

Was quoted 3 week lead on the barrel and just hoping i dont regret it ive always ran proof and had no issues just wanted somthing a little shorter this go around and price was a hair under

Thanks
I don't know anything about a KRG but my action choice would be a Defiance Deviant Tactical with a covered port.

Why would anyone want a Deviant? Its a terrible choice in today's environment. If you are going to go with a defiance atleast get a ruckus or tenacity so you can get prefits.

Anything with ready made prefits, preferablly not proof, since they suck. I say this as someone who has a proof prefit on a my .223 trainer.

Why would anyone want a Deviant? Its a terrible choice in today's environment. If you are going to go with a defiance atleast get a ruckus or tenacity so you can get prefits.

Anything with ready made prefits, preferablly not proof, since they suck. I say this as someone who has a proof prefit on a my .223 trainer.
I like the Deviant better than those two.

For me, I would not buy any action today that I couldn't get prefit barrels for. Otherwise you will need to send in your action to whatever gunsmith you choose everytime you get a new barrel, and with UPS and Fedex's new rules prohibiting us from shipping firearms (now they both only accept firearms from FFLs with a signed firearms shipping agreement), shipping an action is harder than it used to be.

Today I think you can get prefits for American Rifle Company actions, Zermatt actions, Impact, Lone Peak, and Falkor, Curtis actions, Terminus Zeus, and Defiance Rukus, Tenacity, and AnTi, but not the Deviant. I may have missed some actions that someone makes prefits for but you get the idea.

And like others have said here, with American Rifle Company and Zermatt, you have changeable bolt heads to change calibers. You can get different bolts for many of the other actions, but you have to order a new bolt which is a little more expensive.

I worry the trigger hanger might not work with the KRG Whiskry-3 Chassis
Most chassis makers are now clearing the rear of the inlet for trigger hangars.
If your older KRG does not clear, it is a 10 minute job on a mill to clear it. Some have done it with hand tools & Dremel.
It would be an easy accomodation if needed.

Well my build is underway
Orgin from nss
22in mtu from keystone
Tt diamond used off here
Solis chassis (sale on aero was hard to pass up so this is a stand in until i located a manners i want)
Gona pick up an accurate mag last one i ran a poly mdt and just like the metal mags more

Was quoted 3 week lead on the barrel and just hoping i dont regret it ive always ran proof and had no issues just wanted somthing a little shorter this go around and price was a hair under
let me know when/if you want to get rid of that Aero chassis!

Reactions: Ahogue
If you're on a budget the Aero Solus is coming out with a .223 option in 4-6 months. Also Brian Allen is making pre-fit barrels for them now.
Where did you hear this? I contacted them today and they said no 223 bolt face is in the plans. They said mag bolt face is next in line.

Yeah last i spoke with them mag bolt face is next and they have had request for them but no solid plans

As far as prefits its nothing special just orgin

Ive got a 22in on order from keystone currently i was told 3 weeks eta but from what ive kinda seen im not getting my hopes up and this will be the first and last barrel from him