• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 AI build info

ram2940

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2022
Va
Interested in building my first bolt gun using 223 AI chamber. Hoping to use the new ARC CDG action. I have been trying to do alot of reading on which free bore to use, and correct twist for the barrel. Checked a couple barrel builders and they offer .062 free bore. What is this optimized to shoot and what would be best for shooting 60 to 80 grain bullets.

.062 is a wylde freebore so you can use that for comparison, the 75 elds works great with it in a bolt gun

With that freebore, how long could you load a round before hitting the lands.

Any good smith will have a throating reamer to give you whatever freebore you want.

What bullet do you want to shoot? My 223AI was chambered by SAC for an 80.5 Berger dummy round with the bullet seated where I wanted it.

With that freebore, how long could you load a round before hitting the lands.
~1.9 to the ogive with my comparator tools with a 75eld when new. 2.4 something oal, not sure, never measured that because accurate mags can take 2.55 and had plenty of room

+1 for standard Wylde chamber. I’ve had .90 and .125 “match” chambers and finally went back to straight .062 Wylde. It’s been the least finicky out of all of them and has shot damn near everything I’ve tried in it, including 90SMKs.

If you’re deadset on an AI I would go as long as possible and wring that bitch for everything it’s got. Probably something like a .155 if it were me.

LRI can do a 223AI with .100 freebore. I didn't commission the build but bought this rifle from another Hide member and it rocks with 80.5gr Fullbores and 80gr VLDs.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIBBS
I’d look at .110-.120
It will shot 75-80 just fine and allow to play with 88’s

Just remember for the CDG in 223 you need the coned breech. I just preordered from PVA an osprey prefit for the cdg in 223. They recommended the .100FB so thats what I went with.

Did you order a 223 wylde chamber, 223 rem or and AI chamber. Just tring to get some info before calling PVA.

Did you order a 223 wylde chamber, 223 rem or and AI chamber. Just tring to get some info before calling PVA.
They wylde is a .062 throat. In PVAs drop down menu for 223 they list 2 choices the .062 and the .100 they don't call it wylde. For 223 Ackley they only show a .062 choice. When I spoke to them they said they will do a custom freebore to your specs just send them 3 rounds loaded the way you want them and they will custom cut the throat you want.

Any good smith will have a throating reamer to give you whatever freebore you want.

What bullet do you want to shoot? My 223AI was chambered by SAC for an 80.5 Berger dummy round with the bullet seated where I wanted it.
I’m interested in this topic also because I’m interested in getting a 223 wylde bolt action for my first bolt action.

How do you know where to seat the bullet that you used to send to your Smith for proper throating?

I wouldn’t know where to begin other than hoping it liked a particular bullet that I have in mind.

Are you just going on what worked on a previous Barrel or is it possible to know exactly where you want to seat the bullet before you ever have the completed rifle in hand?

Thanks.

I’m interested in this topic also because I’m interested in getting a 223 wylde bolt action for my first bolt action.

How do you know where to seat the bullet that you used to send to your Smith for proper throating?

I wouldn’t know where to begin other than hoping it liked a particular bullet that I have in mind.

Are you just going on what worked on a previous Barrel or is it possible to know exactly where you want to seat the bullet before you ever have the completed rifle in hand?

Thanks.
Hold a bullet up even with a loaded round. Does it encroach way down into the case? Adjust accordingly.

1676681045276.png

@wildfowler

I see what you’re saying above.

Thank you.

I guess I may not know where the ideal encroachment down into the case the bullet needs to be seated.

Is there a minimum amount of neck contact with the bullet to consider?

Or another consideration?

I see what you’re saying above.

Thank you.

I guess I may not know where the ideal encroachment down into the case the bullet needs to be seated.

Is there a minimum amount of neck contact with the bullet to consider?

Or another consideration?
Some of my best combos have been seated way deep down in the case. There’s no hard rule.

But generally you want the base for flat of the bearing/boat tail transition of the bullet to be right ahead of the neck shoulder junction to try and avoid any donuts but with still as much remaining in the neck as the possibly thicker shoulder material navigates into the neck with multiple sizing and firing cycles.