• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 ai reamer for heavies

nrspence

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2017
Fillmore, Utah
What reamer and freebore would you all recommend for 77 grain to 88 grain bullets? Looking to re barrel a Tikka in 223 ai.

For a 77 Sierra, the wylde .062

For an 88 eld, the .090-.120 or so

For the 95 Sierra you’re gonna be closer to .180 or so

Most ai reamers I’ve seen are for the .062 area and just deal with a bit of case volume encroachment.

Reactions: DIBBS and nrspence
As spife mentioned, the .090-.120 range would probably be perfect if you can find it. Good freeborn for the 88s and the 77smk don't mind a little jump.

Unfortunately though Spife is also right about most AI reamers being in the .062 range and losing a little bit of case volume. Some smiths can do a custom throat if you sent them a dummy round though. Deep South Tactical has a .223 AI reamer on order with .120 freebore if I remember correctly.

My straight .223 is chambered with .125 freebore and it’s basically perfect for jumping 80+ bullets 20-30ish thou and not running into mag length issues.

Going to guess you’ll run into mag constraints with anything heavier.

Reactions: nrspence
My straight .223 is chambered with .125 freebore and it’s basically perfect for jumping 80+ bullets 20-30ish thou and not running into mag length issues.

Going to guess you’ll run into mag constraints with anything heavier.
MDT poly mags?

Modified MDT metal and Accurate-Mags.

Haven’t tried poly MDT or AI mags, but I seem to remember them accommodating similar OALs to the modified metal ones.

66683064688__17707CB9-6ED2-4084-801A-813A046F16A4.jpeg

This is the one I use for lapua brass and 75and 80elm . I got the print number from Brian Pence. Chambered spa few barrels with it and doing another next week

.0618 freebore?
yeah pretty much same as a wylde 75eldms right around 2.445 with a .050 jump
Jgs cut way better then my ptg reamers manson are very good too so I usually try to buy from one of those tow company's

just be sure to have a range of pilots krieger usually use .2178 but the kp barrels I just did needed .2186 and .2188

yeah pretty much same as a wylde 75eldms right around 2.445 with a .050 jump
Jgs cut way better then my ptg reamers manson are very good too so I usually try to buy from one of those tow company's

just be sure to have a range of pilots krieger usually use .2178 but the kp barrels I just did needed .2186 and .2188
Great info. I sure appreciate it.

Great info. I sure appreciate it.
You got it. Only other thing is the redding dies are cut to the incorrect head space for a correctly head spaced ackley chamber which is -.004 (223 gage ) for go and a standard "go" becomes the no go. So the redding may not bump the shoulders back. One of two ways to fix this is to take a little off the bottom of the sizing die the other is to thin the shell holder

Reactions: Aftermath
You got it. Only other thing is the redding dies are cut to the incorrect head space for a correctly head spaced ackley chamber which is -.004 (223 gage ) for go and a standard "go" becomes the no go. So the redding may not bump the shoulders back. One of two ways to fix this is to take a little off the bottom of the sizing die the other is to thin the shell holder
Dang it, I bought i Redding type s full length sizer.

.125 freebore for 95smks and they are still bellow the neck shoulder junction but work great regardless, also runs 88eld and 85 hybrids great

Last edited:
Do you just single feed?
I run them from accurate mags at 2.560.
The mags will run 2.6 max after some filing on the front.
Edit to above .. I was mistaken, my freebore is .125 on the 223AI ….. it’s .220 on my 22 dasher

Attachments

• D1B93EE7-486C-4E6E-A440-41B556366DEB.jpeg
    D1B93EE7-486C-4E6E-A440-41B556366DEB.jpeg
    358 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
What velocities are you guys getting with a 223AI? I've seen others post their velocities with heavies and I'm seeing little to no benefit when comparing the velocities I get with a 223 wylde chamber.

I've just heard there is no point to not go ai because the shoulder angle actually is better on the brass if chambered properly.. it tends to stretch less and you can get 2.5 more grains in it so I would think that has to translate to velocity somewhere
40 degree is nice for less trimming

velocity wise, AI isn't super duper extra velocity out the ass crazy ness. its mostly marginal

Just for reference from a 223 wylde chamber I was running 88gr elds from a 22" Krieger at 2830ish(definitely a fast barrel) and 2850s from a 26" MPA/X-caliber barrel. I've been able to get in the 2870s safely with a 28" proof barrel with a long throated 223 manson chamber and it's not fully broke in yet. No problems with velocity inconsistencies or need to trim very often.

What kind of velocities are you guys seeing with 85gr or heavier bullets with the 223AI?

I wouldn’t go with anything less than a 0.254 neck diameter either. 0.255 would probably be better if you can.

I am facing this issue with my redding die, how much do you have to cut off? Thanks