• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk .223 As a starter PRS gun a waste?

i agree a guy can start with a .223 and have fun. I guess my definition of competitive may a bit different. If I’m not top 5 at a national match I’m disappointed with myself. I can’t recall the last time I’ve seen a .223 on the podium. I guess my point to the OP was if you’re looking to take the competitive aspect seriously I’d be saving you some time by steering you away for a 223 rem. If your goal is to just have fun and plink and you don’t really care how you finish and want to do it as cheaply as possible than yes 223 would be a good option for you. Someone really
Needs to make a 12 round 223 mag....cough...MDT.... cough

pretty sure Kevin ran a 223 at frontline this past weekend and took 5th. That isn’t the norm though. He is also a very good shooter.

Somewhere here in SH a guy posted how he retrofitted a mag extension to his 223 Accurate Mag to get the 12 rounds in.

As for the 223 being competitive... The rifle is not the weak link... it's always the shooter. As posted above, a good shooter can perform well even with a 223 which can be better than most people think if its set up right.

Just make sure your expectations are realistic, hit what you can hit and try for what you might not.

Don't try to compete with the winner, just compete with yourself. Get good with what you have and you might be surprised how well you do.

If you finish in the bottom half with your 223, you would not have done much better even if you fired the winners rifle. Just try and do better next time.

Last edited: