• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 ballistic issue

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
Running a 24” 223 for prs. Had it dialed in last year for the last 5-6 prs matches. Finally got a kestrel and the data from the kestrel was absolutely on point, matches my real world dope, all was good.

Came out to my first prs event this year, and it went to hell. Same ammo, same gun, same everything. Kestrel data was good out to about 500 yds, after that (550-700) , it was significantly off, huge misses, and my holds were over a half mil off. Cost me a ton of points.

Now, it was cold out, 35 degrees. And the last prs events I was shooting were 65-85 degrees. I did update the kestrel for weather prior to shooting.

Any ideas what happened? I am newer to kestrel, but did have great success with it last year. Maybe I’m missing something.

I did clean my barrel prior to prs match, but it had about 50 rounds through it prior to the match, and my zero was still dead on. So I don’t see it being a fouling issue. Same ammo as last year.