• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Barnes 78g TSX Load Question

240nmc

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2013
North Carolina
I’ve always used a standard load of 24.5g of RL15 or Varget in my match shooting days and it never mattered if I was using a 69g MK, 77g MK, or 75g Amax. I never shot the 80g Bergers. Same powder charge whether shooting 200, 300, or 600 yards and it got me a High Master card back in the day when AR were open sights and “weren’t real match rifles,” says the M1A shooter…. And the Model 70 bolt gunners that said we were just kids with plastic toys!

I’ve been loading some Barnes 70g TSX bullets using same powder charge using either a AR or REM 700 5R and they shoot great for my needs. I’m hunting does, coyotes, some pigs of opportunity with the 223. Main go to rifle for larger deer is a 260Rem and hogs are shot with a 300 AAC BO.

I started loading up some 78g TSX bullets using same powder charge and really getting a compressed load to hit my COL of 2.260”. It reminds me of the days when we played around with 6.5 twist barrels loading 90g JLKs in the AR and compressing the crap out of the powder.

I loaded 2 rounds will check for pressure in the 5R bolt gun and see what I see.

Any one have any recommendations for a load using the 78g TSXs? I have pounds of of Varget and RL15 so would like to stay with those. I’m working towards hunting accuracy and based on ranges inside 200yards, and don’t need to push the velocity.

As always, I get good feedback from all the members and thanks in advance.

I spoke with someone at the range today who was trying that bullet in a 9 twist Remington 5-R and mentioned that I was curious about his results and he said he wasn't optimistic. On my way out he said it's a no-go. We think that's why Barnes didn't list a load for it.

Just noted you're in NC. Was that you?

Last edited:
That would be me if you were the RO at CR-PC…

Here’s the results out of a fast twist AR match barrel….That shoots everything else under MOA. Not going to try to create a workable load for 8 grains over the 70g TSX. I was also getting some flowing of the primers as well.

0147795A-5758-4B61-B8AA-0AE30515A548.jpeg

Second picture is the 77g MKs and I called the two shots to the right as out. Been using much lighter triggers on the hunting rifles and this Ar still has the old Springfield Armory 2 stage at 4.5 pounds….

BA796280-A3CA-4730-A5CE-097A093CAED7.jpeg

78 TSX bullet that’s a long bullet
I hope you have a 1:7 twist
The one thing I noticed about TSX is you need velocity to get the bullet to open up. I noticed that the 62gr TSX bullet performance was tad better than the 70gr TSX in the 5.56 due to increased velocity. I expect the 78TSX would need even more vel to perform than the 5.56 can deliver. A 78TSX in 1/7 in 22-250 would be dandy deer load ……

Last edited: