• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 223 Barrel length

skep_tic1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2007
NC
I'm thinking of having a new barrel put on my model 70. It currently has a 1 in 9" x 26". I'm wanting to shoot some of the heavier bullets so I'm going with a 1 in 8" twist. Should I stay with the 26" length. I don't mind a 26" barrel if its going to give me more velocity. Any brand suggestions?

Re: 223 Barrel length

How heavy do you want to go with bullets? Maybe you should consider a 7.5 twist.

80 grains is about as heavy as I'd like to go.

Really??? No one has any experience with this? Interesting....

26", huh? I guess it would depend on whether you need barrel length for extra sight radius using irons.

22" should be enough. No more that 24".
My 223AI is 22'' and it does very well on speed and accuracy. Not to mention that it is handy to tote.

There's not enough powder in that case to make use of a 26" bbl. Or, more accurately, you can't get enough <span style="font-style: italic">slow burning</span> powder in that case to make a .223 play with the big boys.

Well... I wouldn't say I'm trying to keep up with the "big boys". I like to shoot and I can load 5.56 cheap. Plus I've got a little competition with a buddy on who can put the most accurate 22 cal combo together to shoot out to about 500 yrds. He's got a 22-250 he's putting together. Yes I know, we could have stepped up the caliber but we are trying to keep it challenging. I already know I can out shoot him with 7.62 LOL.

I used to use a 26inch .223 with a 1:6.5 twist to shoot 90 vlds it was a great setup for long range but not for the annual prairie dog trip

I'd get a 7 or 8 twist barrel ( 7 may give you more options if you decide to try heavier bullets) order a barrel with a 5" cylinder and finish at 26". Half way thru the barrel life you can set the barrel back and recrown and still be at 22" in length.

Ive got a sweet shooting mid 90's mod 70 sporter varmint 12 twist 26" I love but 55 gr is as heavy as I can shoot.I would like Ur 9 twist ..want to shoot Fed 69 gr match max. 70gr or up I grab the 243 win. I traded thru 3 or 4 till I got one minty an very sub moa. Wally World ,Fed 200 rd blk white box 50 gr jhps will do .75 Hornady 55 gr TAP will do .5 . CamoCat can vouch he shot it. Long story short if U re barrel I can use a good 9 turn mod 70 barrel.

22" Max., and that's for 80-grainers in front of powder that burns slow enough for you to move the gas port on a semi.

24.0 with an 80-grainer, or 24.5 RE15. Either should rock in any AR. Watch for pressure: if you blow primers, back off. It can be hard to see pressure signs in a .223 case from an AR until the primers let-go.

I agree with Graham, 22 is about as long as you will need. I have two, one Ar with an 8 twist 20 inch barrel, and the other a 700 custom 7.7 twist 20 inch barrel. Both shoot the 75 Amax extremely well,(.2.3 moa on my better days.) 24.5 of RL-15 in the Ar, and 24.0 in the bolt gun.

Had a .223 built this winter and went with a 27" 1 in 7 twist Brux barrel. Cleans up about as easy as any barrel I've owned, and that is shooting it suppressed. Can push 90 gr. Bergers @ 2800 and is 1/2 moa rifle with several different bullets.

You have your work cut out trying to keep up with a 22-250. A fast twist 22-250 is the shit for pushing heavy 22 cal bullets. Might look at a 22 PDK, little more powder to play with.

Good day,

Free velocity from a longer tube and a milder load is better than short brass life, hot load and short barrel. If you've got access to QuickLoad, find your favorite load and compare at 20, 24, 26 and 28 inches. After 28" it's a case of diminishing returns, but they are still there.

HTH,
DocB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cattle buyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Extra barrel length is like having a long talleywhacker ! Ull never go wrong,long...</div></div>Not really.

Much like the male member, one can have an apendage too long to be satisfying to the other party without painful consequences... but I digress.

Back on topic: Ask the guys experimenting with .338 Norma about the fouling they experienced an inch prior to exit at the muzzle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like 1-9 and 26 inches. </div></div>Ouch!
laugh.gif

Mr. Bronco, you raise a good point. I know that a 22-250 loaded right will out perform a 223 all day. However, and this is a big however..... my buddy will be using a stock savage and factory loaded ammo and will be picking his optic so im not sure about that. Now on his behalf, he can make cans dances out to 440yrds but the fact that he is using basically an out of the box rifle makes me think i have an edge. Plus, my 223 rounds with that long AMAX protruding out the front are quite sexy IMHO...

I am running a 24" 1:8 twist no contour heavey bull barrel in .223 (AR PLATFORM)

I have a 5.56x45 NATO spec chamber to allow higher pressures from my reloads and It LOVES 77grain SMK's. I have pushed this rig to 1000 yds with no problems. I wouldn't want anything longer than 24" though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skep_tic1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. Bronco, you raise a good point. I know that a 22-250 loaded right will out perform a 223 all day. However, and this is a big however..... my buddy will be using a stock savage and factory loaded ammo and will be picking his optic so im not sure about that. Now on his behalf, he can make cans dances out to 440yrds but the fact that he is using basically an out of the box rifle makes me think i have an edge. Plus, my 223 rounds with that long AMAX protruding out the front are quite sexy IMHO... </div></div>

You might have a chance yet running against a stock 22-250, try to keep the targets past 500 and those high bc bullets will help a lot. Comparing a 80.5 gr. Berger @ 2950 to a 52 gr. match Sierra @ 3800 you really start to shine around 400 yd. By 600 you have half the wind deflection, so pick a breezy day. Good luck!

skep tic1, I'll be in NC late Sept. Can I join in with my bone stock Savage 22-250? Have you got a place where we can shoot 800 yards?

We may be able to push 600 but yeah pm me and ill give you some contact info. He called me today to let me know that he had just put 5 shots in 1 5/16" at 265 yrds. So, I've got my work cut out for me.

Well, then he's a good shooter. Walt Berger says three shots tells you if the gun is any good. Five shots tells you if the shooter is any good.