• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Barrel Poll

If you were building a precision 223, 3 barrels on the shelf, which do you choose?

• Hawk Hill

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Bartlein

Votes: 43 74.1%
  • Mullerworks

Votes: 6 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brazo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2018
Verona, NJ
Also happy to hear opinions on twist rate for primarily Hornady 75 ELDM but will probably throw a box of 88 ELDM in the cart as well.

Lastly, 4 groove or 5r / other? Any benefits to any or same/same?

A big thank you in advance!

-Joe

of course what is actually on the shelf is a big factor. I have a 204 Mullerworks being used on a built now so I’ll give feedback when I shoot it.
223 is next so I am very interested in thoughts.

6 of 1, half dozen of the other, they're all the same.
I chose Bart 5r, only cause that's what I have on mine, but I'm positive I couldn't shoot the difference...

I got the SAC 223 kit for my SRS, 1/7.7 5R Bartlein. I’ll be testing 75 ELD in a couple days, hoping for close to 3,000 FPS.

I did this recently. Hawk Hill because it was in stock. I’ve got just about everyone else’s barrels on something. Per my application, I can’t tell a difference between any of the top brands.

Beanland built .223, .160 freebore, 1-7 twist, 24” M40 contour. Stupid accurate with Berger 80.5, ELDMs 75 were not even in the ball park of the Berger’s at distance. So $200 for 1,000 ELDMs, or $287 for 1,000 Bergers (on sale)? I went Berger. Make no mistake, at 100 yards ELDMs looked just as good as the Berger’s. But at 300 yards and farther the Berger’s were a hammer, the ELDMs were so-so. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Brazo
Yea Jon is one stop shopping for builds done right. If your in the area PM me and you can shoot mine before you buy. Loaded 200 rounds up for it last night. So....

That sounds like a dream my friend but I'm all the way on the east coast. Looks like I need to give those 80.5 bergers a second look!

I ran a Krieger. It shot very well. In fact is still shooting pretty good. I sold the gun a couple months ago with 3500 rounds on it. But to be honest I think any of the high end barrels will shoot well. Just pick the one that is in stock with your preferred profile and length and price.

Mine has a Hawk Hill 26" varmint contour 1:7, but I'm not sure # of grooves. I shoot Berger 80.5 s and same as Old308 they hammer.

My 6GT has a Bartlein and my 260 had a Bartlein. Any good brand barrel will be fine.

I have used Bartlin.Rock Creek and BenchMark barrels on 223 builds and love them all.