• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Black Hills 77gr SMK Clone load?

3-0-hate

Captain Nimcompoop
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Lost in Idaho...
Hello, I have been playing with some load development in my XTC Service rifle (20" AR15, WOA Match barrel) and I still have not come up with anything quite as good as the Black Hills Blue Box 77gr Match ammo.

Does anyone have a good clone load for this?

Thanks!

Re: .223 Black Hills 77gr SMK Clone load?

24.5 grns of AA2520 gives me 2785 fps from a 1/8 18 SS Wilson barrel. I could go hotter but no need as this load is a hammer! I tried Varget, 4895 and 4064 and all gave great accuracy but not the speed I was looking for. I get the same accuracy from the 2520 as the others. I developed my load in the summer so there are no pressure issues. AA2520 is the most consistant powder I have dealt with, three or four lots required 24.5 to get the same speed!

ETA I'm pretty sure that's close to mk262 velocities from an SPR...

Reactions: Mcgiggles

23.5 H4895 or 24.0 8208 XBR match issue Mk262 ammo for me in CLE 1-7.7 Krieger. The H4895 load is by far the most accurate.if your running a wylde or NATO chamber, work up to 24.0 of H4895 to get the speed back up to 2800-2850. But the 77's will like to run 2750-2850. anywhere in there they like. my loads above give 2800 for the 23.5 H4895 load and 2850 for the 24.0 XBR load, and 2850 for 24.0 H4895, but its a brass killer aftr two loads, whike the 23.5 you will split necks before you lose from primer pockets.

If your not a careful or experienced loader, go with TAC and 25.0 grains or MR2000 pro @ 25.3 grains, it will be easier to keep the charges consistant without having really good gear or technique. If your chasing points, spend your time getting in and out of position when you dry fire to establish NPA, don't get a good position and sit there clicking the trigger for 20 minutes, getting into a good position and establishing NPA is a far more important skill that will pay off more on the line. You only have s much time, don't spend it all getting into position, learn that at home. NPA is critical. want to learn trigger control, do that watching TV in your lap, use dry fire time to learn NPA and establish it quickly.
Above all, trust yourself, trust your zero and trust what your front sight told you. Learn to call your shots within a ring, and you will be golden, no pun intended,,
wink.gif

Reactions: MarkBlue

I have developed a load with the same velocity as MK262 but without th Tubbs Carrier Weight system installed it blows primers. 24.5gr RE15...use caution it is a HOT load

Tac 24.0gr is my SHTF load using 77gr SMK's. This is a max load according to Ramshot, but it doesn't show pressure signs for me.

Work your load up of course.

I used N140 @ 24 Grns out to 300 with the SMK 77. Turned it up a pinch to 24.5 for the long line with the SMK 80 on the lands. I am using a CWS and have not seen any pressure signs. I may turn it up a little bit this season and see what happens. RL-15 with the same weights works just as well. I tried 22 grns for the 200 line but didn't notice any real difference, thought it might shoot just a little softer, but I really clamp down on the gun so maybe it's just me. Find a load and stick with it. Don't spend time testing loads. Get it done and get on the gun. See you on Viale! Good luck and good shooting!

Doug

P.S. I ran those Black Hills thru a chrony some years ago and they were running at 2750ish. The fastest bullet isn't always the most accurate. I am currently using a 1/7 Douglas barrel. (With a name like "Douglas" on it, you just know there's something wrong with it!) Uh...they were Red box I tested.

Some good data here. I will have to give some of these a shot..

I'm shooting the same setup for my XTC competitions (A2 White Oak upper, 20 inch 1/7 twist Wylde chamber barrel) I use 24 grains of Reloader 15 with the 77 grain SMKs. It's an excellent load that will hold the X-ring if I do my part.

Late data, but:

Federal case, Federal Match AR Primer, 25.5 gr CFE223, loaded to mag length.

Cronos through my krieger service rifle the same as some Black Hills made for the military match guys (MK262 Mod1 ).

AND, no pressure signs (YMMV).

The closest I've gotten to a MK262 clone is this:
My rifle: AR-15
Scope: Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x (OPMOD)
Barrel: DB tactical 18" 223 wylde bull barrel

Bullet:
77 grain OTM (unknown manufacturer due to them being pull down, but the weigh difference were +/- .002 grains max)
Powder: 24.5 grains WC-846*
Brass: Lake City
primer CCI No. 41
OAL: 2.26 in**
After 20 shots:
Avg velocity: 2868
ES: 21
SD: 10.7

Shooting a string of separate groups, my groups at 100 yards have been .8 MOA with my best being .65 MOA.

* Using tweezers even though a pain to ensure my weight is precisely changing from 2.498 to 2.5 grains to minimize variance in load weight.
** Projectiles were pushed to exactly the same length on the dot.

I have had good luck with 24 grains of varget. It’s a pain to have to use the charge master for loading, but I have a ton of varget on hand. I get right at 2400 FPS out of a 12.5” wylde chamber.

My load is as follows (work up as always)

77smk on top of 25.1g of TAC, LC case and Remington 7-1/2 primer.

Shot out of my mod H, it produced a mean MV of 2778 over 10 shots last time I chronoed it.