• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .223 bolt action builder

OLD308

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2018
I have the stock, M5 bottom metal, trigger, and trued 700 action. Need mags and a barrel M40/M24 contour (prefer about 20").
I want the rifle to reliably mag feed the highest BC bullet I can fit in there. I reload. So far it looks like the 77 TMK. Will not Ackly improve.

What chamber and why?
Anything better than the 77 TMK?
Twist rate.
Have you solved the often referenced magazine issue.

Minimal information about this set up that reliably performs and/or other options. Not interested in other calibers, single feeding, or switch barrel. PM me your information if you have the history and ability to complete this project. I've asked a few so called gunsmiths about this project and they shy away. Guessing the mag issue that is often referenced is real? Or is there some other issue? Thank you.

I have had good luck with all types of mags with just a little effort making them function properly. If I was starting from scratch I would do the Ruger mags mentioned above. They usually need to have 3/8" of the front of the feed lips removed to feed perfect.

8 twist barrels are easy to find and stabilize the 80 ELD perfectly. The 80 ELD-M is awesome. Load a dummy round to about .050 short of mag length and send it to someone who has a throating reamer. Have them throat it so that the dummy round is .020" away from the lands. You should be able to get 2,800 FPS in a 20" with the 80 ELD.

I'd also mention, a reamer with about .100-.110" freebore is very good if you don't have it custom throated.

Interesting suggesting about throating. Are the ELD or ELDMs in 80 shorter that the 77 TMKs? Or are you shoving back into the casting and loosing volume for powder? Never would have though about the Ruger mags. Do you have a Gunsmith in mind?

Interesting suggesting about throating. Are the ELD or ELDMs in 80 shorter that the 77 TMKs? Or are you shoving back into the casting and loosing volume for powder? Never would have though about the Ruger mags. Do you have a Gunsmith in mind?

The 80's are most likely longer than the 77 TMK's. Don't worry about losing case capacity. The .486 G1 BC of the 80's make up for that.

7 twist, Wylde chamber, and 80 ELD-M.

Ruger poly AI 223 magazine, sku 90562.
On sale

Reactions: DIBBS
1/8 twist - If you might be shooting 53gr vmax for varmints! Never tried with a 1/7, but was recommended this and it worked great. Also ran 75 and 77gr bullets great.

Wylde chamber

Call LRI. May be a little different since your action is already trued. Unless they did the initial truing.

I did this and it shot under 1/2” regularly with Hornady 75 gr Black Box with my crap shooting skills

So as no Gunsmiths have replied (PM), I'll proceed with thinking there is an issue some were in this build.

Question

Has anyone attempted to take a standard 308 mag an modify to fit the .223? Think similar but not exactly what they are doing with the 6br? This would give outstanding COAL. I've go a few AI and Acccu mags lying about. Thinking I'll try. Thoughts?

So as no Gunsmiths have replied (PM), I'll proceed with thinking there is an issue some were in this build.

Question

Has anyone attempted to take a standard 308 mag an modify to fit the .223? Think similar but not exactly what they are doing with the 6br? This would give outstanding COAL. I've go a few AI and Acccu mags lying about. Thinking I'll try. Thoughts?

No need... with 80 ELD I use AICS 223 mags and have plenty of room left in the mag with the boat tail bearing surface at the shoulder/neck junction with my 223 SPR Match chamber

Reactions: Geno C.
The Ruger AICS mags? Whats your COAL? Thanks

No not ruger. Ruger mags suck.
You are right that the accuracy international polymer mags are better. As far as I know they have been out of production for several years. Do you have a link to where they are in stock to help the OP out?

You are right that the accuracy international polymer mags are better. As far as I know they have been out of production for several years. Do you have a link to where they are in stock to help the OP out?

No I bought a bunch of them and buy them when they pop up. I also run Accurate 223 mags which have the same COAL and run great. You also have MDT 223 mags with the long coal and run great.

Accurate mag. 80vld .020” off the lands in a .100” freebore chamber