• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 bolt gun feed fixes

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
Looking for guidance how to set up a .223 bolt gun to feed reliably. I've searched the forum and all the past posts just turn into a pissing match as to why one mag material is better than the other. Let's just skip that argument...

Factory Rem 700 223 in KRG Bravo. Issue I have is that the last 1-3 rounds do not reliably feed. What happens is as the cartridge tips up into the chamber the base gets pushed down into the mag and the bolt rides up on top. Sometimes it doesn't even start chambering and the bolt will just slip over the top of the case.
One thing I noticed is if I push all mags firmly up into the magwell they will all feed no issues. So I'm debating if the adjustable trigger guard from KRG is worthwhile or if it's a bandaid for a bigger issue.

Anyone have tips to make these feed more reliably? I have 1x Metal MDT, 2X Polymer MDT, and 2X Magpul mags. Trying to source an accurate mag locally to test before I buy anymore. So far I'm striking out though.

Attachments

• 20231204_125912.jpg
    20231204_125912.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Well, the first thing that I noticed was what you said about not having a feeding issue if you firmly seat the magazine up into the well. Maybe I`m missing something, but my first response based on that is, " Make sure you firmly seat the mag up into the magazine well. " I don`t mean that as a smart ass answer either because I found that firmly seating the magazine up into the well, with the bolt fully open, helped solve some feeding issues with my Savage 110.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Well, the first thing that I noticed was what you said about not having a feeding issue if you firmly seat the magazine up into the well. Maybe I`m missing something, but my first response based on that is, " Make sure you firmly seat the mag up into the magazine well. " I don`t mean that as a smart ass answer either because I found that firmly seating the magazine up into the well, with the bolt fully open, helped solve some feeding issues with my Savage 110.

I am seating the mags. They have a little bit of up and down play. If I push and hold them up it feeds fine. If I don't it has issues.

Reactions: anisbet75
I had a similar issue with a Badger DBM. Marty sent me a few of the release levers of various lengths and I put one it that fit.
You might need to weld, change or shorten the lever. That seems to be where the issue often exist. It's just a matter of getting the mag to sit solidly in the place it works best.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I had the same issue once. I used some JB weld to build up the mag catch on the magazine to make the mag sit higher. Worked great.

You could try it on one of your polymer mags without having to ruin the mag. Just sand the surface below the mag catch so the JB weld will hold better. Put more on there than you think you will need, then you can file it little by little until it locks in perfect.

Make sure you are pulling the bolt rearward all the way until the bolt stops.
With a 223 the case ejects and there is still quite a bit of rearward travel required to allow the
bolt head to get past the end of the next round and allow it to rise.

Had similar issue with 300BLK. Ideally you'd need a chassis with a adjustable mag height latch (MPA, XLR, etc) or perhaps the KRG adjustable latch would work.
Otherwise like the others have said, modify the mag catch with jb weld or similar.

Reactions: Vandoogle13
I had the same issue once. I used some JB weld to build up the mag catch on the magazine to make the mag sit higher. Worked great.

You could try it on one of your polymer mags without having to ruin the mag. Just sand the surface below the mag catch so the JB weld will hold better. Put more on there than you think you will need, then you can file it little by little until it locks in perfect.
I was considering JB weld or something else to build up the latch stop nub. I'll tinker with it some more. Wasn't sure if that was the proper material.
Had similar issue with 300BLK. Ideally you'd need a chassis with a adjustable mag height latch (MPA, XLR, etc) or perhaps the KRG adjustable latch would work.
Otherwise like the others have said, modify the mag catch with jb weld or similar.
KRG has the adjustable latch as well as the extended latch you can file down. I was going to get the adjustable one just want to make sure thay is the right thing to do. Didn't want to drop more coin if it's not what's needed.

I was considering JB weld or something else to build up the latch stop nub. I'll tinker with it some more. Wasn't sure if that was the proper material.

KRG has the adjustable latch as well as the extended latch you can file down. I was going to get the adjustable one just want to make sure thay is the right thing to do. Didn't want to drop more coin if it's not what's needed.
Another thing I've noticed,

I have the newish (I think 2020/2021) MDT 10 rounds 223 mag (metal) with the longer feed lips
Accurate mags - 5 rounds
Plastic MDT mags 10 rounds

All of these have different mag catch height. The new MDT metal mag rides a bit higher than the others, so be mindful if you set up your mag latch height to work with the plastic mag, you might encounter bolt drag on the feed lips on the metal mag because they'll ride too high.

I’ve had issues with my KRG Bravo and an Accurate Mag(metal). I field expedient fixed it while I was away from home with some electrical tape just to make the mag have more “material” around the mag catch area. I don’t like the way it fits still as I never had this issue in the manners it was previously in.

This is my first KRG chassis, and I had better expectations based off the good talk around here.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
I've been running the MDT polymer mags in my 223 Remage Bravo for a few years and luckily had zero feeding issues. Last year I put together a 300BLK rifle with another Bravo chassis and ultimately had to get the magazine latch that you file down to fix the feed issues.

There is some adjustability with the forearm and trigger guard, but it is limited more to how tight the magazine is in the magwell whereas the latch sets the magazine depth:

Step 6: Insert a magazine to test for fit, the forend can be moved forward or backward a small amount to adjust the magazine
fit. Additionally, the trigger guard can be moved a small amount as well if necessary, this will require removal of the
barreled action. Due to the magazine design of the AICS magazine and the magwell of the Bravo, it may be possible to put
pressure on the mag and push it up against the bolt. For this reason we do not recommend resting the gun on the magazine
when firing. ***Ignore this step for T1x.

Those new bolt faces often shave a bit of brass then start behaving.

I am seating the mags. They have a little bit of up and down play. If I push and hold them up it feeds fine. If I don't it has issues.
OK, that wasn`t clear to me that you have to hold them. Needless to say, that`s not functionally feasible.
Make sure you are pulling the bolt rearward all the way until the bolt stops.
With a 223 the case ejects and there is still quite a bit of rearward travel required to allow the
bolt head to get past the end of the next round and allow it to rise.
Yep, I noticed that as well on mine. I`ve also noticed that when I move the bolt forward when cycling, having the bolt rotated fully to the top of the throw engages the next round in the magazine more fully when I shove the bolt forward.

I've been running the MDT polymer mags in my 223 Remage Bravo for a few years and luckily had zero feeding issues. Last year I put together a 300BLK rifle with another Bravo chassis and ultimately had to get the magazine latch that you file down to fix the feed issues.

There is some adjustability with the forearm and trigger guard, but it is limited more to how tight the magazine is in the magwell whereas the latch sets the magazine depth:

Step 6: Insert a magazine to test for fit, the forend can be moved forward or backward a small amount to adjust the magazine
fit. Additionally, the trigger guard can be moved a small amount as well if necessary, this will require removal of the
barreled action. Due to the magazine design of the AICS magazine and the magwell of the Bravo, it may be possible to put
pressure on the mag and push it up against the bolt. For this reason we do not recommend resting the gun on the magazine
when firing. ***Ignore this step for T1x.
I was playing around with the trigger guard and forend adjustment. In another thread they said it fixed the issues but yeah all it was doing was snugging up the mag in the chassis.

How much did you file down the extended latch? Ill probaboy just go adjustable so that if i use it elsewhere in the future its ready to go.
Those new bolt faces often shave a bit of brass then start behaving.
This one's about 12 years old now. She's rough on brass but shoots well.. if I can get it feeding well ill treat it to a new barrel this spring 😄

I was playing around with the trigger guard and forend adjustment. In another thread they said it fixed the issues but yeah all it was doing was snugging up the mag in the chassis.

How much did you file down the extended latch? Ill probaboy just go adjustable so that if i use it elsewhere in the future its ready to go.

The amount of material removed is going to be unique for your rifle/chassis/magazine combination. I'd dedicate/procure X number of mags for the system and go from there. That's what I did with the 300BLK rifle and five MDT metal mags. Note @st1650 observation above:

I have the newish (I think 2020/2021) MDT 10 rounds 223 mag (metal) with the longer feed lips
Accurate mags - 5 rounds

All of these have different mag catch height. The new MDT metal mag rides a bit higher than the others, so be mindful if you set up your mag latch height to work with the plastic mag, you might encounter bolt drag on the feed lips on the metal mag because they'll ride too high.

Reactions: flyfisher117
The amount of material removed is going to be unique for your rifle/chassis/magazine combination. I'd dedicate/procure X number of mags for the system and go from there. That's what I did with the 300BLK rifle and five MDT metal mags. Note @st1650 observation above:

Thanks I did notice all 3 mags are slightly different on the catch location. I got the adjustable trigger guard on order. If it fixes the issue I'll tune it to my favorite mag then get rid of the rest or modify them to lock in with my favorites.

Reactions: bunsen27
The KRG Bravo are an excellent stock for the money and all mine feed perfectly (except my Bravo Rimfire CZ457, but that's farken 22LR mags for ya...)
In saying that a, mod is needed to the bolt stop on some actions in the Bravo so bolt can run rear enough for clean case pickup with 223 rounds (see photos, this example is a Howa 1500.)
As others mentioned, adjust feed lips a bit(open out so cases sit higher) on metal mags to see if that helps
or use an adjustable latch to get mags to sit higher in well.
Good luck

Attachments

• Howa .223 Bolt Stop 2.jpg
    Howa .223 Bolt Stop 2.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Howa .223 Bolt Stop.jpg
    Howa .223 Bolt Stop.jpg
    750.6 KB · Views: 32

Accurate mags - 5 rounds

The action should stop the mags from riding to high. Unless it's an AW cut running AI mags. Which a factory 700 is not.

Pull the bolt all the way back before inserting the mag. Don't insert the mag with the bolt closed
I have tried both ways. There's just too much up and down magazine movement or the follower doesn't have enough pressure for the last few rounds allowing the case 5o drop below the bolt as it tips up into the chamber.
The KRG Bravo are an excellent stock for the money and all mine feed perfectly (except my Bravo Rimfire CZ457, but that's farken 22LR mags for ya...)
In saying that a, mod is needed to the bolt stop on some actions in the Bravo so bolt can run rear enough for clean case pickup with 223 rounds (see photos, this example is a Howa 1500.)
As others mentioned, adjust feed lips a bit(open out so cases sit higher) on metal mags to see if that helps
or use an adjustable latch to get mags to sit higher in well.
Good luck
Thanks for the pics. My brother is now wanting to drop his Howa 223 into a chassis. I'll forward those too him.
I got the KRG adjustable trigger guard on order.
The metal MDT mags have a plastic liner now allowing any feed lip adjustments. It sounds like the new Accurate mags also have a plastic liner?

No idea if this will help, but following some posted suggestions, I loaded my magazines and let them sit up loaded for a few days. Then cycled them and they ran fine. I wish I could identify the one thing ( if indeed it was only one thing ) that I did that solved my early on feeding problems. The things I did:
1. The above mentioned magazine spring " seasoning".
2. Load the magazines into the well with authority, always loading the magazines with the bolt completely open.
3. When cycling, bring the bolt all the way to the rear.
4. When closing the bolt forward in cycling, making sure that the bolt handle is all the way to the top of the handle throw.

Pull the mags apart and stretch the spring to give them more push further up.

Also lay them in a flat surface and make sure they spring is laying flat and not twisted, if it’s twisted it will be dragging toe follower in the side of the mag body and towards the end of the springs travel range or could be enough friction/resistance to keep it lowered and not pushing the rounds all the way up.

I have a MPA chassis with adjustable mag latch, i use a 223 accurate mag and with the CDG action runs very smooth, I just purchased a MDT polly mag. I had to sand the ends of the magazine smooth, and file the bottom of the mag catch a few thousandths. I did not adjust the latch. Both mags load and latch, but the accurate mag is much smoother running the bolt, more spring tension in the MDT mag.

Thanks all. Got the Adjustable trigger guard from KRG and got it installed. Made sure to snug up the magazine slot too. All magazines feed fine.

The metal MDT being the worst initially is now 20 for 20. Only issue it had is if I tried feeding a round extremely slow while tugging the magazine down. Snugged up the mag catch a bit more and it's good now.

The poly MDT mags need polished, maybe the end sanded down just a tad they are extremely tight front to back but they are now feeding 20 for 20 too.

The magpul mags were the most reliable initially. They are feeding no issue and they are also the most sloppy fitting in the gun.

Will keep tinkering and will post any major updates if something changes, that way if someone else has an issue the thread may be useful for them later on. 😉