• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 bolt rifle:any recommendations on a Savage /Ruger for under$800

McCabin

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2020
Any recommendations on a bolt 223.
Currently have a stevens model 200-trigger at 3.5.
not sure if I should put in a Timney-some shops in my area will not guarantee any new trigger will work!

What do you intend for a use? Target? Hunting? Both?
I have two Savage bolt actions in .223, both have been and are currently functioning flawlessly. One is a 110 Storm which is in all respects a hunting rifle. I also shoot it occasionally for casual range shooting. It is boringly accurate with its preferred loads. My newly acquired Savage Model 12 LRPV is a dedicated target gun, very stable ( Heavy! ) and is proving to be extremely accurate as well. The 110 can be within your budget. The LRPV I`m afraid cannot.
You will get a whole lot of responses promoting Tikka rifles on SH. They are indeed fine rifles. You`ll get lots of fans of individual brands. What you won`t get a lot of, unfortunately, are objective, side by side brand comparisons from owner/shooters who own and shoot more than one brand. If you are fortunate and you do, those are the ones that are probably most useful.

Last edited: