• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 build help

smadam78

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2011
Looking to do a 223 rem is $2500 a reasonable budget les optics

I’d look for an older SPS tactical, change the trigger, and drop it in the stock of your choice. Should be sub $1500 if the used market moons align for you.

Reactions: RMB
Zermatt Origin/Defiance tenacity: $875/$885
Prefit barrel (nut or shouldered): $400-$700
Aftermarket trigger: $150-$300
Stock/chassis:$350-$XXXX

Lots of options, price doesn't include tools. A bunch of smiths/companies sell complete barreled actions, so you don't technically need to buy tools for a barrel install if you don't want. If that's the route you go, just install trigger, and slap the the whole thing in a stock or chassis, call it done.

Reactions: jLorenzo
You looking to built a trainer or a hunter? I’m in the process to went with a 1/7 twist to shoot heavier bullets

Lots of options, price doesn't include tools. A bunch of smiths/companies sell complete barreled actions, so you don't technically need to buy tools for a barrel install if you don't want. If that's the route you go, just install trigger, and slap the the whole thing in a stock or chassis, call it done.

This but I will add the ARC Nucleus to the fray. Both it and the Origin are hard to beat.

Can you comment on the pros and cons of Nut vs. Shoulder? I havent done either but nut seems to make more sense if your installing the barrel yourself.

Can you comment on the pros and cons of Nut vs. Shoulder? I havent done either but nut seems to make more sense if your installing the barrel yourself.
No real cons other than super ugly. Nuts were prominent when people were home barrel swapping receivers that weren’t super high quality, because the installer could set headspace on the bench. Now that there are a host of manufacturers that make rem-clone receivers that guarantee headspace, shouldered barrels became an option. They're a little easier to install. Just screw in and tighten. The nut barrels remain slightly cheaper and more available than shouldered on average. Personal preference really.

Reactions: spife7980
Generally, barrel-nut barrels are cheaper, but are a little harder to install. I say "harder" but that doesn't mean it's a difficult process. Just requires an additional wrench (for the nut) and the process itself of setting the headspace may take more time.

Where a shouldered barrel install is simply screwing the barrel on and torquing it to recommended specs.

$2500 is very easy. As mentioned above the Bighorn Origin is a great option. One other thing it can do that others can't is be able to change the bolt head so you can build the .223 but then if you wanted it to be a 6 Creed down the road you just swap the bolt head and barrel and you have a 6 Creed. Or any other .308 sized cartridge. You aren't stuck with the .223 size head cartridges. You could even go to a short magnum cartridge as they make a magnum bolt face too.

Get a shouldered prefit barrel from @bohem at PVA and it's as easy as screwing a nut on a bolt to install. Then grab a good stock like a Manners or a chassis of choice and you will be under your $2500 mark and have a hell of a rifle.