• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 bullet seating die

hdfoxguns

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2010
texas
What do you feel is the best .223 seating die to run on a Dillon 1050? I currently am useing a Dillon? I want one that has a micromiter on it for easy adjustments on OAL. Also, do you guy use a taper crimp on your .223. I resize, deprime, swedge primer pockets and then trim on Dillon 1200 on my 1050. I have crimped for years, but now am considering doing away with this step. One reason, my loaded round hits the crimp die as the shell plate is rotating. Loaded rounds are 2.250 oal with Montana Gold FMJ.

Re: .223 bullet seating die

I use Redding competition micrometer seating dies and feel they are superior. I have used the Forester Micrometer dies and I don't think they are the same quality. I don't crimp .223 because I only shoot it out of a bolt gun any more.

Steer clear of the Redding seater. As per Redding's instructions with their die, they are not ment for progressive reloading or for compressed charges. The seating stem is too soft. That was Redding's tech that advised me on that, that I should have read the instructions when the seating stem hung up.

I've never had an issue with the Forester dies. I load progressivly and do compress charges. No issues whatsoever.

I'm currently using the Forster Micro seater in my LNL progressive....works great. I read a post a few above this one about runout - there was a good post about Redding's dies - I'll be trying those out next.
I'm using a Lee FCD directly after the Forster seater. I noticed a increase in accuracy in both my AR and my Father's AR platform when crimping with the Lee FCD.
I've read many posts on to crimp, or not to crimp - and decided to try it out. Glad I did.