• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .223 can okay to use on rimfire?

Mike407

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
Orlando, Florida
I just bought a sure fire can for my .223 rifles and I plan to also use it on a .22lr rifle. Is this ok to do? I heard that the rimfire cans get dirty and need cleaning and I don't want to mess up my centerfire can by shooting .22 through it.

Personally, I would not do it. I have a Sparrow II, which I have for all rimfire, and it is rated up to the 5.7x28. The Sparrow II allows disassembly for cleaning, and it is amazing the junk that accumulates in the SII. Rimfire, due to an all lead, non-jacketed projectile, is shedding lead. There are some much more knowledgeable folks here that may or will disagree, but I don't want to clog my other suppressors.

I would not do it, plus consider that any .223 can is going to be WAY heavier and larger than a SS Sparrow or comparable. Think 6.5oz, 1" Diameter compared to 16-+20oz and 1.5" Diameter plus .223 is generally quite a bit longer.

If your suppressor can break down for cleaning then I would not worry about. But if you can't take it apart then I would recommend 22lr suppressor that can be taken apart for cleaning. I have a 22 sparrow and it's a very nice can. But if you're not looking to spend near $500 on a 22lr can then Huntertown has some for half the price I have used before that work well.

Thanks for the info guys! I'm glad I asked before messing up my centerfire can. Is Sparrow the go to can for a .22 then? I'm wiling to pay for a higher end can if its going to not degrade accuracy and have a minimal POI shift.

You won't damage the 223 can shooting 22lr through it. What happens is buildup. And if you can remove that buildup, you can keep the 223 can in as-new condition. In order to remove the buildup, you will need to use one of two easy methods: ultrasonic or "the dip." The dip is a 50/50 solution of regular white vinegar and regular 3% hydrogen peroxide. It will dissolve almost all of the lead in the buildup (regardless of whether you are using it on a 223 can or a pile of dust on the floor). Beware of all this dissolved lead - it can soak through your skin and cause multiple health problems. Once you have "dipped" your can, you have to manually remove all the remaining buildup. Minor manual agitiation, such as a dental pick, will remove it. You can also place the item in the ultrasonic at this point. BEWARE that aluminum is not safe for use in the dip or an ultrasonic cleaner; these are STEEL ONLY operations.
So, if you have a steel can, even if it doesn't disassemble, you can all but fill it up with 22lr buildup, dip it then run through the ultrasonic and have a mostly new condition can. A good ultrasonic will cost you north of $500. That's about what a good 22 can costs. You make the decision.

My customers give their newby buddies their 223 cans for use on their 22s while they use their 22 cans. All ears are happy and the newby becomes my customer because nobody likes to use a 223 can on a 22 when a 22 can is available.

Last edited:
Bengineer,

The .223 can is a surefire 5.56socomrc. It's coated tan, made of multiple alloys I think. Any idea if I would have a problem dipping this?

Call Surefire and ask them what maintenance you should and can do. Their customer service is pretty good and they are used to getting questions like this. They stand behind their products and want it to last your lifetime.

Get a .22 can, the Sparrow SS is the sheet!

Just checked out some video of the SS Sparrow. That's does look awesome. I think I'll be better off going this route. I'll be able to use it on a pistol too, big +